Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grant for sending kids to Private schools?

Grant for sending kids to Private schools?

Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grant for sending kids to Private schools?

Is this true? Can you get a grant to help send kids to private school?

Mandy
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grant for sending kids to Private schools?

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Is this true? Can you get a grant to help send kids to private school?

Mandy
Yes ive looked onto this and its v similar for both countries. To get a grant for private school in both country child needs to be 11yrs old in most cases.
then child will be considered if what the private schools USP matches what child has to offer.
for eg, my son - v gifted at maths. Perth and Uk both suggested private schools that pride themselves on maths dept. But both said must be 11 for grant app.
Catholic Oz schools are all private but fee is very minimal, no where near anything youd pay in UK, and have a good reputation on the whole.
the oz private schools suggested i get him in a year before eligable to apply for grant as they would be more likely to want to keep him if he was known to them and doing well.
c
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Catholic Oz schools are all private but fee is very minimal, no where near anything youd pay in UK, and have a good reputation on the whole.
Although it's not clear why non Roman-Catholic parents would wish their children to have a Roman Catholic denominational education.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

There are a couple of Anglican schools that I have my eye on. He is nearly 13 and is at that age where when you mention work he pretends not to hear I'm hoping that by getting him into a good school it will get him motivated abit.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

I can answer that one I as an Aussie parent who has used the Catholic School system whilst not being a Catholic. Its like a private school and a notch up from the public system. In some areas the public schools are not up to par so some parents decide they would rather send their kids to a Catholic school for better discipline and schooling. This is very popular in Tassie. Its affordable to send your child to a Catholic school and usually not so affordable to send them to a Private school. So a Catholic school is good middle ground option.

Its not hard to get your child into a Catholic school in Tassie but here in NSW I get the feeling it is much harder as there are waiting lists for Catholic schools and Catholic families get priority,(and rightly so of course). Hope that explains why some Aussies choose a Catholic education for their child when they are not Catholic themselves.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
I can answer that one I as an Aussie parent who has used the Catholic School system whilst not being a Catholic. Its like a private school and a notch up from the public system. In some areas the public schools are not up to par so some parents decide they would rather send their kids to a Catholic school for better discipline and schooling. This is very popular in Tassie. Its affordable to send your child to a Catholic school and usually not so affordable to send them to a Private school. So a Catholic school is good middle ground option.

Its not hard to get your child into a Catholic school in Tassie but here in NSW I get the feeling it is much harder as there are waiting lists for Catholic schools and Catholic families get priority,(and rightly so of course). Hope that explains why some Aussies choose a Catholic education for their child when they are not Catholic themselves.
Agreed. I sent my kids to Catholic schools in both Oz and UK for those reasons as it applies in both countries.

Qoute from JAJ "Although it's not clear why non Roman-Catholic parents would wish their children to have a Roman Catholic denominational education."

As both Catholics and C of E have the same God, I prefer to think in terms of us all being Christain and not so specific. To me its the ethos/philosphy they teach well ie being kind to one another/honesty/anti-bullying that attracts me and has the kind of values i want my kids to have regardless of what specific faith they decide to follow, if any, in the future.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Qoute from JAJ "Although it's not clear why non Roman-Catholic parents would wish their children to have a Roman Catholic denominational education."

As both Catholics and C of E have the same God, I prefer to think in terms of us all being Christain and not so specific.
We all have the same God. And if you believe the Bible is the Word of God, then you should assess any denomination on the basis of how faithfully does it adhere to what the Bible has to say. I would suggest that many Protestants have serious difficulties reconciling certain Roman Catholic doctrines to what the Bible teaches us.

Sending non-Roman Catholic children to a Roman Catholic church does bring about the risk of an inconsistency between what they learn at school compared to what they will learn at home and at church.

The disconnect is of course even greater if parents/children are atheist or agnostic etc.