Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleaner and Babysitting - Perth

Cleaner and Babysitting - Perth

Old May 7th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Question Cleaner and Babysitting - Perth

Hi

I am a mum of 4 small children BUT I am a terrible housewife and will need lots of help with cleaning.

What is the going rate for a cleaner in Perth? Probably would need someone in for 3 mornings a week - do I just advertise in the nearest newsagents? I have googled but can only find agencies that charge per house and not per hour also I would prefer the same person every day.

Also what is the rate for babysitters? How did those who have just arrived find one?

Thanks

Galba
Old May 7th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaner and Babysitting - Perth

No idea about Perth, but here in Sydney our local (free) newspaper is the place to look - it has loads of ads for casual cleaners wanting work. Also has babysitting ads too.

Personally, I wouldn't employ a babysitter that I got from an ad in the paper. I'd ask around at your local childcare centre or pre-school for recommendations. Quite often the staff do babysitting at night for extra cash - at least you know that they're trustworthy and experienced with small children.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:05 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

Hi,

We have a cleaner through Absolute Domestics, costs $60 odd for two and a half hours per week. It's the same person each week but if she is sick or something the agency have to send someone else to cover.

Not particularly cheap but I really struggled to find someone. A lot of the agencies didn't have people available in our area or wanted to charge even more.

Can't help re babysitters sorry.
Old May 7th 2007, 3:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
Hi

I am a mum of 4 small children BUT I am a terrible housewife and will need lots of help with cleaning.

What is the going rate for a cleaner in Perth? Probably would need someone in for 3 mornings a week - do I just advertise in the nearest newsagents? I have googled but can only find agencies that charge per house and not per hour also I would prefer the same person every day.

Also what is the rate for babysitters? How did those who have just arrived find one?

Thanks

Galba
My friend charges $15 to $20 for cleaning.

www.motherhen.com.au is an agency I have used when I have been stuck. All their people are checked and have the appropriate working with children checks. Cost $52 for the first 3 hours and $12 per hour afterwards.
Old May 7th 2007, 3:52 am
Just Joined

clareh will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks

Galba
Hi, Where in Perth are you moving to?I am now someone who could help you out
Thanks
Old May 7th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
My friend charges $15 to $20 for cleaning.

www.motherhen.com.au is an agency I have used when I have been stuck. All their people are checked and have the appropriate working with children checks. Cost $52 for the first 3 hours and $12 per hour afterwards.
Thanks for the info everyone - NorthernBird which part of the MotherHen service did you use?

Galba
Old May 7th 2007, 3:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info everyone - NorthernBird which part of the MotherHen service did you use?

Galba
evening babysitting. They were very good, the lady was in her 50's, was great with the kids and obviously had her own transport. I would thoroughly recommend.
Old May 7th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
evening babysitting. They were very good, the lady was in her 50's, was great with the kids and obviously had her own transport. I would thoroughly recommend.
Excellent - I didn't want to appear ageist and ask what age the carers were but I would prefer someone 'mature'.

Galba
Old May 7th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Hi

Check out http://perth.gumtree.com.au/

You can advertise free on here, there are also lots of people offering their services for this type of work.

Hope this helps
Old May 7th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyaldy
Hi
I am a mum of 2 children and also a nanny and evening babysitter with over 15 yrs experience, to give you an idea of prices you can expect to pay anything from $15 per hour, i do babysitting for some families and cleaning for others both at the same rate, you can check out www.findababysitter.com.au this has babysitters in all area's plus if parents use this service you leave a rating so you will know that the sitter is good, or brisbane exchange or brisbane gumtree, you will find nannies and cleaners on here, I would love to help you out but i live in the Brisbane area so its a bit far to travel, but good luck with you search.
Thanks Andyaldy!

What a brilliant website! Did you get the cleaning through the site?

Galba
Old May 7th 2007, 10:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I told my husband that if I go back to work full time when I move over to Perth that he has to pay for a cleaner so we're not spending all weekend taking care of the house. $15-20 per hour sounds like a fair deal to me if I don't have to do things like vacuum or wash the floors or scrub the toilets.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:14 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I told my husband that if I go back to work full time when I move over to Perth that he has to pay for a cleaner so we're not spending all weekend taking care of the house. $15-20 per hour sounds like a fair deal to me if I don't have to do things like vacuum or wash the floors or scrub the toilets.
Sounds bloody good to me to - but, as I only work 2 nights a week, I can't justify it to the O/H
I don't mind house work - it's the kids messing up something I've just done that gets my goat
Old May 7th 2007, 1:19 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Sounds bloody good to me to - but, as I only work 2 nights a week, I can't justify it to the O/H
I don't mind house work - it's the kids messing up something I've just done that gets my goat
Ironing's my thing - if I ever find the time to get a job I would def get someone to do my ironing

Sam
Old May 7th 2007, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Ironing's my thing - if I ever find the time to get a job I would def get someone to do my ironing

Sam
I'll do your ironing if you do the rest of my place.