Clothes Woes

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough
Default Clothes Woes

ARRGH!
WASHING CLOTHES HERE IS A NIGHTMARE!

Toploaders - poor washers and leave fluff over your clothes.
The Sun - ruins clothes even when turned inside out.
Pegs - leave outline of EXACTLY where they've been on your clothes.
Birds - They peck holes in clothes all the time.
Pegs - Ok they're cheap but they break all the time due to the heat, then get caught up in the mower then spin up wildly towards me

All in all, think that pretty much our entire wardrobe is ruined(Ok a slight exaggeration) but we're pretty peeved at the damage caused to our wardrobes since arriving in Oz.

Any tips? - We've got a tumble drier but it's expensive to run and seemed crazy to use it when the sun was shining - now not so sure!

Unfortunately, our clothes spinner is beside a peach tree and the birds do love peaches(and my clothes)

Any help appreciated
John
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:04 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Clothes Woes

1. Use cycle with "soak" portion.
2. Clean lint filter.
3. Calculate actual cost of dryer electricity.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The advantage of having been in a furnished rented apartment has meant that we have gained experience of the top loader before actually buying our own machine.

Our experience is the same.....fluff on everything and mangled clothes.
We are due to move to an unfurnished house rental soon so shopped over the xmas for a new washing machine; amongst other items.

Without exception the sales assistants we spoke to all agreed, "yes, they do that don't they" and without exception they all now own front loaders and would not go back to the top variety.

The top loader holds a larger wash and is quicker so more economical.......but a false economy when you consider th damage they do. I did notice some new versions that have taken out the central spindle in favour of water jets on the bottom of the drum.

Personally I can't imagine those water jets having the power to lift and separate (cross your heart anyone ?) big wet sheets or towels for example. Needless to say we bought a front loader. Expect to pay approx AUD 200 more for them.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Get a front loader. The Bloke knows if he buys another top loader I will divorce him!
This NEARLY NEW machine produces clothes covered in streaks and/or fluff, clothes as dirty as when they went in, clothes without buttons, bras without wires, etc etc
My black jeans were washed FIVE times and are still more white than black.
And thats using liquid, not powder. The only way I can get stuff clean is to put in no more than 6 items at a time, with double the recommended liquid amount, and its still hit and miss.
yes top loaders are faster but they do more damage and they don't get stuff clean. So, sorry if I'm missing the point, but what is a washing machine designed to do.......clean your clothes without destroying them??

Is there a market out there for the wires that used to be in my bras....?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is there a market out there for the wires that used to be in my bras....?
Emergency back up for the Sydney suspension bridge ?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Emergency back up for the Sydney suspension bridge ?
You cheeky B****rd! Have just spat Baileys all over the keyboard laughing at that!
I haven't laughed so much since Cresta57 exploded when he saw Mrs Cresta's dental bill!

I shall leave it on the screen for The Bloke to see in the morning!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Don't put the keyboard in a toploader Polly.
Would get covered with fluff
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't put the keyboard in a toploader Polly.
Would get covered with fluff
And it wouldn't get the Baileys off it either!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

I live in Southern California and almost nobody 'pegs' washing out. Most of us have top loaders and everyone uses the dryer. When you think about it the time it takes you to hang out all the washing, the effects of the sun on it, the time it takes to get it all in again, peg marks 'an all you will save time and money if you just changed the British mentality of 'pegging' out the washing and dumped the whole lot in the dryer. The result is far less if any ironing (since I've lived over here I rarely iron anything)! I can remember the days back in the UK when I knew people who would get up at 5am just to spend 2 hours ironing!! As for the misconception that everything smells better after being hung out in the open air, what a load of rubbish. As I don't live in Australia I cant comment on the Australian mentality of 'pegging out' , although my brother has lived in Perth for the last two years and I know for a fact that him and his wife still 'peg' out the washing. Forget the fact that the sun is shining and being tempted by 'saving money' its a false economy.

Good luck with your new wardrobe
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:12 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by doodle
Hi John,

I live in Southern California and almost nobody 'pegs' washing out. Most of us have top loaders and everyone uses the dryer. When you think about it the time it takes you to hang out all the washing, the effects of the sun on it, the time it takes to get it all in again, peg marks 'an all you will save time and money if you just changed the British mentality of 'pegging' out the washing and dumped the whole lot in the dryer. The result is far less if any ironing (since I've lived over here I rarely iron anything)! I can remember the days back in the UK when I knew people who would get up at 5am just to spend 2 hours ironing!! As for the misconception that everything smells better after being hung out in the open air, what a load of rubbish. As I don't live in Australia I cant comment on the Australian mentality of 'pegging out' , although my brother has lived in Perth for the last two years and I know for a fact that him and his wife still 'peg' out the washing. Forget the fact that the sun is shining and being tempted by 'saving money' its a false economy.

Good luck with your new wardrobe
Cheers

Yes you're right, I think we'll just have to start getting into the habit of using our tumble drier! (certainly for the next few hot months).

And yes, people do very much peg out the washing here. Everything here is done in the English way! Tea and Scones anyone?

Thanks for the reply - the thing that bugs me more than anything is the pesky birds pecking holes in clothes - I've not seen them but what else could cause it?

John

Last edited by SherKhan66; Jan 4th 2005 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

We just use a clothing rack indoors and the drying line for towels and sheets. Top loader does wreck clothes.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
the thing that bugs me more than anything is the pesky birds pecking holes in clothes - I've not seen them but what else could cause it?
John
Are you sure it isn't the top loader doing that ? Ours caused all sorts of rips and holes, till I persuaded the wife to change to a front loader

Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
ARRGH!
WASHING CLOTHES HERE IS A NIGHTMARE!

Toploaders - poor washers and leave fluff over your clothes.
The Sun - ruins clothes even when turned inside out.
Pegs - leave outline of EXACTLY where they've been on your clothes.
Birds - They peck holes in clothes all the time.
Pegs - Ok they're cheap but they break all the time due to the heat, then get caught up in the mower then spin up wildly towards me

All in all, think that pretty much our entire wardrobe is ruined(Ok a slight exaggeration) but we're pretty peeved at the damage caused to our wardrobes since arriving in Oz.

Any tips? - We've got a tumble drier but it's expensive to run and seemed crazy to use it when the sun was shining - now not so sure!

Unfortunately, our clothes spinner is beside a peach tree and the birds do love peaches(and my clothes)

Any help appreciated
John
I have a top loader at the moment in my rental - I hate it . I shall be purchasing a front loader soonwhen we move into our own place. The local council also gives you a $100 rebate if you purchase certain machines which are good for water usage.

Sorry John, got no tips for you except hang your clothes out inside out and that might help a bit with the fading - that is what I always did previously when I lived on the med.

Last edited by debsy; Jan 4th 2005 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by debsy
Sorry John, got no tips for you except hang your clothes out inside out and that might help a bit with the fading - that is what I always did previously when I lived on the med.
I've always wondered why my wife hangs them inside out !! But never got around to asking

Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:18 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Topic keeps repeating. Have had none of the problems outlined. Just accept that Europeans like washing horizontally and be done with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.