Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clarkson High School, Perth

Clarkson High School, Perth

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:30 pm
  #1  
Loving Perth!
Thread Starter
 
TheHallidays's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mindarie, Perth, WA
Posts: 99
TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Default Clarkson High School, Perth

Hi,

Just looking at schools and I can't work this one out!

According to DET website there are 215 kids in Year 8 at Clarkson High School.

Given that Clarkson is the only state high school serving Brighton, Butler, Clarkson, Mindarie, Merriwa & Quinns (presumably Jindalee too). There are currently a total of 6 state primary schools in these suburbs - surely all the kids in a given year from all those primary schools won't fit? Especially with all the building going on?! Or am I being thick?

Do the DET just expect that X% of parents will pay for private schooling or are there plans for other high schools?

Does anyone have any views on what Clarkson High School is like?

Thanks!
TheHallidays is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:06 pm
  #2  
Loving Perth!
Thread Starter
 
TheHallidays's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mindarie, Perth, WA
Posts: 99
TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

So nobody knows then?! (Or maybe no-one else is bothered)

OK I'll go away quietly and worry about it in the corner then....
TheHallidays is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:10 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
sj oldfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Lower Chittering, Perth
Posts: 4,646
sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TheHallidays View Post
So nobody knows then?! (Or maybe no-one else is bothered)

OK I'll go away quietly and worry about it in the corner then....
Been some mixed reports about the school...........I wouldnt put my kids there, but thats my opinion!!!
Some one will be along to give you their views, just sit tight!!
sj oldfield is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:15 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,199
Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TheHallidays View Post
So nobody knows then?! (Or maybe no-one else is bothered)

OK I'll go away quietly and worry about it in the corner then....
I would probably ring the school up and confirm this.

Also the school does have a bad reputation, but i think it is on the UP now and i have heard better things about it recently.
Nomore is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:26 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
sj oldfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Lower Chittering, Perth
Posts: 4,646
sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by paulrachel View Post
I would probably ring the school up and confirm this.

Also the school does have a bad reputation, but i think it is on the UP now and i have heard better things about it recently.
Dont think it can do anything but be on the 'up'............couldnt get any worse!
sj oldfield is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:54 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TheHallidays View Post
Hi,

Just looking at schools and I can't work this one out!

According to DET website there are 215 kids in Year 8 at Clarkson High School.

Given that Clarkson is the only state high school serving Brighton, Butler, Clarkson, Mindarie, Merriwa & Quinns (presumably Jindalee too). There are currently a total of 6 state primary schools in these suburbs - surely all the kids in a given year from all those primary schools won't fit? Especially with all the building going on?! Or am I being thick?

Do the DET just expect that X% of parents will pay for private schooling or are there plans for other high schools?

Does anyone have any views on what Clarkson High School is like?

Thanks!
A bit like Carramar and Tapping situation really. Thousands of new houses and two new primary schools with over 1200 kids. Ermmmm....minor detail though DET...no high school in the pipeline. According to the council there are no proposed plans either.
So, if your council up there is Wanneroo council, then yes, you will be expected to send your kids to private school if you want them decently educated. If you can't afford that, and many parents can't, your choice is Clarkson...our choice is Wanneroo. On about the same bottom rung the pair of them!
TraceyW is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:12 pm
  #7  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TraceyW View Post
A bit like Carramar and Tapping situation really. Thousands of new houses and two new primary schools with over 1200 kids. Ermmmm....minor detail though DET...no high school in the pipeline. According to the council there are no proposed plans either.
So, if your council up there is Wanneroo council, then yes, you will be expected to send your kids to private school if you want them decently educated. If you can't afford that, and many parents can't, your choice is Clarkson...our choice is Wanneroo. On about the same bottom rung the pair of them!
We nearly bought in Tapping and this was the deciding factor although we didn't realise that where we bought isn't in the catchment we thought it was and have now had to register my girls at private school.
northernbird is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:24 pm
  #8  
Loving Perth!
Thread Starter
 
TheHallidays's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mindarie, Perth, WA
Posts: 99
TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
We nearly bought in Tapping and this was the deciding factor although we didn't realise that where we bought isn't in the catchment we thought it was and have now had to register my girls at private school.
Thanks for the responses guys - think we will start looking at private round here and get some money set aside! Like the area and the primary school, just need to make sure we're OK longer term.....

Got a few years yet before need to worry about high school really, but there you go I'm a worrier!

Jane x
TheHallidays is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:27 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 3,453
NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TheHallidays View Post
Hi,

Just looking at schools and I can't work this one out!

According to DET website there are 215 kids in Year 8 at Clarkson High School.

Given that Clarkson is the only state high school serving Brighton, Butler, Clarkson, Mindarie, Merriwa & Quinns (presumably Jindalee too). There are currently a total of 6 state primary schools in these suburbs - surely all the kids in a given year from all those primary schools won't fit? Especially with all the building going on?! Or am I being thick?

Do the DET just expect that X% of parents will pay for private schooling or are there plans for other high schools?

Does anyone have any views on what Clarkson High School is like?

Thanks!
Your maths might be OK.

6 state primary schools - and all may have 1 or possibly 2 classes in each year.

Class size = 25 kids.

6 x 25 = 150 kids.

215 kids allows for 215 / 25 = 8 Year 7 classes feeding in.

If there were 2 classes per Year 7 then this would mean 300 kids (as opposed to 215). 85 kids could conceivably be sent to other schools especially if the senior school as a poor reputation.

Most concerned parents will be looking at Clarkson (a school which I have no knowledge about so can't pesonally recommend or not) and if it is poor, will be either moving areas , paying for private, or pleading with more reputable schools such as Duncraig and Carine further south to allow their kids in.
NKSK version 2 is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:29 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 3,453
NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Originally Posted by TheHallidays View Post
think we will start looking at private round here and get some money set aside! Jane x
This is the least of your problems.

Actually getting your kids into good, value for money private schools is the biggest challenge.

My advice would be to get them on the waiting lists asap. Pay the $!00 application fee and the start saving!
NKSK version 2 is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:45 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria to Tapping, Perth
Posts: 650
Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarkson High School, Perth

Have sent you a PM
Xgeminix is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.