Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

less freight arrived in Oz than left UK????

less freight arrived in Oz than left UK????

Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

soontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nice
Default less freight arrived in Oz than left UK????

Hi, I was reading in a different thread that someone had not got all that they had shipped out to Oz. Is this a common problem, or just unkucky for them?

We are planning to ship our personal bits and bobs with us when we move to Brisbane at the end of April. We will have a hefty CD collection, and football memorabilia also. I'm worried incase any of it goes awol. Also considering buying a large plasma screen before we go, but not sure in case that went walkabout also!

Any advice would be welcome, Cheers.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: less freight arrived in Oz than left UK????

Originally Posted by soontobeexpat
Hi, I was reading in a different thread that someone had not got all that they had shipped out to Oz. Is this a common problem, or just unkucky for them?

We are planning to ship our personal bits and bobs with us when we move to Brisbane at the end of April. We will have a hefty CD collection, and football memorabilia also. I'm worried incase any of it goes awol. Also considering buying a large plasma screen before we go, but not sure in case that went walkabout also!

We are selling everything before we go, so when we get there we can start a fresh.

Do you not think it would be best to wait till you get to Oz and a buy a TV when you get there as the plugs will be different ?

Donna.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:26 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

as far as i know they are cheaper in Australia as well our friends got a huge one for a great price cant remember how much now ill have to ask the hubby
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:29 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the sake of comparison, I am shopping for a new plasma at the moment

I saw good brand, HD plasmas (LG and Panasonic) for less thatn $1300 for a 42 inch screen

you can get cheaper brands (like Soniq) for about $800 for 42 inch...

They are gettign cheaper all the time....

My sistee bought a 42 inch Panasonic 18 months ago for $1999

My parents bought the same (simlilar model) one 4 months ago for $1400

You can get the same one now for $1250........

In a few months time they will be giving them away with McDonalds happy meals!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Just for the sake of comparison, I am shopping for a new plasma at the moment

I saw good brand, HD plasmas (LG and Panasonic) for less thatn $1300 for a 42 inch screen

you can get cheaper brands (like Soniq) for about $800 for 42 inch...

They are gettign cheaper all the time....

My sistee bought a 42 inch Panasonic 18 months ago for $1999

My parents bought the same (simlilar model) one 4 months ago for $1400

You can get the same one now for $1250........

In a few months time they will be giving them away with McDonalds happy meals!
I had a laptop and all the other contents in the same crate stolen by Wridgways. Seems to happen all too often from some of the other posts. Make sure you overinsure and you will be OK.

You are right about the deflation in electronics prices but it still hurts when your own stuff gets stolen.

Last edited by bjddavies; Mar 10th 2008 at 10:19 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

soontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nicesoontobeexpat is just really nice

Thanks for the advice so far.

We are planning to use pickfords for the move. Anyone had any major problems with them? Also, any major problems with making insurance claims when things go missing?:
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice so far.

We are planning to use pickfords for the move. Anyone had any major problems with them? Also, any major problems with making insurance claims when things go missing?:
arent pickfords going under, last I heard they were having trouble paying staff, we used PSS and all our stuff was there and nothing broken.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Friends of ours had a real hassle with Pickfords recently. They only shipped 14 boxes but they took absolutely ages to arrive, nobody could tell them at any point where there stuff was, and they were a total pain to deal with. Apparantly their stuff finally arrived in Sydney the week before Christmas but it was only delivered to them two weeks ago after they started getting stroppy. That sounded to be like someone hadn't been paid along the line which would tie in with the rumours that they are going under.

We used GB Liners (and Nuss who are their agents here delivered and unpacked) and I would highly recommend them.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rangersman2
arent pickfords going under, last I heard they were having trouble paying staff, we used PSS and all our stuff was there and nothing broken.
thanks for the recommendation. I think Pickfords might have lost out on a sale here!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rangersman2
According to pickfords - there are no worries! but they would say that wouldn't they!

Thanks for the recommendation, will give them a ring.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Friends of ours had a real hassle with Pickfords recently. They only shipped 14 boxes but they took absolutely ages to arrive, nobody could tell them at any point where there stuff was, and they were a total pain to deal with. Apparantly their stuff finally arrived in Sydney the week before Christmas but it was only delivered to them two weeks ago after they started getting stroppy. That sounded to be like someone hadn't been paid along the line which would tie in with the rumours that they are going under.

We used GB Liners (and Nuss who are their agents here delivered and unpacked) and I would highly recommend them.
cheers. we'll give them a ring.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Would like to know which shippers they went with.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Would like to know which shippers they went with.
There is this thread on Wridgways.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508881

My stuff got stolen from their Brisbane depot.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjddavies
There is this thread on Wridgways.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508881

My stuff got stolen from their Brisbane depot.
Hi we shipped with Atlantis
we arrived in November, our container arrived late February and the rest comes into port on the 13th March. We had to much stuff to fit into one container so the rest was put into groupage. I phoned Atlantis to ask where the rest of the stuff was and agent finaly remembered it was put in another container. Anyway we had a laptop stolen, this was put into our television box in a laptop bag. bag was still there but no laptop. Very minimal damage so far but we are waiting for a glass tv stand. hope it arrives in one piece. Leather sofa looks like its been dragged along the floor. Have to wait and see what else is damaged before claiming on insurence.
all in all, Atlantis have been very good apart from taking upto 2 weeks to answer an email.
Remember that when your stuff goes through quarentine you will be charged, we thought this was in with the quote but got two nasty surprises. 1. $550. for full container although only boxes with shoes, garden stuff was opened. 2.$185. for groupage container I just hope the other people's stuff is clean or we may have to pay for fumigation aswell.