Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citizenship-restrictions on leaving Oz????

citizenship-restrictions on leaving Oz????

Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

fuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to all
Default citizenship-restrictions on leaving Oz????

Hi,
can anyone help. We have been told that to apply for citizenship you need to be in australia for two years, however, some people are saying that you cannot leave during those two years if you wish to apply for citizenship and your australian passport :scared: obviously this would have major issues re visiting family, and what about in a worse case scenario of a family member being sick in the UK, can you leave Oz to visit them. Obviously the visa is valid till 2011 and our emigration consultant has told us there is no restriction on coming in and out and then re-applying for one when it expires in 2011 but we would really like to go for citizenship and get our passport.

Anyone know anything, please help!!
thanks
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship-restrictions on leaving Oz????

Originally Posted by fuzziferret
Hi,
can anyone help. We have been told that to apply for citizenship you need to be in australia for two years, however, some people are saying that you cannot leave during those two years if you wish to apply for citizenship and your australian passport :scared: obviously this would have major issues re visiting family, and what about in a worse case scenario of a family member being sick in the UK, can you leave Oz to visit them. Obviously the visa is valid till 2011 and our emigration consultant has told us there is no restriction on coming in and out and then re-applying for one when it expires in 2011 but we would really like to go for citizenship and get our passport.

thanks
Mate I dont think the leaving is concerned with short term holidays or breaks to visit sick relatives. I think its when you are out for more than 90 days in a 2 year period they start to ask questions.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Mate I dont think the leaving is concerned with short term holidays or breaks to visit sick relatives. I think its when you are out for more than 90 days in a 2 year period they start to ask questions.
I don't think you are correct, I think they add up every day. And they have the records to check. You can leave for any period you want but you have to had been in the country for two years total before you can apply.

Last edited by NedKelly; Jul 20th 2006 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

They do add up the time you're out of Australia, but that's not to say you can't go! If you're away for 4 weeks in the 2 years then you can apply for citizenship after 2 years and 4 weeks. (That is - until they change the requirement to 3 years!)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:49 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I don't think you are correct, I think they add up every day. And they have the records to check.
The intention behind the rule is to ensure people really do want to reside in Australia. How then would the corporate world survive with individuals who are not able to make meetings?

OP you should talk directly with either your agent or the immigration office.

My comments are based on my experiences in gaining citizenship in UK where I spend alot of time travelling - they got me to list all my trips out of the UK - which had to ty back to my 3 passports (over 12 years).

As I could explain all my movements they were quite happy I am sure Oz is the same. But check as mentioned above to confirm.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

fuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to all

I tell you, trying to get info out of the Oz immigration Web site is a nightmare, it's just not clear on there. Thanks folks, very helpful. Where did you guys get your info from?
Originally Posted by Pootle
They do add up the time you're out of Australia, but that's not to say you can't go! If you're away for 4 weeks in the 2 years then you can apply for citizenship after 2 years and 4 weeks. (That is - until they change the requirement to 3 years!)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you, trying to get info out of the Oz immigration Web site is a nightmare, it's just not clear on there. Thanks folks, very helpful. Where did you guys get your info from?
I went into this in detail as they are planning to change the rules on the 27th Jan 2007. I arrived on a PR on the 1st Jan 2005 so my two years are up on the 31st Dec 2006. Trouble is I went back to the UK for 4 weeks when my father died so I am 1 day out and will probably have to wait another year before I can apply.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks
At present it is two years, soon changing to three.
Australia counts this as individual days, and to gain citizenship you have to spend the required number of DAYS in Australia. So if you take short trips outside the country, it just takes you longer to get to the number of total days required.You can enter as leave as many times as you like, there is no restriction on this, but you cannot apply for the citizenship until you have spent the required number days IN the country.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Try here:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/becomi...s/eligible.htm
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pootle
I like requirement 7. That should stop the hangers on who want to leave back to the UK the day after getting thier citizenship.

7. Requirement of Intention

You must intend to reside in Australia or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia. This requirement is mandatory.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I like requirement 7. That should stop the hangers on who want to leave back to the UK the day after getting thier citizenship.
It doesn't stop people changing their mind after being sworn in.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:28 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It doesn't stop people changing their mind after being sworn in.
Is it definatley changing to 3 years on australia day then ?
and do we know yet if existing pr holders are exempt or not?
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Is it definatley changing to 3 years on australia day then ?
Nothing's definite because the legislation has not been passed.

and do we know yet if existing pr holders are exempt or not?

No, we don't.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:18 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nothing's definite because the legislation has not been passed.

Thanks