Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claim from tax man on flight back home

Claim from tax man on flight back home

Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of
Default Claim from tax man on flight back home

Was at Immigration Expo in Belfast on Sunday it was pretty useless with very little information that we didn't already know.

However, was talking to one girl at the 'Come to Victoria' stand and she told us that if you have a rental property in the UK, you can claim your flights back home off the tax man, cos you have to go and check on the conditon of your property etc etc. She said you are entitled to do this once a year.

Sounds plausable to me, but has anyone actually done this?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Claim from tax man on flight back home

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Was at Immigration Expo in Belfast on Sunday it was pretty useless with very little information that we didn't already know.

However, was talking to one girl at the 'Come to Victoria' stand and she told us that if you have a rental property in the UK, you can claim your flights back home off the tax man, cos you have to go and check on the conditon of your property etc etc. She said you are entitled to do this once a year.

Would be interested in any replies as we are renting our house out for the first few years.

Debbie
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:38 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd heard from somewhere that the tax man has got wise to this and that international flights could no longer be claimed if you had an agent managing the property for you - people were using it for cheap holidays. Probably best to check with the tax office if you don't get a reply on here.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes know someone who tried it, but they had failed to claim the income on the UK property on their aussie tax return so the rebate was slightly less than they expected
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:00 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about flights to the uK, but I owned a rental here in Australia and I could claim travel once a year to inspect the property.....I presume if the rental income in the UK is declared as income in Australia (and you pay tax on it) then you could claim a trip to visit the property just the same.....talk to an accountant man
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I do it - although not once a year - every other. Perfectly legit!

HTH