Citizenship

Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:47 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship

Just a note to let you know our experiences of the road to Citizenship (so far).

Our daughter finished year 12 and applied to go to Uni & was offered her first choice on 11th January. As Permanent Residents we would be charged the same as Oz Citizens but wouldn't be able to take advantage of the HELP loans which delays repayment of the fees until the student's income level triggers repayments.

As we were eligible for Citizenship on 21st January, I phoned the Citizenship Office to explain our situation and ask if our daughter's application could in some way be fast tracked. I expected that we would have to pay the fees for the first Semester but hoped the process for Citizenship would be completed before the second. I was told that there were staff within the department (in Brisbane) who dealt with urgent cases and that we seemed to fit the bill.

I did as they suggested and filled in the applications on-line, giving credit card details for the $120 each application needed and was then advised by email that we could all attend the interview together- no need to make an appointment, just turn up.

We went to the office on 5th February with the necessary papers of identification and later that week were phoned to say that our daughter could attend a Ceremony on the following Tuesday, 13th; our Ceremony would be 'probably April' and held locally rather than in Brisbane.

Just thought I'd flag this with any others who may be in a similar situation now or in the future - the Uni cut-off date for her sorting out the loan paperwork is 22nd March so plenty of time - we hope!

Throughout the process the staff at the Citizenship Office were very helpful - but it seems the old saying still holds true: If you don't ask, you don't get!

ps. http://www.citizenship.gov.au/becomi...s/eligible.htm
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Citizenship

Hi there, so glad I stumbled on this thread. Could you please explain the 'help' payment of fees for uni courses ? My son finishes Year 12 in November and we are beginning to panic a bit and get confused. We have our Aussie Citizenship.

Hope you don't mind !
SD
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe that the two years has gone so fast! Seems only yesterday we were all sitting in the pub wondering when we would get here Glad she got her first choice - where's she off to?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surfdude
Hi there, so glad I stumbled on this thread. Could you please explain the 'help' payment of fees for uni courses ? My son finishes Year 12 in November and we are beginning to panic a bit and get confused. We have our Aussie Citizenship.
As your son is an Australian citizen, he should be eligible to defer his uni fees, or get a 25% (or so) discount if he pays up front.

Permanent residents and New Zealand citizens also pay domestic fees, but do not get access to the fee discount/deferral options.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:47 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

surfdude - Try this link for info and the app form. JAJ is right about discounts; this year it's 20% if you pay fees up front before the 'census date'

moneypen - Please don't remind me how time flies!!! Obviously I feel a bit younger now that the admin relating to PR & citizenship is almost done - just the tax stuff and super ann to understand now! (enjoying your blog BTW!!) Hope to catch up with you and yours one day this year - now that all the UK visitors have gone..... we're recovering well thanks!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:59 am
late starter

Rhubarborama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surfdude

Hope you don't mind !
SD
Worth noting that there are 2 main sources of financial support for Australian citizens and I believe for holders of a permanent humanitarian visa. Not available generally to PRs I believe.
1) HECS-help and 2) FEE-Help. HECS help is for students taking "Commonwealth" ie government supported degree courses. Fee help is for students taking courses that aren't govt supported e.g. many private uni courses.
Note also that Fee help is not as advantagious as HECS help and usually costs more in the long run, as there is a flat fee (20%) for taking it up, unlike HECS-Help.
Cheers
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I can't tell you how mad I am about this, I called at the beginning of January about this and was told that I could not have an appointment until 6th March!!!! I explained that we needed citizenship asap, but stupid me didn't say why. I have now today emailed the department person who 'may' be able to help as its now very late in the day , thanks to this thread.

I can't believe that the bloke who spoke to me originally didn't say that we might meet criteria to have the kids fast tracked.

Thank you, cross your fingers that they will help us, otherwise two kids uni fees to pay and a HUGE tax bill.

A very hopeful Tracey
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Thank you, cross your fingers that they will help us, otherwise two kids uni fees to pay and a HUGE tax bill.
Citizenship will make a difference to uni fees (20% or so) but why do you think will it make any difference to your tax assessment?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Citizenship will make a difference to uni fees (20% or so) but why do you think will it make any difference to your tax assessment?
It won't - but I was looking for some cyber sympathy.

T