Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clearing depts in UK

Clearing depts in UK

Old Apr 15th 2002, 3:00 am
Mallysutton

Default Re: Clearing depts in UK

No what i am saying is yes you can have a mortgage etc even if you owe money in
another country, BUT if you want to become a citizen after the initial 2 years or so
they will NOT let you, as a friend of mine told me that someone she knew was refused
citizenship through bad debt in the U.K so unless the debt is payed they can never be
citizens only P.Rs, i am merely expressing something i was told about.

karen "ozbound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the advice so far.
    >
    > I am aware of the way the UK systems works but I cant see how a credit reference
    > has anything to do with citizenship.
    >
    > Also I have spoken to some financial people in Oz and they tell me that even when
    > you apply for a mortgage your history in any other country is not checked. You are
    > expected to provide the references on paper.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lizzie
    >
    > sophia x
    >
    > sophia x
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:39 am
Just Joined

copykat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by taniwha
How did a loser like you ever meet the criteria for Australia?

I find it unbelievable that you are requesting advice on how to leave your country without meeting YOUR debts, this to most people would be a moral, as well as legal, obligation. This sends a clear message on the type of character you are and to be honest, Australia doesn’t need people like you coming to it’s shores.
More to the point - how did a stuck up 'holier than thou' person like you get to be on this forum!!!

Someone asks a question (whether it be good or bad), they expect an answer - not to be flamed by some do-gooders like yourself.
The purpose of this forum is for constructive information - not for you personal grievances about someones lifestyle & debt management etc.

If you don't agree with the question or comments - keep it to yourself!! Because no one else wants to hear your petty bickering (except perhaps Sophia!)

I know if those comments where aimed at me, I would certainly take it very personally, and would not leave it here.
Old Apr 12th 2003, 10:32 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit reference agency - Australia

For reference the principal credit reference agency in Australia is (I believe) Baycorp Advantage: http://www.baycorpadvantage.com.au/

The challenge for most new arrivals is to establish some kind of (positive) credit history ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by sophia
I think you will find that different companies have different levels of debt they are prepared to write-off and a limit where they WILL try to pursue you.

What you will have to bear in mind is that Equifax and Experian (the UK's credit reference bureaux) are both global companies ie:they have offices and operate worldwide, so whilst Equifax and Experian are only the providers of credit history information to companies if Australian companies use these too you may find it difficult to get credit in Australia, especially if any company decides to check your UK credit history first. Which could happen if you have no history in Australia.

My advice would be to try and clear any debts before you leave, because if you are thinking of "going away" they may just chase you. hth
Old Apr 12th 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by copykat
More to the point - how did a stuck up 'holier than thou' person like you get to be on this forum!!!

Someone asks a question (whether it be good or bad), they expect an answer - not to be flamed by some do-gooders like yourself.
The purpose of this forum is for constructive information - not for you personal grievances about someones lifestyle & debt management etc.

If you don't agree with the question or comments - keep it to yourself!! Because no one else wants to hear your petty bickering (except perhaps Sophia!)

I know if those comments where aimed at me, I would certainly take it very personally, and would not leave it here.

Well Copycat I think you will find you are in the minority here.

I would think that the vast majority of members in this forum would consider it their duty to pay off all debts before leaving the country. For many it is a matter of principle and honour. Taniwha and Sophie are only expressing the opinions of many that this is a practise that should not be condoned.

Incidentally I find it Ironic that you should criticise them for commenting on another’s lifestyle and then do the same thing yourself.

One last point to remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. When people fail to pay off their debts it is the law abiding majority who have to fill the gap in higher premiums.

Bill
Old Apr 12th 2003, 4:10 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

My friend already out in Sydney got chased for her student loans and they were not for much only a couple of grand. They caught up with her somehow!!

I'd pay it or they will only find you

Jo
Old May 27th 2003, 7:43 am
Just Joined

I was watching a UK program called Baliffs ther other day. And one guy (actually one of the UK baliffs) got chased down for a parking ticket from Oz!!!!

SO if the baliffs get on to you - you've had it! *LOL*
Old May 29th 2003, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Tulip03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses.

It sounds like his bad credit will not follow him to Australia, but he will have NO credit once he is there.

In this case it will probably work in his favor.
Old May 29th 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

my friend left the uk with some 'outstanding' and they tracked him down to the gold coast and made him cough up!!

cheers

richard
Old May 29th 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by copykat

here here, i agree, who the hell is this person to condem people who were just asking a civil question, and to add fuel to the fire, i intend to leave my student loan here when i migrate to oz, so there!!! (i'm 38 and paid taxes all my working life and worked whilst doing a three year degree)

ellen
Old May 29th 2003, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ellen1
here here, i agree, who the hell is this person to condem people who were just asking a civil question, and to add fuel to the fire, i intend to leave my student loan here when i migrate to oz, so there!!! (i'm 38 and paid taxes all my working life and worked whilst doing a three year degree)

ellen
*LOL*

Excellent!!! That told them.
But prepare to get loads of abuse from the do-gooders, for even contemplating leaving your loan!!
Old May 29th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose the only thing to think about is that you might ( and you never know) decide to come back to the UK to live again at sometime...............
Old May 29th 2003, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh i do expect some neg feedback. it must be so nice to be so moraly adjusted!
some of the other threads are suggesting us migraants are going to find it difficult to get work, most of us accept we are going to have to take lower wages and most of our quals aren't "good enough" in oz, for example i have just finished a 3 year degree in uk as a social worker and found out i will have to do another 1 or 2 years in oz coz it's not good enough! well i don't really care, i will be as determined in oz as i have been here, so wath out oz, here i come!! (without student loan, catch me if you can )

ellen
Old May 29th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

scarlett may have point worth thinking about.

my view for what is worth is good luck to you, who is anybody to sit in judgement on these things. Seemed like a fair question to me.

You never know if the housing market were to collapse you mind some of the critics slightly less noisy.

I must be careful not to tempt fate!!
Old May 29th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

what is the relevence of the housing market to theft??

cheers

richard
Old May 29th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

What you have to think about is that companys sell debts, so if they know or find out that you have "done one" to Oz they only have to sell the debt to an Ozzie company.

Not sure how it all works but the buggers always catch you in the end, and sods law says they catch you at the worst possible time.

If it was easy to get away with debt everyone would be doing loans and getting to limit on CCs. Now theres a thought.

Not knowing your situation or anything about you, would it not be possible to contact your loan company and give them a sob story get the interest stopped and pay a nominal amount for a long time. !!

Years ago I had interest stopped on a loan and paid a tenner a month for years until I was in position to pay it off. They would rather get "somthing" than nothing.

Also, if your loan company sells your debt, the fees and charges will sky rocket to somthing stupid (baliffs program showed this).

If you can get away with it good luck, not saying I condone it as we all end up paying for other peoples bad debts like Richard pointed out it, the reality is its theft.

A point I just thought of, I got overpaid social security when I was about 18 (I didnt know I had been) Anyway I signed on six months ago and they sent me a letter asking for the £112 over payment that I received 21 years ago. and took it out of my giro.

Seems they sent letters to previous address and with me signing on they got my new address. Goes to show.

Last edited by karawara88; May 29th 2003 at 4:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.