Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:02 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

Originally Posted by jackhigh
what a dumb, stupid, pathetic and idiotic remark!
It would cheer the lions up, I thought that was the point of the thread.

God's waiting room?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh
what a dumb, stupid, pathetic and idiotic remark!
No, its just an off the cuff remark with a bit of humour. Probably not entirely appropriate when the subject matter is something that upsets people, but each to their own
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Regular adverts on tv for circuses 'with animals' up here in QLD.

Not breaking any laws. Not a lot which the individual can do other than not buying tickets.
I know what you mean but I hope that people power might be a bit more effective. I might be idealistic, but I live in hope.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:38 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's puke-worthy and completely immoral. Lions' territories don't go below 20 sq km at the best of times (iirc). It's like keeping a human in a cell.

You could try writing to the local paper, but they might be a bit reluctant to alienate what is presumably an advertiser. Another approach might be to write to the mall and the PR people at their respective anchor tenants, suggesting that it shows them in a poor light. (Obviously the anchor tenants don't have anything to do with the inviting - but they are the people who can pressure the mall).
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I thought I might try the owners of the Westfield next. Surely they would not like to be so closely associated wth cruelty? They would probably have more influence (financially) with the council than little old pommy me.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:31 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

It's a god thing. If they have faith in me the children will come to no harm. If they haven't... well that's religion for you.

If you are really serious, go to the circus and ask them about the lions. Non-domestic animals are no longer recruited into circuses I believe, but these animals may well be old cats which have been with the circus since they were cubs (lions live a long time). The chances are that they are happier there than they would be if they were shifted. Or perhaps they are waiting for space somewhere that can look after them. Lions are expensive animals to keep. It's not easy to find them a new home. There are many possibilities. You don't know the facts. Get the facts first.

If you still have concerns, the RSPCA are the people to talk to. I'm sure they are already well aware of the situation.

Last edited by Burbage; Feb 27th 2009 at 8:36 pm.