Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for moving to Perth

Advice for moving to Perth

Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

mushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant future
Default Advice for moving to Perth

Hi everyone

I just joined the forum as it seems like a good place to get some solid, reliable information from people who've been there themselves. I'm 26 years old, just got accepted on a working holiday visa and plan to move to Perth around late September.

I'm wondering what advice you would all give for someone in terms of where an affordable area would be to live for someone of my age and relatively humble means. For work I'm hoping get employment as an English as a Foreign Language Teacher, which I did both in Japan and England, although I know this may not be easy.

A lot of the posts on here seem to indicate that it's often best to simply show up and organise things as you get there. Can anyone verify this?

If not, can anyone recommend any reliable websites for organising a house share, as I doubt I'll be able to afford living by myself.

Also, any general advice regarding documentation, immigration, visas, life in Perth, job opportunities and so forth would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for moving to Perth

Gumtree is probably your best bet for shared accomodation.

There is a fair bit of casual work about in Perth. Cant comment on teaching English other than all teaching here seems highly regulated and qualifacations are normal at degree level even for nursery teachers.

What do you want to know about immigration? It is totaly non related to WHV. If you are looking to stay hear beyond your WHV there are 3 options. 1 PR visa. Do the visa wizard on the immi.gov.au web site to see if you may qualify. 2. Student visa. But be aware it can be VERY expensive. 3. Sponsored visa such as 457, the likelyhood of securing one would depend a lot on your skills and experience.

Life in Perth. Well, its a big city, nice climate, it will be Spring when you arrive which in my opinion is the best time of the year. It depends a lot on what you want.

Documentation. Well, it depends. If you qualify for a PR visa and intend to apply, then as much as you can possibly bring. If you are just coming on the WHV then you are in effect on holiday. Driving licence obviously.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by verystormy
Gumtree is probably your best bet for shared accomodation.
I would second that. Seems to be plenty of stuff on there for a singleton.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

mushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into a PR visa soon, though I am a little concerned I won't have the qualifications or relevant experience in whatever fields they're looking for. As for accomodation, flatmates.com looks quite promising.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

We came to Perth in Dec 2011 with the great intentions of starting a new life, living the dream, having all the quality.... but we can't wait to leave and go back to the UK.

There is little quality here, education being the key. As a result we are totally under-stimulated. I would never recommend that anybody come to live here.
Sorry for the negativity.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You've only done 8 months...
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Yup. I guess you know pretty much straight away whether it is the right move for you and we have never managed to get rid of that 'oh my god what have we done' feeling.

I have never seen my family so miserable and unhappy.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

ChocOrange, if you don't mind me asking, can you go into more detail as to why you and your family were so unhappy there?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

Are you set on moving to perth? or are you flexible?

And were you planning on teaching english/japanese? depending on the job you are after, you might have a bit more luck in other cities. E.g somewhere like Brisbane/Gold coast which has a huge japanese population.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mushroomyakuza
ChocOrange, if you don't mind me asking, can you go into more detail as to why you and your family were so unhappy there?
They already did..

Post #14

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...php?p=10212577
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Timmo84
Are you set on moving to perth? or are you flexible?

And were you planning on teaching english/japanese? depending on the job you are after, you might have a bit more luck in other cities. E.g somewhere like Brisbane/Gold coast which has a huge japanese population.

Nope, it's gotta be Perth, at least to start with. (girlfriend).

I'd like to teach English if possible yes, I've heard back from two language schools asking me to get in touch when I'm there.

I read ChocOrange's posts in the other thread and while I appreciate the advice, I think everyone has to find out for themself at the end of the day.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:50 am
Banned

Location: Portsmouth, well I went there once, I think, and Australia
Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
We came to Perth in Dec 2011 with the great intentions of starting a new life, living the dream, having all the quality.... but we can't wait to leave and go back to the UK.

There is little quality here, education being the key. As a result we are totally under-stimulated. I would never recommend that anybody come to live here.
Sorry for the negativity.
That's WA for you, really should have gone elsewhere. It's good for a holiday though, with excellent fishing!