Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Test feedback

Citizenship Test feedback

Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Test feedback

I need to get pissed or thump someone; anything to take out my frustrations. After her indoors winding me up yesterday and the Clarkson rail line descending into chaos this week I am one wrong word away from losing the f*****g plot.

Ok, this morning’s frustration. I just did my Citizenship Test and passed with 100%. No need for congratulations, it is SO easy as long as you read the booklet. The one thing I will say is that the questions were weighted slightly more towards rights / responsibilities and indigenous issues than I expected.

Anyway, I turn up at 8.55am for my 9am appointment and the door is closed. The bird on reception with the miserable face and an attitude to match will not open it until exactly 9am. I am third in line and get given a ticket and told to wait for it to be called; the first guy in the queue was a time-waster trying to use immigration as an excuse to talk to his DIL from what I could hear. There was a Yank in front of me (who I think may have actually managed to fail as she joined the back of queue again afterwards). We both sat there for about 20 minutes before the Yank is called. (Why? There are dozens of staff milling around with coffees and pies but no one seems to be doing anything) Another 15 minutes and I am finally called to see someone. I think it was her first week on the job as she had her supervisor sitting behind her. She asks for and receives my documents then explains that the scanner is out of action so she will have to type everything in manually. She then explains that the camera doesn’t work either so I cannot have my photo taken and will have to send passport photos in with my application.

Okay it is now 9.45am and I finally get taken into the testing room. I cannot log on because the first woman wrote my code down with an “O” not a “Q”. After trial and error we sort that out. The woman in charge of the PC’s then insists I have to do the tutorial which tells me to click on the answer I think is right then press next (good job as I would never have worked that out for myself). Finally I take the test and after 3 minutes and 20 questions up pops a message to say I passed (no mark though). I am asked if I want to see someone about the results or the next steps and I say “yes” as the no photo thing wasn’t explained well. So I sit in a queue for another 10 minutes before a guy tells me my pass mark, gives me the forms and wishes me a good day (I think he used about 8 words in convey all of that). I got out of there about 10.20

So Sam goes next in a couple of weeks then we can submit forms (wait 4-6 weeks for acknowledgement), wait until the police clearances are in (my mates went missing) and the forms processed then wait several months for a ceremony. Don’t you just love bureaucrats?!

We have to pitch a tent tonight while Sam drifts off into her own little world and Maryann tries to help and gets in the way. There could be a bloodbath!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Test feedback

Oh dear

When we went it wasnt much better really, we waited for ages to see someone, we booked our tests separately (I was 11am, OH was 12 or something like that) as we had noone to look after Katie. OH might as well have taken a ticket when I took mine as it took forever. He got given my password for the test as well.

Hope you dont have to wait too long for a ceremony, ours was only about a month, we got the citizenship letter saying "up to six months" then next day letter from the Shire asking if we'd like to do it Aus Day

Will send you some calming karma
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I need to get pissed or thump someone; anything to take out my frustrations. After her indoors winding me up yesterday and the Clarkson rail line descending into chaos this week I am one wrong word away from losing the f*****g plot.

Ok, this morning’s frustration. I just did my Citizenship Test and passed with 100%. No need for congratulations, it is SO easy as long as you read the booklet. The one thing I will say is that the questions were weighted slightly more towards rights / responsibilities and indigenous issues than I expected.

Anyway, I turn up at 8.55am for my 9am appointment and the door is closed. The bird on reception with the miserable face and an attitude to match will not open it until exactly 9am. I am third in line and get given a ticket and told to wait for it to be called; the first guy in the queue was a time-waster trying to use immigration as an excuse to talk to his DIL from what I could hear. There was a Yank in front of me (who I think may have actually managed to fail as she joined the back of queue again afterwards). We both sat there for about 20 minutes before the Yank is called. (Why? There are dozens of staff milling around with coffees and pies but no one seems to be doing anything) Another 15 minutes and I am finally called to see someone. I think it was her first week on the job as she had her supervisor sitting behind her. She asks for and receives my documents then explains that the scanner is out of action so she will have to type everything in manually. She then explains that the camera doesn’t work either so I cannot have my photo taken and will have to send passport photos in with my application.

Okay it is now 9.45am and I finally get taken into the testing room. I cannot log on because the first woman wrote my code down with an “O” not a “Q”. After trial and error we sort that out. The woman in charge of the PC’s then insists I have to do the tutorial which tells me to click on the answer I think is right then press next (good job as I would never have worked that out for myself). Finally I take the test and after 3 minutes and 20 questions up pops a message to say I passed (no mark though). I am asked if I want to see someone about the results or the next steps and I say “yes” as the no photo thing wasn’t explained well. So I sit in a queue for another 10 minutes before a guy tells me my pass mark, gives me the forms and wishes me a good day (I think he used about 8 words in convey all of that). I got out of there about 10.20

So Sam goes next in a couple of weeks then we can submit forms (wait 4-6 weeks for acknowledgement), wait until the police clearances are in (my mates went missing) and the forms processed then wait several months for a ceremony. Don’t you just love bureaucrats?!

We have to pitch a tent tonight while Sam drifts off into her own little world and Maryann tries to help and gets in the way. There could be a bloodbath!
I also had hassles although not as many as you. I was there for over an hour before I did the test - which took 90 seconds! The woman processing me did not know how to use her software properly and had a supervisor helping her. No matter how much ID you show them to prove who you are, you still have to fill in an extra form - 1295 - and get a certified photo to confirm your ID.

I'm just waiting on a UK police check before I can apply for citizenship.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No matter how much ID you show them to prove who you are, you still have to fill in an extra form - 1295 - and get a certified photo to confirm your ID.
That's what I thought was a wind up, they had everything: passport, WA driving licence, the lot and it STILL wasnt enough.

What a waste of our tax dollars...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridie
That's what I thought was a wind up, they had everything: passport, WA driving licence, the lot and it STILL wasnt enough.

What a waste of our tax dollars...
So do you need to take down your own passport size photo with certified prove? Or do they do it there? I am getting confused as what you need to take.
Nothing is straight forward here is it
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys, sorry to hear of all your dramas although have to admit I'm pleased to know it isn't the most taxing of tests to take ... anyway my question??

Can you take test prior to being in country for 2 years (which is what we need to be) or does nothing start until that magic date has passed? I think they do the ceremony in our local town but only once a year which is just after our 2 yr anniversary so don't want to miss out if at all possible. We could probably do the cermony elsewhere but it'd be better in our local town wouldn't it!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Can you take test prior to being in country for 2 years (which is what we need to be) or does nothing start until that magic date has passed? I think they do the ceremony in our local town but only once a year which is just after our 2 yr anniversary so don't want to miss out if at all possible. We could probably do the cermony elsewhere but it'd be better in our local town wouldn't it!
You can do the test in advance. And local authorities are expected to organise ceremonies at least every 3 months, normally.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Simpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really nice

What does the ceremony involve? Is it a little like graduating? And what sort of questions are asked in the test?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simpleton
What does the ceremony involve? Is it a little like graduating? And what sort of questions are asked in the test?
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/resour...ship/index.htm
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/test/index.htm
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
So do you need to take down your own passport size photo with certified prove? Or do they do it there? I am getting confused as what you need to take.
Nothing is straight forward here is it
If you're eligible to apply for your citizenship (i.e. done the 2 years) when you do the test I guess you could try taking the certified photo and form 1295 (i think it is) with you.

They do take a photo there, that's what I couldnt understand....