Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

clothes needed for backpacking trip

clothes needed for backpacking trip

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: clothes needed for backpacking trip

a good travelling thing is shorts/trousers, they are trousers with zips below the knees to take the lower bits off, so you have trousers adn shorts in one. There are similar tops where the arms come off. They are designed for walking and are a great space saver item I think. Mine were north face ones, I managed to get them at an outdoor factory outlet so I go them cheap otherwise they can be on the expensive side but worth it I think.

Also they are made of material that dries really quickly good for washingf on the go.

V
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:36 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
In June the Red Centre gets very cold at night. In April it was down to 4 at night so I advise some decent layers for sleeping in. It was chilly getting out of the camper van at night.

The other matter with the red centre is I am not sure what backpacker accomodation there is at Uluru and Kings Canyon other than on the campsites.

Mlbonners experience with bed bugs is very common in backpackers hostels downunder.

I camped at both those places (in a swag no less!), at Uluru there is actually a hostel. However its the only one, costs twice what you'd normally pay and is often booked out!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I bought a "round the world" ticket & was in Aus for about 9 months of the year & I found that taking jeans was a pain in the arse because they took up more room than say cargo's in my backpack & if they didn't try in time when moving on - eeooww not good to mix with clean clothes. Also a good thing I took was a linen bag for dirty laundry to keep it seperate from clean clothes.
I think that whatever you take, you will get bored with them & either swap them with other backpackers or ditch them & buy new ones.
We took some travelling clothes detergent. We got it in Tesco's & it's a little tube of detergent to wash your clothes when on the go. It came in very handy & I would also get a first aid kit with needles & intravenous drip as you never know if you will need it!! And you know it will be steralised!
One last thing, remember to put sunscreen on the tops of your feet!
Have the best time of your life!!
Stacey
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I camped at both those places (in a swag no less!), at Uluru there is actually a hostel. However its the only one, costs twice what you'd normally pay and is often booked out!
Everything at Uluru seemed to cost twice as much. The campsite can be booked in advance. I still haven't tried the swag thing.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 11:13 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Everything at Uluru seemed to cost twice as much. The campsite can be booked in advance. I still haven't tried the swag thing.

Having it done it, I would be happy to never do it again Not that it shouldn't be tried, sleeping under the stars is great, it was all the new 'friends' i made during the night which put me off!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:21 am
Badge

You need one pair of jeans to be in with a chance of looking trendy - if, that is your thing, down the Coogee Bay Hotel - or whereever.

badge

Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:43 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DianneH68
thanks again for all the advice.
I have already invested in a 65litre back pack, which I have to say looks very small :scared:
Haven't thought too much about a sleeping bag as we're actually planning a few hotels/motels, as well as backpacker places, so I might see how long I can survive without one then buy one over there if needed.
But may well change my mind before I go!

Unless you are planning on camping I wouldn't bother with a sleeping bag. If I see anyone coming in my hostel with a sleeping bag, pillow or duvet I very nicely take it off them and store it away from the building until they leave. bed bugs travel from hostel to hostel on peoples personal sleeping equip,Pretty much most hostels will be the same.

Just to help you relax bedbugs are not a huge problem in winter however this summer there has been an epedemic.

Kala
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Unless you are planning on camping I wouldn't bother with a sleeping bag. If I see anyone coming in my hostel with a sleeping bag, pillow or duvet I very nicely take it off them and store it away from the building until they leave. bed bugs travel from hostel to hostel on peoples personal sleeping equip,Pretty much most hostels will be the same.

Just to help you relax bedbugs are not a huge problem in winter however this summer there has been an epedemic.

Kala
Thanks for that. I was debating whether or not to get one having read the advice on here.
Think I'm going to wait til I get there, and if I find I'm in desperate need of one I'll buy one over there.
Also means I won't have to lug it around with me to start with which will be a bonus.
And thanks again everyone. Now have loads of ideas of what to take (but will probably still end up with ten times too much )
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JayDeee

Kala
Do you provide sleeping bags, sheets or duvets? I remember wishing I had a sleeping bag rather than the duvet cover I had when I first arrived in Sydney in Sept. I guess the bed bug stuff has changed matters.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Do you provide sleeping bags, sheets or duvets? I remember wishing I had a sleeping bag rather than the duvet cover I had when I first arrived in Sydney in Sept. I guess the bed bug stuff has changed matters.
I've been looking at those silk liner thingys for your sleeping bag on ebay and you can pick one up for about £16.
Apparently you can use these to sleep in instead of a sleeping bag so think I might get one just in case - it won't take up much space but could come in useful in an emergency!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

In June the Red Centre gets very cold at night. In April it was down to 4 at night so I advise some decent layers for sleeping in. It was chilly getting out of the camper van at night.

The other matter with the red centre is I am not sure what backpacker accomodation there is at Uluru and Kings Canyon other than on the campsites.

Mlbonners experience with bed bugs is very common in backpackers hostels downunder.
August at Uluru the temp was down to 2 degrees overnight. Backpacker accomodation there is small dormitories (like 4 beds per room) and a trek outside to the toilet...absolutely bloomin' freezing (well, almost) if you needed to go in the night! But I just slept in layers. Kings Canyon also has dormitory accom - both expensive tho.

Definately take something to combat the backpacker-bed-bugs!

Top End was scorching hot even in middle of winter - July/August. Shorts and singlets there (altho a lightweight long sleeve layer to protect from mozzies at dusk is essential).

Have a lovely trip. We did the hostels thing at 32...hubby was a 'fridge and aircon' man before but now is a complete convert to roughing it!! (both much prefer camping to hostels tho)
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
August at Uluru the temp was down to 2 degrees overnight. Backpacker accomodation there is small dormitories (like 4 beds per room) and a trek outside to the toilet...absolutely bloomin' freezing (well, almost) if you needed to go in the night! But I just slept in layers. Kings Canyon also has dormitory accom - both expensive tho.

Definately take something to combat the backpacker-bed-bugs!

Top End was scorching hot even in middle of winter - July/August. Shorts and singlets there (altho a lightweight long sleeve layer to protect from mozzies at dusk is essential).

Have a lovely trip. We did the hostels thing at 32...hubby was a 'fridge and aircon' man before but now is a complete convert to roughing it!! (both much prefer camping to hostels tho)
Oh yes, that's another thing. mozzies. Anyone got any recommendations of what anti-mozzie spray/cream to use?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:34 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Oh yes, that's another thing. mozzies. Anyone got any recommendations of what anti-mozzie spray/cream to use?

My personal preference is spray/pump rather than cream. There are a couple of good brands out here, but it'll depend on how badly you get bitten to whether you need the industrial stuff or not
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbonner
My personal preference is spray/pump rather than cream. There are a couple of good brands out here, but it'll depend on how badly you get bitten to whether you need the industrial stuff or not
Reckon I'll go for the industrial stuff to be on the safe side!