Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering in Australia

Civil Engineering in Australia

Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Dunc&Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Engineering in Australia

Hi, we'll start by introducing ourselves before going any further.
We are Duncan and Samantha (Sam) living in the UK but looking to emigrate to Australia as soon as we can. There are a few bits to sort out first but nothing we can't handle.

I (Duncan) am currently training as a civil engineer in my final year of a part time degree and it is me we will be applying for with Sam coming along as the hanger on.

The reason for this post is I would like to try and arrange the possibility of work before arriving and would like to know if anyone has any contacts or recommendations for work in the civil engineering environment in Australia.

That's it for now but hopefully someone will be able to point us in the right direction.

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:53 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Civil Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by Dunc&Sam
We are Duncan and Samantha (Sam) living in the UK but looking to emigrate to Australia as soon as we can. There are a few bits to sort out first but nothing we can't handle.

I (Duncan) am currently training as a civil engineer in my final year of a part time degree and it is me we will be applying for with Sam coming along as the hanger on.

The reason for this post is I would like to try and arrange the possibility of work before arriving and would like to know if anyone has any contacts or recommendations for work in the civil engineering environment in Australia.

That's it for now but hopefully someone will be able to point us in the right direction.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, Duncan
Try http://www.abigroup.com.au/ Have a look over their site. They seem to be one of the bigger civil eng. outfits in Australia.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:04 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hi Duncan & Sam & welcome to the forum. I dont know if you will need actual work experience as a civil engineer before meeting a certain points criteria on your application??!! if i am speaking rubbish i prepare to corrected.

Regards

Mr Madsad
Old Dec 1st 2004, 4:52 pm
Banned

prerakshrestha is an unknown quantity at this point

hi! do you have any sample of career episode. please help!!!!!!!!

[email protected]
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

hi! do you have any sample of career episode. please help!!!!!!!!

Sorry , can you clarify what you mean. Does this mean you want a CV or what?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dunc/Sam,

I'm a civ/struc autocad technician, going to oz in 3 years.

I would think you will need to have at least 12 mths "on the job experience" after you get your degree before you can apply.
You say you are doing your degree part time though? is that as well as working in the civ. eng. industry? maybe that will help depending on your current qualification /experience.

As far as jobs out there go, I think it's quite hard to get one before you go but there are some big firms out there like Connel Wagner, Smith Knight Merz etc. and I believe there's quite a lot of work going at present.

try www.seek.com.au and do a search

Andy.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Andy,

I have been working for a firm of civil and structural engineers for about 7 years now and training at the same time so with any luck that should help.

I spoke to Connel Wagner recently and will be getting in touch with them again soon.

You never know we could end up working together at some stage in the future.

All the best

Duncan
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is your degree accredited by the Engineering Council? If yes, you'll be eligible for Washington or Sydney Accord assessment, if no, you'll have to do a CDR.

http://www.engc.org.uk and http://www.ieaust.org.au are the websites to become familiar with (as well as the DIMIA website).

Jeremy