Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - my exp.

Citizenship - my exp.

Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship - my exp.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you had your approval letter? The council can do nothing until this point, but after that, it's mainly down to them to sort out a ceremony. How frequently are they being organised - if they are slack, you should be complaining to your local councillors.
My letter arrived on 9th Jan, so there has been enough time for DIMIA to communicate with my council...will chase them up again and see what is happening!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - my exp.

Originally Posted by JAJ
No excuse. In areas with a high number of applicants, councils are expected to organise ceremonies monthly. Some councils are very good and do just that, others are not.
I agree 6 months is too long, some people need to book their plane tickets back to the UK. You should be able to get it over the counter
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:16 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lock collector
I recently applied for citizenship, did the whole application online & took all of about 15 mins. Cost AU$120.
Paul
Now even for Citizenship they charge you
Thats great!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:18 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pomster
we lodged our applications in Nov, had the interview 4th Jan....still no sign of a ceremony.

Council blame DIMIA, and DIMIA say it is up to the councils. DIMIA did say that ceremonies are so popular in Vic that there may be a 6 month wait- well surely councils should hold ceremonies more often?

Not impressed so far.
My question is if you lodge your applications (after you have stayed 2 years) and you are not called for interview, can you go to your nativeland take a break and come back if you want to?
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
My question is if you lodge your applications (after you have stayed 2 years) and you are not called for interview, can you go to your nativeland take a break and come back if you want to?

Can't see why not.

The letter acknowledging our applications came through very quickly, and stested we had to make an appointment for an interview within a month of the date of the letter- although there was a waiting list and ours was about 8 weeks later.

I called DIMIA on Monday and they said ' yes we know about DIMIA's stated
aim of an interview within 3 months, but too many applicants mean there may be a wait of 8 months! It has gone up since we last spoke....
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:32 am
Nos De Caraid...

Can't see why not.

The letter acknowledging our applications came through very quickly, and stested we had to make an appointment for an interview within a month of the date of the letter- although there was a waiting list and ours was about 8 weeks later.

aim of an interview within 3 months, but too many applicants mean there may be a wait of 8 months! It has gone up since we last spoke....
Woooho if you can go to your native after filing your citizenship (claim ) and you know your dates of ceremony nothing better than this...
Folks then I am not worried if they take 6 months to issue me a letter
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
All adult applicants for grant of Australian citizenship are interviewed. Yes you can travel back home (for a vacation) if you wish, however your application won't be approved until after your interview. And you don't become a citizen until your citizenship ceremony.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should write to your federal MP and ask him or her to raise this issue with the Minister. "Too many applicants" is a lame excuse, councils should simply organise more ceremonies (or use a bigger venue) if this is the case.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:18 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by JAJ
All adult applicants for grant of Australian citizenship are interviewed. Yes you can travel back home (for a vacation) if you wish, however your application won't be approved until after your interview. And you don't become a citizen until your citizenship ceremony.
Great! Sound Good JAJ...

Cheers,
Bart
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you should write to your federal MP and ask him or her to raise this issue with the Minister. "Too many applicants" is a lame excuse, councils should simply organise more ceremonies (or use a bigger venue) if this is the case.
It seems DIMIA and Hobson's Bay have had enough of me...HB council gave me the citizenship co-ordinator's direct number. Over the phone they have told me that we will be invited for our ceremony on 17th May. Yippee- just before I fly to US for 2 weeks (for work)
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

It seems DIMIA and Hobson's Bay have had enough of me...HB council gave me the citizenship co-ordinator's direct number. Over the phone they have told me that we will be invited for our ceremony on 17th May. Yippee- just before I fly to US for 2 weeks (for work)

You'll need to be ready to get an Australian passport immediately then:
http://www.passports.gov.au
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

the ozbyrnes will become famous soon enoughthe ozbyrnes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not necessarily continuously however (you can take vacations, for example, but you must then add on the time you've missed).
Hi,

I thought that you could apply after 2 years, and of that 2 years you had to have chalked up at least 12 months of living in Oz ? i'm sure i read this somewhere on the dima site, but i could be wrong, which is normally the case
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Location: Near Buckingham UK, but moving to Adelaide in February 2006.
Sian & Paul is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Legislation to do that is still before Parliament, not in effect yet.
Oh no!! Is that likely to happen, increasing it to 3 years I mean? Is it up for discussion or just a rubber-stamping exercise? And what's the likely timescale for it to reach the top of the pile? We've only been here 2 months! Aggghhh!