Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coal - Queensland's future

Coal - Queensland's future

Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coal - Queensland's future

Originally Posted by Chimmel
I don't want to get too involved, but I had to point out that it's fairly strange to 'factually prove' a 'theory'. By definition a theory is an idea that fills in the blanks between what is known and unknown and makes an educated guess.

I think Global warming is the most over-hyped thing ever. Yes we should be reducing emissions (though methane is far worse for the environment than carbon and we're all leaking it every day - not to mention from the compost heaps we are told to build), recycling etc... but I expect that this is what happens to the planet and it has been coming for millions fo years. We may accelerate things a fraction on the planets timescale, but we could never stop what is inevitable.

That's just my "factual theory"...

Also, getting gas from coal bed methane projects looks like it is about to take off in Australia. If successful, that could be the next big thing up Queensland way!!!
Well if you've used a model (or models), to predict things at several points in time, then certain points in those models start becoming reality, you'll find your theory is being proved correct through evidence (facts).

Global warming is slightly different to climate change.
But you're right, Methane is four times as bad as CO2 when it comes to climate change, but the amount we leak out in waste is absolutely insignificant to the amount on the sea bed.

You don't work for an oil company do you? Just noticed your location.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

It's good to see that the Qld government has not swallowed the global warming hysteria like KRudd and Co. has:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...25-601,00.html
Krudd releases his ETS papers, today I think wait till the aussie public finds out what thats going to do to the price of fuel and electricity and therefor all things related such as food, housing, building materials, transport..........

Repeat now 'working families'
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Well thanks for your response. Interesting to note that despite your concerns about climate change and global warming. You are going to join the rest of us and forsake your principles and move to Australia where the current expansion in mineral extraction is fueling the economy and therefore the employment market. Or are you going to work for free?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chimmel
I don't want to get too involved, but I had to point out that it's fairly strange to 'factually prove' a 'theory'. By definition a theory is an idea that fills in the blanks between what is known and unknown and makes an educated guess.

Actually it depends on whether the word Theory is being used in the common sense or the scientific sense. What you've said is correct for common usage but in the scientific usage a Theory must be backed by facts otherwise it is just a conjecture, an opinion, a speculation, or a hypothesis.

Mr Semantic
Brother to Mr Pedantic
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Letspretend....
Well thanks for your response. Interesting to note that despite your concerns about climate change and global warming. You are going to join the rest of us and forsake your principles and move to Australia where the current expansion in mineral extraction is fueling the economy and therefore the employment market. Or are you going to work for free?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Australia or the people who live there down, I love the place. This doesn't just apply to OZ, it's the responsibility of single human being on the planet to do something about it.

I don't have a choice about moving there, my wife's job has been relocated there, so we're going. When it comes down to ripping your family apart (or slightly compromising your principles, then I know what I'd choose every time.

Also, I'd just like to add that there is nothing wrong with 'mineral extraction' per se, just the amount of coal that is intended to be burned.
If I was living in Perth for example, I'd be a bit worried about the plans for the new coal fired power station.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastone
Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Australia or the people who live there down, I love the place. This doesn't just apply to OZ, it's the responsibility of single human being on the planet to do something about it.

I don't have a choice about moving there, my wife's job has been relocated there, so we're going. When it comes down to ripping your family apart (or slightly compromising your principles, then I know what I'd choose every time.

Also, I'd just like to add that there is nothing wrong with 'mineral extraction' per se, just the amount of coal that is intended to be burned.
If I was living in Perth for example, I'd be a bit worried about the plans for the new coal fired power station.
Nuclear Power the only way to go
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

It depends on the environment of the country concerned. Australia has a huge amount of space and sun, perfect for developing solar power (which heats some pools and homes already) and also in certain areas is very suitable for wind farms.
Both forms of electricity generation are from maximum efficiency, so what better country to develop them further.
Nonsense, solar and wind are hugely inefficient ways to produce electricity. Its dark at least 50% of the day FFS. Drive past any wind farm in the UK and I'll gaurentee at least 1/4 won't be working, even in ideal conditions. Without goverment subsidies, or hugely inflated electricity prices, neither currently can make any meaningful contribution to the electricity requirements of any industrialised country.
Be honest, if a windmill was efficient why don't we still use them to pump water or mill corn?

You don't work for an oil company do you? Just noticed your location.
Don't know about him but I'm a former NE Scotland oil worker, now NSW oil and gas/mining and power station contractor , same s..t, different dog.

If I was living in Perth I'd be more worried about relying on poorly maintained pipelines and facilities to get a gas supply. A coal fired power station in Perth will make a miniscule difference in world terms to enviromental pollution. Think Veranus Island.

Yep, dig it up, ship it out, ship in 4WD gas guzzlers and 300HP Japanese outboard engines in exchange. Who says this country's not got their priorities right.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Nuclear Power the only way to go
Correct 100%. Only problem Krudd and Howard before are/were shit scared of coal industry unions and appeasing tree huggers.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the best way to tackle pollution is to introduce another type of pollution?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Correct 100%. Only problem Krudd and Howard before are/were shit scared of coal industry unions and appeasing tree huggers.
And with the possibly the worlds biggest resources in Uranium easy peasy, The only way to go, With Coal and Gas resourses rapidly depleating I can see it happening here in the not too distant future (Time to Invest in the Uranium Mining Companies) me thinks

John
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
And with the possibly the worlds biggest resources in Uranium easy peasy, The only way to go, With Coal and Gas resourses rapidly depleating

The world is not running short of coal anytime soon.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The world is not running short of coal anytime soon.
Or gas.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by upyerfud

I'm afraid you're under the mistaken impression that Howard and latterly Krudd or even the unions are calling the shots.

The country is ostensibly owned and run by the two major resource miners. When the CEO of Rio Tinto is calling $147billion (US) a 'serious undevaluement of the company' you have joined a whole new world where calculators have extra zeros on them.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:53 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheRutters
I'm afraid you're under the mistaken impression that Howard and latterly Krudd or even the unions are calling the shots.

The country is ostensibly owned and run by the two major resource miners. When the CEO of Rio Tinto is calling $147billion (US) a 'serious undevaluement of the company' you have joined a whole new world where calculators have extra zeros on them.

The australian government gets significant revenue from taxation of resources, but perhaps not quite as much as you think.

I guess that the UK and the US aren't run by their governments either....perhaps they are they run by a secret illuminati of financial institutions?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I live on a hill.

The other section of the scientific community is saying that global warming is a natural event. Who's right? I don't claim to know either way - I don't have a science Phd.

Please explain how we will maintain our prosperity, our status as one of the richest countries in the world, our no.3 spot on the HDI etc if we don't exploit our natural resources.
you live on a hill, you got that right.
how many oil rich countries in this world you don't give a shit about are democracies? you think it's a coincidence?

why do you think crony capitalism is flourishing 'down under', you bitch about groceries prices and import anything that requires tightening 2 screws together? i hear holden is a great brand in australia.

i'm not sayin, i'm just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.