Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Driving in Uk

Advice on Driving in Uk

Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

wltrspatr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Driving in Uk

My grandson who holds an Australian full driving licence is 20 yrs. old in August 2012 and is coming to visit me in the Uk for 3 weeks.

I would like to get him car insurance so that he can drive my car while he is in the UK by I am finding it very difficult.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Pat
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:10 pm
👽

Hel83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on Driving in Uk

Have you called your insurance company? I did this for my sister- added her on my insurance for 3 weeks and they just charged me for that period of time...
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I did that today and they said they wouldn't give a quote because of his age and because he hasn't been resident in UK in the last 3 years. Who is your insurer? mine is AA

Pat
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wltrspatr
Yes, I did that today and they said they wouldn't give a quote because of his age and because he hasn't been resident in UK in the last 3 years. Who is your insurer? mine is AA

Pat
I guess as you said, it must be related to his age.

My dad always puts me on the insurance when I go over. Last time it was a for a month and the additional premium was less than 10 quid I think. Insurer is Direct Line.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I will try them
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:18 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've never had any problems being put on my parents or sisters insurance when I've been in UK - There is a cost (unlike adding them to my insurance here), but its only minimal and still waaaaay cheaper than hiring a car.

...There's the added bonus too that any speeding fines accrued in that period get a stat. dec. filled in by the cars owner saying that the driver was me with my Australian address - and then we never hear from them again.

Unfortunately the same isnt true in the other direction and speeding fines clocked up by my family visiting me in Brisbane have been pursued across international borders after my stat. dec. naming a driver with a UK address.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wltrspatr

Pat

It sounds like they think you are trying to take out a separate policy for him. You simply need to add him to your policy for the duration of his stay.

My parents do this to me whenever I visit, and the last time it didn't actually cost them anything at all.

S
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It sounds like they think you are trying to take out a separate policy for him. You simply need to add him to your policy for the duration of his stay.

My parents do this to me whenever I visit, and the last time it didn't actually cost them anything at all.

S
I'm sure they'll have a price to pay for the grandson though, being only 20, especially if they're over 50/60 or whatever the age is over there now which presumably they are
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm sure they'll have a price to pay for the grandson though, being only 20, especially if they're over 50/60 or whatever the age is over there now which presumably they are

Yes, I dare say they will. I imagine the insurance company probably have a predictive model that takes into account the awful standard of Aussie driving and allocates a huge risk to adding him to their policy...

S
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:18 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I dare say they will. I imagine the insurance company probably have a predictive model that takes into account the awful standard of Aussie driving and allocates a huge risk to adding him to their policy...

S
Yes....be sure to tell him that amber on the traffic lights means slow down and prepre to stop...... NOT put your foot down and fly through them clinging onto the steeriing wheel....
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks,
I have already tried to add him on to my insurance company but no go
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I wouldnt have thought they would let you add him. His age is against him to be honest.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by CORKER
Yes....be sure to tell him that amber on the traffic lights means slow down and prepre to stop...... NOT put your foot down and fly through them clinging onto the steeriing wheel....
Also no undertaking, best thing is let him just use the bus.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine why a UK insurance company arent keen on insuring a 20 year old Aussie male ?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant imagine why a UK insurance company arent keen on insuring a 20 year old Aussie male ?
For the same reason they don't like insuring any 20 year old male drivers probably.