Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes size UK/Aus-ladies!

Clothes size UK/Aus-ladies!

Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:02 pm
👽

Hel83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Clothes size UK/Aus-ladies!

I've checked a few online tools for this, but get various different answers!

I'm wondering if UK (women's) clothes sizes are the same in Oz?
Eg; UK 8-AUS 8??

From what I've read it seems that it either is the same, or Oz size is one up
Eg; UK 8-AUS 10...

And also bra sizing! From what I've read it seems that cup size is the same UK-AUS, but is the band measurement labelled differently?...

I realise that wherever you shop, it's still never a certainty that the size you think will fit, will in one shop, but not another!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes size UK/Aus-ladies!

Originally Posted by Hel83
I've checked a few online tools for this, but get various different answers!

I'm wondering if UK (women's) clothes sizes are the same in Oz?
Eg; UK 8-AUS 8??

From what I've read it seems that it either is the same, or Oz size is one up
Eg; UK 8-AUS 10...

And also bra sizing! From what I've read it seems that cup size is the same UK-AUS, but is the band measurement labelled differently?...

I realise that wherever you shop, it's still never a certainty that the size you think will fit, will in one shop, but not another!
Clothes sizes are not the same and there doesn't seem to be any real parallel to UK sizes (sometimes they're the same size, sometimes it's a size smaller, sometimes it's a size bigger)

Bras are sized by dress size and cup size, so they'd be a 16D/14C/12DD etc.

I did just have a look at some online converters and some of them seem to claim that UK and AUS dress sizes are the same -it's a lie

If you're determined to buy online, you're better off taking your actual measurements (in cm and inches) and only buying from sites which give these measurements.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:50 pm
👽

Hel83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply-might just use ASOS online and stick to what I know!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I could wear trousers for a 13 year old girl, but here I have to buy 16 year olds. I was an 8-10 in the UK, but here I can be a 6 in dresses, and a 10 in trousers and a 12 in tops!! Look at the market it is designed for- things that have Chinese/Japanese influence will be smaller than those with a UK/USA influence, and young people's stuff is either smaller, or designed for someone who is 6 feet tall!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind clothes, what about shoe sizes?

I used to be a UK 6 or a European 39. I have Australian shoes ranging from 7.5 to 9.5 and they all fit the same feet.

I can better predict whether my French mail order clothes will fit than I can anything Australian. It doesn't matter where I shop - Target to David Jones. The only good thing is that trousers here are long enough and some I even have to shorten.