Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

quick route!!bit of a wierd one.........

quick route!!bit of a wierd one.........

Old May 7th 2007, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

gemz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quick route!!bit of a wierd one.........

Hi just wondering if there is anyway you ca go out, look for a job etc then apply for a permenant visa. If you have kids??? Have been to Oz quite a few times and loved it, but seeing all the ppl who have gone out and now wanting to come home, made me think that mayb it would be best to live out there for say 6 months or a year b4 going through the complications of PR???Any ideas?
Thanks
Old May 7th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: quick route!!bit of a wierd one.........

I'm not an expert, but not really, unless you are on a holiday visa. So you wouldn't be able to work. From what I've heard, unless you have a visa for work, then employers aren't really interested. You can't get a working holiday visa if you have kids. Maybe try sending your visa to a few people over there - employment agencies and such like, and see what they say about your prospects.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No, if you have children then you cannot get a WHV. You could try taking a few months vacation, but then this is not the same as actually living and working here. You can look at sending your resume to recruiters, but again without the correct visa not many will be looking to sponsor you unless you have a skill that is very difficult to find here.
You can't really look at the posts of the people who return home as an indicator of what it's like here. There are many more people who settle into life and don't post anymore. Of course for some they will never settle and go back, but I personally believe they are the minority. As with all things in life Australia is not for everyone. And like the saying goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Don't worry about your kids. If it doesn't work out for you and you do go back, think of the wonderful adventure they will have had. My children have been in Australia 9 months and have stated emphatically they would never want to go back where we moved from.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My children have been in Australia 9 months and have stated emphatically they would never want to go back where we moved from.
Same here with mine.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemz
Hi just wondering if there is anyway you ca go out, look for a job etc then apply for a permenant visa. If you have kids??? Have been to Oz quite a few times and loved it, but seeing all the ppl who have gone out and now wanting to come home, made me think that mayb it would be best to live out there for say 6 months or a year b4 going through the complications of PR???Any ideas?
Thanks
No WHV if you have kids, in additon is hard to get a job without PR. So isn't made easy but isn't impossible!
Old May 7th 2007, 11:18 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, if only there was a try before you buy option with Australia.

Sometimes you have to take a little risk

Big.