Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clean air in Perth Humbug

Clean air in Perth Humbug

Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can thank the greenies for governments wanting to replace fossil fuels with ethanol.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:50 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kaleb777
You can thank the greenies for governments wanting to replace fossil fuels with ethanol.
No Tory voting Farmers who cannot give sugar away right now , looking for more hand outs.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Too bad they didn't vote Labor so they would be run off their farm by Aboriginal land claims huh?
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:08 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad they didn't vote Labor so they would be run off their farm by Aboriginal land claims huh?
Pollies here serve pollies who cares , just use the unwanted suger cane for making Rum you know it makes sense.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Isn't pommie booze just ethanol mixed with marmite?
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need to stop listening at the greenie fantasies and try to think logically. Do you have any concept of how many windmills it would take to provide energy for Perth? Even in Denmark wind is a small token contribution to shut the green nuts up.
What do you know about Denmark? Windmills are not a "small token" to shut up the green nuts, but a very important albeit small contributor to producing clean energy. Apart from that it's a hugely succesful export business providing lots of jobs.

I don't quite get this thing you have about "green nuts" - what's so wrong with people wanting cleaner breathable air? Why should I have to put up with asthma, cancer and various other lung diseases because everybody and his sister must drive their own car, have their own wood fire
- which produces masses of quite toxic smoke and basically behave as if there is no tomorrow?

I know that no alternative energy source can cover our energy demands, but what's wrong with investing in cleaner, alternative sources? What's wrong with investing in researching and developing these sources so they can contribute to a much larger extent to producing energy than they are at the moment. I find it mindboggling that so few houses in a country like Australia have solar panels. It's the place on the planet to utilize this source, but nope. Don't really see it anywhere. Even in Greece on the small island of Chios basically every single house had their hot water heated by solar power.

And no, before you write me off: I don't conside myself a green nut, but a normal person concerned about her environment and her health. If that makes me a green nut, well then yeah, I guess I am one.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sashimi
What do you know about Denmark? Windmills are not a "small token" to shut up the green nuts, but a very important albeit small contributor to producing clean energy. Apart from that it's a hugely succesful export business providing lots of jobs.

I don't quite get this thing you have about "green nuts" - what's so wrong with people wanting cleaner breathable air? Why should I have to put up with asthma, cancer and various other lung diseases because everybody and his sister must drive their own car, have their own wood fire
- which produces masses of quite toxic smoke and basically behave as if there is no tomorrow?

I know that no alternative energy source can cover our energy demands, but what's wrong with investing in cleaner, alternative sources? What's wrong with investing in researching and developing these sources so they can contribute to a much larger extent to producing energy than they are at the moment. I find it mindboggling that so few houses in a country like Australia have solar panels. It's the place on the planet to utilize this source, but nope. Don't really see it anywhere. Even in Greece on the small island of Chios basically every single house had their hot water heated by solar power.

And no, before you write me off: I don't conside myself a green nut, but a normal person concerned about her environment and her health. If that makes me a green nut, well then yeah, I guess I am one.
You only confirmed what I said with your argument. I said the windmills are a small token supply and you agreed saying it is a small contributor! Maybe windmills are a good export earner. So what? That doesn't mean they are a viable option everywhere, only that the greenies have scared people enough into investing in ridiculous projects like wind power. Cocaine is a nice earner too but that doesn't make it right. It would take thousands upon thousands of windmills to supply the energy demands of a mid-sized city, and the supply is not guaranteed. The maintenance and upkeep would be incredible. Are you aware that the production of windmills involves mining and smelting and huge amounts of energy? The whole wind power fantasy is just that - a fantasy. It's like people who get catalytic converters in their cars to reduce pollution, but they aren't aware that more pollution is created in the manufacture of a catalytic converter than it will ever remove from the exhaust of a vehicle. It's something that makes greenies feel good but truly achieves nothing.

The reson so few houses in Australia have solar panels is because of the expense. Don't you think if it were cheap people would do it? You also forget that solar panels aren't eternal. They need regular replacements and so do the batteries. The expense places them out of reach for most people. Many houses have solar hot water but than isn't the same as photovoltaics - there are no "panels" as such and they don't wear out as fast.

There is nothing wrong with investing in alternatives but there isn't much point arguing about it when wind power is hopeless and solar electricity is so expensive. I don't disagree that clean air is better (for animals) but I do object to people sitting in front of an electric heater run from a coal power station spewing acidic smoke in another suburb complaining about people running far more efficient wood heaters that burn renewable energy. The hypocrisy is incredible.

I also object to green groups trying to force change by lying to the public. They spew garbage like "humans are causing global warming" yet any climatologist will tell you there is absolutely no way of knowing this and no way to prove it. What, did the ice ages happen because humans weren't driving cars and creating greenhouse gases? Of course there is global warming - the planet's climate has been changing for millions of years before we came along - but suddenly today the green NUTS want us to believe that all natural cycles have nothing to do with it and it is entirely the fault of humans! The fact that the planet is coming out of a small cool period (where the Thames froze over for a few winters) means nothing to the Green NUTS. In the 70s they were warning we were entering an ice age! How can anyone take their words to be anything but lies? Nothing they have warned about has ever happened.

I am all for using resources wisely and reducing harmful pollution but you have to remember that we are physical beings and need energy to live comfortably. If one person is able to come across free wood so they install a wood heater, where do people like you get off telling them they can't have it? You sitting there in front of your computer are burning something somewhere to power it. What if a bunch of wankers got together and switched off your heat because you were drawing power produced by burning coal which they object to? Maybe you could pay the power bill of a person with a wood heater if they promise to stop burning wood for heat. That's the problem with green nuts - they are hypocrites. They want everyone else to stop burning fuel and using resources when the whole time they are doing the same.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:17 pm
Banned

Isn't pommie booze just ethanol mixed with marmite?
Lets educate you on this ethanol bull , Brazil and other minor countries have gone this way because they sell oil and use this as a method to support their farmers, very third world just like Australia.
Cars new and old in Australia cannot run on more that 10% ethanol without problems with the engines and hoses .
All the Car Industry here has said that they will support the move by little Johnnys goverment who are playing games inorder to win National party votes in QLD.
Think Hydrogen powered cars the rest of the world will have these engines on line within 10 years ,GM already has a engine ready to go into production and Jap companies are following .

Get clued up and produce more and cheaper RUM its a better idea.

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Lets educate you on this ethanol bull , Brazil and other minor countries have gone this way because they sell oil and use this as a method to support their farmers, very third world just like Australia.
Cars new and old in Australia cannot run on more that 10% ethanol without problems with the engines and hoses .
All the Car Industry here has said that they will support the move by little Johnnys goverment who are playing games inorder to win National party votes in QLD.
Think Hydrogen powered cars the rest of the world will have these engines on line within 10 years ,GM already has a engine ready to go into production and Jap companies are following .

Get clued up and produce more and cheaper RUM its a better idea.

Just to add to your enormous knowledge on ethanol, the loony left will be more pleased with a move towards ethanol fuels since the greens consider ethanol a renewable. The hydrogen car is a nice dream. Maybe in 50 years the technology might be up to scratch. If it was they would be doing it now. BTW, using certain fuels doesn't make a place backward if the fuels being used are so much cheaper than the alternatives. Using fuels that are more expensive or that require people to overhaul their cars or in the case of hydrogen - buy a whole new car - will not be taken up by the public without legislation to force people into changing. Australia, being a much more free country than Britain, will not force people to adopt something that is going to cost them. The BRits seem to let their government dictate their lives.

I remember seeing a story about the British government fining a man who was using biodiesel that you can make yourself from old cooking oil. What kind of retarded government fines people with the nouse to make their own fuel and use it? Not in Australia.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:32 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I remember seeing a story about the British government fining a man who was using biodiesel that you can make yourself from old cooking oil. What kind of retarded government fines people with the nouse to make their own fuel and use it? Not in Australia.
Yes i remember that.

What was the reason given for the fine? Was the fuel high polluting or somthing?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PeteY
Yes i remember that.

What was the reason given for the fine? Was the fuel high polluting or somthing?
No, biodiesel is actually cleaner than regular diesel, is less hard on engines, and has a curious side effect of the exhaust smelling like fish and chips. The reason the man (from Wales) was fined was that in Britian his use of biodiesel was considered tax evasion!

Here there were several shows on TV that told people how to convert used cooking oil to fuel for diesel vehicles. As far as I know there is no rule here that states what fuel to use in your vehicle except a regulation to deter people from usuing lead replacement petrol (formerly leaded) in unleaded vehicles but since unleaded is up to 5c cheaper than LRP, you would have to be a pommie bastard to do that
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:32 pm
Banned

The hydrogen car is a nice dream. Maybe in 50 years the technology might be up to scratch. If it was they would be doing it now. .
I work in Australia's top Auto-motive reseach company and you know sod all , the hydrogen engine is out there and will be on the market within 10 years its only the oil companies that are holding it back.
GM has an engine ready to go and Hybreds are already on the market
Australia is a small market that is behind the rest of the world , try the Kyoto agreement , little Johnny could not sign because he could not meet the requirements the UK can and did sign.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 23rd 2003 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 2:21 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I work in Australia's top Auto-motive reseach company and you know sod all , the hydrogen engine is out there and will be on the market within 10 years its only the oil companies that are holding it back.
GM has an engine ready to go and Hybreds are already on the market
Australia is a small market that is behind the rest of the world , try the Kyoto agreement , little Johnny could not sign because he could not meet the requirements the UK can and did sign.

The in car advantage of hydrogen over LPG is negligible. Hydrogen has many disadvantages as a fuel at present and the forseable future. Its low density and need for extreme pressures and / or low temperatures, molecular leakage through containers etc. The only near viable source is natural gas (methane) reformation which wastes much of the energy of the methane and results in more carbon dioxide than simply using methane directly. Electrolytic hydrogen production is highly ineffiecient and wastes high grade electrical energy. Post something useful.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 2:52 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
The in car advantage of hydrogen over LPG is negligible. Hydrogen has many disadvantages as a fuel at present and the forseable future. Its low density and need for extreme pressures and / or low temperatures, molecular leakage through containers etc. The only near viable source is natural gas (methane) reformation which wastes much of the energy of the methane and results in more carbon dioxide than simply using methane directly. Electrolytic hydrogen production is highly ineffiecient and wastes high grade electrical energy. Post something useful.
Your summing up is either gleened off off the miss informed or the oil companies , I shall tell GM and Nissan, Honda amoung others to contact you as they are throwing away cash but pray do not tell my employers who are making a fast buck out of this bull.

Toyota have a first stage Hybrid on the Market now that is run along the line of your information but they will move on.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/prius/

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 23rd 2003 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:12 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Your summing up is either gleened off off the miss informed or the oil companies , I shall tell GM and Nissan, Honda amoung others to contact you as they are throwing away cash but pray do not tell my employers who are making a fast buck out of this bull.

Toyota have a first stage Hybrid on the Market now that is run along the line of your information but they will move on.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/prius/

Point to a supply of hydrogen which is energetically cheaper than LPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.