Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clearing depts in UK

Clearing depts in UK

Old May 30th 2003, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to stick my 2p in here. If some-one doesn't pay off their loan that debt doesn't just disappear into thin air, it gets passed onto other people, whether through higher rates of interest, higher taxes etc. I hope i don't sound pompous here, but if you enter into an agreement you really should try and pay off your debt. If everybody didn't pay then we would all be in trouble....after all everybody has some sort of debt hanging over them, whether student loans mortgage, credit cards etc. If people default on their debts it can affect all of us....
Old May 30th 2003, 4:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Interested
Oh for gods sake, you were blatanly squandering tax payers money, with your bloody grant. Count yourself lucky mate, those of us who actually worked at Uni under the pathetic labour government now have 10 000s pounds worth of debt to pay off.
Just because my grant was enough to pay for food, accomodation, clothes, books, university fees, loads of beer and parties, skiing holidays, going to Europe in the summer etc - does NOT mean I was squandering it.

In my day only the best 8% could get to university so the grant was better.

Now it's more like 35% who can go to study and heading for 50% so obviously all that dross can't get such a good grant. They are not going to make such a positive contribution to society as my lot.

But I agree about the pathetic Labour government.

Cheers - Don
Old May 30th 2003, 8:38 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Uni? Grants? Students? you lot have had it easy, when I was a lad there were no colleges or universitys, we had to work down pit for 18 hours a day and glad we had the chance to work too, we never had wages in fact we had to pay the boss to work for him, I had to borrow 10 grand from boss to pay boss to work, thats my debt.
Old May 30th 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

valleygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

With a half a million asylum seekers now in the UK from troubled parts of the world all with no jobs, they get a brand new house, furniture, TV etc (for educational purposes). And £250 p/w all coming out of the tax payer.

So my point is. If the rest of us pick up the cost of bad debts left by others this is only a small portion compaired to how much the government gives away every week.

So go away with a clean mind knowing that we have done enough already.:lecture:
Old May 30th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Just because my grant was enough to pay for food, accomodation, clothes, books, university fees, loads of beer and parties, skiing holidays, going to Europe in the summer etc - does NOT mean I was squandering it.

In my day only the best 8% could get to university so the grant was better.

Now it's more like 35% who can go to study and heading for 50% so obviously all that dross can't get such a good grant. They are not going to make such a positive contribution to society as my lot.

But I agree about the pathetic Labour government.

Cheers - Don
Too many Arty, sociology & meedja Uni courses have caused too many kids to go to University, which in turn leads to degrees becoming devalued.
We need more kids going into the old trades apprenticeships not all thinking "if I get a degree I'll be made for life". Too many parents are fooled into thinking their kids doing degrees will get great jobs. Plenty of IT graduates with degrees are working in Call centers and Tescos

As for New Labour....well couldn't put my comments on this site on my views of that lot

Last edited by GetMeOutOfHere; May 30th 2003 at 9:47 am.
Old May 30th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

lenaro_w is an unknown quantity at this point

On this point I have to agree. Over the past 12 years the quality of IT graduates has gone down and down. With technology moving faster than the graduate courses it's no surprise that Call Centre's are the only place where they can gain any experience. Although not a career you can gain an aprentiship in I believe more world experience should be built into these courses to make the learners experience more valued and as such allow the graduate the chance to enter at a higher level.
Old May 30th 2003, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

my debt is £10, 000, worked part time all the way through during my full time degree (payed taxes!) had to work as i have5 kids, and at that time i was single. all the pressure this dammned government puts on us single mums to get educated and work and then they charge us £10, 000! i have qualified as a social worker (top starting pay £18,000) child care costs, no eligability for family tax credit, loan repaymnts are not means tested, so a young single student will pay back same rate as me = me migrating to oz and doing my best to avoid payments SO THERE!

Old May 30th 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the past 12 years the quality of IT graduates has gone down and down.
I have never worked with an IT graduate who is worth a damn. They know why it doesnt work because the book says. !! But can they fix it, no way pedro.

Actually I tell a lie I did work with a graduate who lobbed a server from a third story window because it kept hanging, he was a nutter but a cool guy.

Last edited by karawara88; May 30th 2003 at 4:37 pm.
Old May 30th 2003, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

lenaro_w is an unknown quantity at this point

I was trying to sugar coat it before but obviously I am not alone in my view on IT graduates.

:lecture:
Old May 30th 2003, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

each to there own go for it ellen 1