Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

What I saw today has made me feel really upset. I just can't get it out of my head.

Next to the Westfield shopping centre in Helensvale, Lennon's Circus has set up their camp. I was disgusted to see a trailer with bars on the front and 3 pitiful lions sitting in side. It was like something from the film "dumbo" but was rusted and old. Later that day when I went to the train station I saw that the circus staff had them outside in a circular cage. Their were lamas and ponies grazing outside the cage and the lioness was demented running at the bars trying to pounce.

I cannot understand how anybody would pay money to be titillated by the sight of these magnificent animals degraded and shamed. Shame on the local government for letting such a thing happen.

My boys are aged 9 and 14 and they know how cruel it is to have animals in a circus, particularly lions. Surely there can't be any adults in this day and age who believe that this sort of thing is acceptable?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Circus Lions in Helensvale. Horrific.

I'm amazed to be honest. We regularly get circuses down this end of the coast but they don't use animals. I thought that was a big no no these days. I hope you've complained to the council.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

That is awful... Please complain..
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

fryer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RenShen
What I saw today has made me feel really upset. I just can't get it out of my head.

Next to the Westfield shopping centre in Helensvale, Lennon's Circus has set up their camp. I was disgusted to see a trailer with bars on the front and 3 pitiful lions sitting in side. It was like something from the film "dumbo" but was rusted and old. Later that day when I went to the train station I saw that the circus staff had them outside in a circular cage. Their were lamas and ponies grazing outside the cage and the lioness was demented running at the bars trying to pounce.

I cannot understand how anybody would pay money to be titillated by the sight of these magnificent animals degraded and shamed. Shame on the local government for letting such a thing happen.

My boys are aged 9 and 14 and they know how cruel it is to have animals in a circus, particularly lions. Surely there can't be any adults in this day and age who believe that this sort of thing is acceptable?
cant believe it, i thought it was no longer acceptable
i live also in helensvale, and have son 14, do u fancy meeting up
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I personally hate to see anything like this?I don't even tolerate zoo's!I have never been to an animal circus,and I would of thought these days they would be out of fashion?Hate seeing animals caged up!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Please ring the council, rspca, local paper, anyone that might help.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad its not just me thats upset by it. I will call the council today to see what response I get.

I am only here on a 457 visa so am easily sent home. If I had a more permanent status I would run a protest!!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fryer
cant believe it, i thought it was no longer acceptable
i live also in helensvale, and have son 14, do u fancy meeting up
Sent you a pm
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

http://www.awlqld.com.au/

These are 2 mins down the road from there. Not sure if they could help? I drove by it this morning but didn't see the animals? As PP's have said, it's pretty disgusting that circus' still use animals.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Pongobongo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I drove past the cricus yesterday and was upset to see animals in cages.
My two girls were really upset by it too. I thought that there would be no appeal in this sort of circus in this day and age.
Kat x
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:03 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Some Australian states still allow circuses to have animals. The ACT banned them when I was a child.

Australian states and territories do their own thing so often. I know Australia started as a collection of widely dispersed colonies, but it is time for the nation to start taking better control of things like this.

The same thing happened with smoking in eating establishments - the ACT banned it while other places did not until very recently.

A lot of bad stuff is happening because the state governments cannot get their acts together.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Regular adverts on tv for circuses 'with animals' up here in QLD.

Not breaking any laws. Not a lot which the individual can do other than not buying tickets.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:10 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

You could always cheer the lions up byputting your children in the cage with them to play with.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Burbage
You could always cheer the lions up byputting your children in the cage with them to play with.
what a dumb, stupid, pathetic and idiotic remark!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh
what a dumb, stupid, pathetic and idiotic remark!
Why don't you tell us what you really think instead of sitting on that fence!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.