Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship changes: who has written to their MP?

Citizenship changes: who has written to their MP?

Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:06 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship changes: who has written to their MP?

I wrote last Thursday to mine. (although he isn't really mine is he, bearing in mind that I can't vote).

Sent it by e-mail - no acknowledgement as yet.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:33 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any news yet on timescales and how it affects those of us already here?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

I will have been here 2 years in October. Will i have to wait for another year?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Citizenship changes: who has written to their MP?

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Several threads in here over the past week or so have shown many people (myself included) are concerned that they may be affected.

Some people, such as Jeremy have suggested those potentially affected should write to their federal MP to express those concerns.

So, who has written so far? A thread showing those who have written could be useful, since they can maybe help out those who dont feel so confident in writing, and also a way of judging just how many people on this forum feel they may be affected.

Have you written to your MP?

1. I've written already

2. I am going to write

3. Doesnt affect me

4. Doesnt bother me
Yes I wrote to Bronwyn Bishop and explained I don't wear a head scarf
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:23 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ian12
Yes I wrote to Bronwyn Bishop and explained I don't wear a head scarf
can anyone give a list of things they mentioned like bullet points to help those who want to write but are struggling...!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjonboy
can anyone give a list of things they mentioned like bullet points to help those who want to write but are struggling...!

OK, a lot of my stuff is highly specific, due to me working (and travelling a lot) for an o/seas company, but the general points I made were:

Recent migrants already in Australia, understood they would qualify for citizenship after two years residency on a permanent visa. To be living in Australia, and attempting to fully assimilate into Australian society, and then being told that their qualification date has been put back does not seem fair, particularly at a time when we are being bombarded with TV ads encouraging us to take out citizenship.

Many skilled migrants tend to be higher income earners, since after all, they are here to fill gaps in the Australian skills base. Whilst in Australia on permanent residency visas they are liable for Australian tax (often in the higher tax brackets), yet are disenfranchised. While this is to be expected as migrants to a new country, to now change that period of disenfranchisement is again unfair.

For those migrants, who originally arrived in Australia on a provisional spouse visa, the situation is even worse. Time spent in Australia on the provisional visa does not count towards citizenship, and so many spouse entrants currently face almost 4 years before qualification, which will of course change to 5 years if the proposed legislation is enacted.

[OK the last point will probably be addressed in the changes, but then again, it would do no harm in raising this].

Anyone else have any other ideas on what to write?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Howard
I will have been here 2 years in October. Will i have to wait for another year?

Probably not, as long as you apply before the change gets through Parliament (it hasn't been introduced yet).

Use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au to work out when you can apply, no point in applying too soon.

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
I wrote last Thursday to mine. (although he isn't really mine is he, bearing in mind that I can't vote).

Sent it by e-mail - no acknowledgement as yet.

E-mail is not always reliable, so if you get no reply, follow up with a phone call.

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thebridge is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard of people who applied for citizenship two or three months before they were eligible considering that it takes time to process the application.

Can it hurt the process to apply two or three months in advance to have the application in the system?

Last edited by Thebridge; Sep 19th 2005 at 1:23 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 8:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Thebridge
I heard of people who applied for citizenship two or three months before they were eligible considering that it takes time to process the application.

Can it hurt the process to apply two or three months in advance to have the application in the system?
No - because you must meet the residence requirement at the time of application.

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:09 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Is anyone else suffering from a nagging worry that, by 'rocking the boat' over this, they might end up getting deported for being troublemakers...? :scared:

Anya.