Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming Back Vat

Claiming Back Vat

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice
Question Claiming Back Vat

Hi

Does anyone know if you can claim back the VAT on new purchases made in the UK within a few weeks of leaving for Oz? I've been told I can get a certificate/receipt from the retailer to present to Customs but don't know anything about it.

Cheers
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Back Vat

Originally Posted by flumper
Hi

Does anyone know if you can claim back the VAT on new purchases made in the UK within a few weeks of leaving for Oz? I've been told I can get a certificate/receipt from the retailer to present to Customs but don't know anything about it.

Cheers
Yes, you can, provided the shops participate in the VAT Refund scheme (there's usually a VAT Refund sticker on the window), and you'll be leaving the EC within 3 months, for at least a year. There's often a minimum amount per receipt at the same store - just check that with individual shops. There are at least 2 different processing companies, both of which charge a fee, so you'll need to check that to determine if it's worth the effort. One of our refunds was for GBP60 but of that GBP12 or so went to the processing company.

When we claimed back the VAT we were using my Hong Kong passport. I would imagine you may run into some difficulties with certain shops when you are holding a UK passport trying to explain to them that you're emigrating from the UK/EC to Australia. Yes you need to bring your passport with you to the shops so that they can put down your passport number on the form.

The Customs and Exercise site is not clear on whether you have to fulfill one or all of the requirements,

Do I qualify for the refund scheme?
You will qualify if you are:
*an overseas visitor
*your place of residence is not in the EC
*you intend to leave the UK for somewhere outside the EC with the goods by the last day of the third month following the month when you purchased the goods and
*you produce receipts and the VAT refund form to Customs at your point of departure from the EC

But it does say:
You may also qualify if you live within the EC but intend to leave the EC for at least 12 months.

Here's the link:
Reclaiming VAT if you live abroad

There is a document you can download too - it's too large to me to attach here but you can get it from the site:
VAT Refund from EC

Happy shopping.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:41 pm
blossom

Just a thought - if you claim the VAT back from UK, will you be required to pay customs/import duties in Australia?

Blossom

Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
Just a thought - if you claim the VAT back from UK, will you be required to pay customs/import duties in Australia?

Blossom
I thought the same. I read somewhere (here probably ) that anything bought within 12 months of emigration was due for duty charges in Australia. (Whether you get picked up on this is another matter)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought the same. I read somewhere (here probably ) that anything bought within 12 months of emigration was due for duty charges in Australia. (Whether you get picked up on this is another matter)

I just thought I would mention that when we did this process in reverse in the summer coming from Oz back to the UK you had to have the item and receipt with you....... Think on if you intend to buy a new sofa!!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes, you can, provided the shops participate in the VAT Refund scheme (there's usually a VAT Refund sticker on the window), and you'll be leaving the EC within 3 months, for at least a year. There's often a minimum amount per receipt at the same store - just check that with individual shops. There are at least 2 different processing companies, both of which charge a fee, so you'll need to check that to determine if it's worth the effort. One of our refunds was for GBP60 but of that GBP12 or so went to the processing company.

When we claimed back the VAT we were using my Hong Kong passport. I would imagine you may run into some difficulties with certain shops when you are holding a UK passport trying to explain to them that you're emigrating from the UK/EC to Australia. Yes you need to bring your passport with you to the shops so that they can put down your passport number on the form.

The Customs and Exercise site is not clear on whether you have to fulfill one or all of the requirements,

Do I qualify for the refund scheme?
You will qualify if you are:
*an overseas visitor
*your place of residence is not in the EC
*you intend to leave the UK for somewhere outside the EC with the goods by the last day of the third month following the month when you purchased the goods and
*you produce receipts and the VAT refund form to Customs at your point of departure from the EC

But it does say:
You may also qualify if you live within the EC but intend to leave the EC for at least 12 months.

Here's the link:
Reclaiming VAT if you live abroad

There is a document you can download too - it's too large to me to attach here but you can get it from the site:
VAT Refund from EC

Happy shopping.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Thanks, karma on it's way!

Thankfully not having to carry a sofa only a Laptop!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:33 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I normally claim the VAT back when I go on holiday in the UK and I use a UK passport.

You can also claim back GST on items in your hand luggage that you have bought recently. Just show customs the invoice. Details are on the customs website. I bought about $500 worth of goods and claimed the GST using that method. There are exceptions on what you can claim.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flumper
Thanks, karma on it's way!

Thankfully not having to carry a sofa only a Laptop!
Thanks for the karma!

Just noticed your location. Lots of shops on Buchanan and Sauchiehall Streets participate in the VAT refund scheme. Not sure about laptops though. I don't remember seeing VAT Refund stickers on the windows of electronic shops but then I never bought any electronics in Glasgow and wasn't looking for them. The department stores might be your best bet if you were looking at VAT refund for miscellanous electronics.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL