Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

City working - dress code?

City working - dress code?

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default City working - dress code?

Hi, bit of a menswear question!

We're off to Melbourne in September, ready to start work from October (ever the optimist!). I recall seeing other threads where posters have said the dress code for office workers in the CBD is very smart, with men particularly feeling the need to 'out-pose' each other. Is this true?

I'm usually in a suit in the office here in the UK, but I like knowing I can ditch the jacket and tie if I don't have any meetings or if the weather is hot and uncomfortable.

Surely in Australia we can't be expected to be dressed up like shop dummies ALL of the time?

Cheers

M
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:28 pm
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: City working - dress code?

Hi that's half true the men are as bad as the women, but there are a lot of relaxed dress codes. my wife is a executive assistant with IBM and is in the minority wearing a suit, and they have casual Fridays. My wife usually worked in the banking industry corporate finance. Where even they vary immensely.
Good luck. Ps Melbournes at least 2 years behind the Uk in fashion
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that if you're office bound you will have aircon, so it doesn't really get hot and uncomfortable. That said, I don't wear a tie in my current job and only had to wear one in my previous job if going on site or meeting a client. As for wearing a suit ..... I was told in no uncertain terms to lose the jacket when I turned up for my first day of work in a suit. That was Brisbane though, the thinking may well be different in Melbourne I suppose.

Darwinites blame 'southerners' wearing ties for global warming
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Ps Melbournes at least 2 years behind the Uk in fashion
No worries, so am I!

Thanks for the reply, I'd heard about the dress-down Fridays, but thought that went out in the 90's!

Hello wmoore...I think that's exactly what I wanted to hear, though as you say could be different in Melbourne. I reckon it's more the cramped rush-hour trams and trains that bother me, an office with working air-con would be ok if you had to wear a tie. I suppose it comes down to the company in the end, I just wanted to check the men's office 'uniform' wasn't compulsory

Cheers

M
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Hello wmoore...I think that's exactly what I wanted to hear, though as you say could be different in Melbourne. I reckon it's more the cramped rush-hour trams and trains that bother me, an office with working air-con would be ok if you had to wear a tie. I suppose it comes down to the company in the end, I just wanted to check the men's office 'uniform' wasn't compulsory
I don't envy you commuting by train in Melbourne There was a news story on the TV last week showing how cramped they are in rush hour and how the company has been fined (again) for very poor performance / timekeeping - http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...?s_cid=rss_age

I occaisionally used the train for work in Brisbane (I didn't work in the CBD so it was easier to drive most days) and it was never so cramped you were fighting for space.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:57 pm
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane doe's not have rush hour then? Yes the trains are slow and crampt, oh and their run buy connex, just like London. But can you live 9km's out of cbd in a 3 bedroomed detached house with a GARDEN!!! for £125,000
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:12 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Brisbane doe's not have rush hour then? Yes the trains are slow and crampt, oh and their run buy connex, just like London. But can you live 9km's out of cbd in a 3 bedroomed detached house with a GARDEN!!! for £125,000
Brisbane certainly does have a rush hour. I'm just saying that I never found the trains so cramped you couldn't breathe! I could normally get a seat too.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default **: **ty w**k*ng * d**ss **d*?

{snip} edited until I can remember what I said!

Last edited by M_and_J; May 23rd 2007 at 10:17 pm.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm
What's happening dudes?

Default Re: **: **ty w**k*ng * d**ss **d*?

Originally Posted by M_and_J
**th** way, *'v* a **t t* g*t *s*d t*...* **v* 2 m*ns wa*k ***m my ****** h*** *n N*tt*ngham, ***m *n**s*d* ** T**nt B**dg* t* th* *th** (****k*t *ans w*** kn*w wh*** * m*an!).

**ank*y th* th**ght ** ANY k*nd ** **mm*t* ****s m* w*th d**ad, b*t that what happ*ns wh*n y**'v* b**n spa**d th* h*****s *** th* *ast **w y*a*s :**k:
Say what now?
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

argh! yeah, it went really strange when I posted that...restarted the PC, still the same so thought it was a forum problem. I will edit it!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

I work in IT and have seen most problems...but that was a new one on me :curse:

Every post got scrambled with asterisks...so I went to other BE forums and it was the same there, but the rest of the interweb was fine. bizarre...but working now thankfully.

I think I'd posted about my dread of the daily commute...I am spoilt here in Nottingham...I live 2 mins from my office, from one side of Trent Bridge to the other (cricket fans will get where I mean!). I suppose I'm in for a hell of a shock come October!
Old May 24th 2007, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice

The one thing I learned from my time working in the city was they have a thing about men only wearing long sleeved shirts. I found it very strange but the only people wearing short ones were couriers. I think I heard that it stems back to the opposition to the safari suit shirt wearing days.