Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purchase of garden equipment Oz or UK?

Purchase of garden equipment Oz or UK?

Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all
Default Purchase of garden equipment Oz or UK?

Keep reading threads about the hastle regarding the cleaning of imported tools (Rust, grass etc) and have a question.
My implements are well old and beyond cleaning so my idea is to leave them (sell) in UK. The question or enquiry from my part is would it be better to by new UK and ship in boxes (unopened new) or purchase in Oz........ thinking prices mainly as tools over here are quite cheap (ie mower £50, leaf blower £20).
Any help (Oz costs etc), or past experiences appreciated.
Thanks, Paul.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:13 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchase of garden equipment Oz or UK?

Originally Posted by holsie0
Keep reading threads about the hastle regarding the cleaning of imported tools (Rust, grass etc) and have a question.
My implements are well old and beyond cleaning so my idea is to leave them (sell) in UK. The question or enquiry from my part is would it be better to by new UK and ship in boxes (unopened new) or purchase in Oz........ thinking prices mainly as tools over here are quite cheap (ie mower £50, leaf blower £20).
Thanks, Paul.
If you ship anything which is not older than a year then you're liable to pay import duties - especially if it looks quite obvious that the items have never been used or are in their original sealed boxes.

Buy them in Oz.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, Paul.
Hello
I would leave it till you are here, we have just bought a few things from local diy store and they have a wide range of prices. just depends on how much you want to spend.
Some idea of prices are $30 for a strimmer, $250 for a petrol mower.
Buying it here will be one less hassle for you before you leave, which is a bonus.

Hope this helps, good luck
Sue
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:12 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bevs
Hello
I would leave it till you are here, we have just bought a few things from local diy store and they have a wide range of prices. just depends on how much you want to spend.
Some idea of prices are $30 for a strimmer, $250 for a petrol mower.
Buying it here will be one less hassle for you before you leave, which is a bonus.

Hope this helps, good luck
Sue
Aussie mowers are a lot tougher than the things i have seen come out of the UK... my mower is Bigger Than your mower. [small mower syndrome]......mm
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:19 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Paul.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/
For anything/everything you could need....

Click on the catalogue on the front page. It's shockwave, searchable and you will find all current prices there.

Last edited by @boy; Dec 8th 2007 at 12:21 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Paul.
A lot of people here, including me, don't have a lawnmower and pay a mowing service/gardener to do it. It's pretty cheap and there are better things to do than mowing grass.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Cheers peeps

TAX! argh!!!!

Obviously cheaper 2 buy than clean................. x

Will leave until resident! AMi, whats the going rate?

H x
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A lot of people here, including me, don't have a lawnmower and pay a mowing service/gardener to do it. It's pretty cheap and there are better things to do than mowing grass.
I have a petrol lawnmower (cost $400) but my garden was too big and took all weekend to cut plus I had to get rid of all the grass so now theres a wee fat man who uses a sit on mower and does it for $50 every 3 weeks and takes it all away and a fine job he does too.