Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas is coming.... Help!

Christmas is coming.... Help!

Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Christmas is coming.... Help!

I wonder if any of you can help?

I'm beginning to plan for a trip home at Christmas.. Hubby and I got talking last night and we both decided that we don't think we could stand another Christmas here in Aus, both of us want to spend it with our families.

so here goes...

Do any of you know of some recommended cat kennels in the Brisbane area.. north or south it doesn't matter... I'd rather a kennel which only houses cats and not dogs.. one of my cats hates barking dogs... really scares him.. I don't want to just pick one out from a phone book.. I'd prefer one which someone has used and can recommend it highly to me. I've had a bad experience with a kennel in the past (not here in Aus , but in Singapore... one of my cats escaped and he was never found again.. to be honest I think it was a cover up... probably died in there, and they would not admit it)

The other thing... flights??? Is it cheaper getting them online? has anyone got a few links for flight centres here in Aus... much appreciated if you have.

Also if anyone is in Singapore (I think one of the mods are) .. can you give me some online flight centre links there... I may just book a ticket to Sing from Aus (I plan to spend a week in Sing to catch up with some old friends and hit the shops before travelling onward to Britain) ) book a return ticket from sing to Britain. It may actually work out cheaper to do it this way.. It's surprising. When I was there.. it was actually cheaper (for the trains) to nip across to Johor and buy a ticket there instead of buying a ticket in Singapore train station (I travelled up to Thailand this way once with a friend who refused to fly.... what an experience.. took us two and a half days to reach there, train broke down in the middle of Malaysia.. had to wait hours for a new train, then to top it all off the train was raided with armed police looking for smugglers with rice, a lady took off and ran across the fields.. lol) I'm waffling now

Anyway, any kennel recommendations (Brisbane area) and flight links Here and in Sing).. much appreciated

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We out of here for Xmas too, (guilty of this most years, bbq in 40 degrees in someones garage put me off for ever).

Flights, looked up heaps of prices on www.bestflights.com.au Perth based but massive variety of fares. Found final prices between travel agent in Brisbane and on Net same, in fact couple of fares cheaper with agent.

We ended up on Singapore $1720 each plus taxes about $160 leaving end of nov, prices shoot up after that.

Kennels! nightmare, rang three not one called me back. Anybody want a very active dog for a month?

I'd get onto the flights pretty soon, seems availability on the return sector is pretty squeezy.

Now all I need is a general anasthetic to get me through the flight
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Try scotch instead of anaesthetic. 8 hours of scotches to Singapore and few tiger beers in the airport and it would be pretty hard not to sleep the final jump to London.

Drinnking beer in the air is dangerous. The cabin pressure makes me fart my a*** off.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Cattery

Hi Cery!

I'd recommend the Samford Kennels /Cattery.It's on Beresford Rd betwen Ferny grove and Samford.My vet recommended them.I've used them 3 times and my cats have been well cared for. The people really love cats and it's very clean.You can pay for extras such as extra"cuddles time" and they let them out in an "play area" once a day.They even have deluxe suites! They do keep dogs too but they are well segregated. It's about $15 a day and they have weekly rates and 5% discount if you pay cash.

Hope this is of some help! Have a good holiday!
Mary
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
We out of here for Xmas too, (guilty of this most years, bbq in 40 degrees in someones garage put me off for ever).

Flights, looked up heaps of prices on www.bestflights.com.au Perth based but massive variety of fares. Found final prices between travel agent in Brisbane and on Net same, in fact couple of fares cheaper with agent.

We ended up on Singapore $1720 each plus taxes about $160 leaving end of nov, prices shoot up after that.

Kennels! nightmare, rang three not one called me back. Anybody want a very active dog for a month?

I'd get onto the flights pretty soon, seems availability on the return sector is pretty squeezy.

Now all I need is a general anasthetic to get me through the flight
cheers for that.
Last time I flew back home I arrived flew on the 23rd and landed Christmas eve morning.. the flight was pretty empty on that day. I suppose not many people want to travel on Christmas eve. I always leave things to the last moment to do anything, thought I'd get in early this time.

Having a nightmare with kennels myself.. I've been trying to search for one which only houses cats, plus air conditioned etc.. argggh!! I found one in Morayfield.. in the yellow pages.. not sure though about it.. suppose I better visit them before booking anything. .. it could be a shack.

Cheers

P.s I came across this link in my travels http://www.petsplayground.com.au/

has lists for Pet friendly holiday accommodation in Aus, so you can take your pet on holiday with you.. may help someone.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Default Re: Cattery

Originally posted by mary1
Hi Cery!

I'd recommend the Samford Kennels /Cattery.It's on Beresford Rd betwen Ferny grove and Samford.My vet recommended them.I've used them 3 times and my cats have been well cared for. The people really love cats and it's very clean.You can pay for extras such as extra"cuddles time" and they let them out in an "play area" once a day.They even have deluxe suites! They do keep dogs too but they are well segregated. It's about $15 a day and they have weekly rates and 5% discount if you pay cash.

Hope this is of some help! Have a good holiday!
Mary
Thanks Mary!!! I'll definitely check them out, you're a life saver