Reload this Page >

Web Designers-Education

Web Designers-Education

Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

alfrednirmal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Web Designers-Education

Hi,

Is it possible for web designers to get a positive RPL assessment without having any relevant qualification?

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be surprised if you could.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by karawara88
I would be surprised if you could.
I have eight years experience as a web designer. Web designing/Programming wasn't difficult for me to learn. I am team lead now. If education is the only thing that counts, there won't be a need for RPL. I am counting on my experience.

I have experience letters from my previous employers? Is that enough are do I have to go and do a course just to get a certification for what I know already?

By the way web designing is a specialization under systems designing.

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:19 pm
owieb

Originally posted by alfrednirmal
I have eight years experience as a web designer. Web designing/Programming wasn't difficult for me to learn. I am team lead now. If education is the only thing that counts, there won't be a need for RPL. I am counting on my experience.

I have experience letters from my previous employers? Is that enough are do I have to go and do a course just to get a certification for what I know already?

By the way web designing is a specialization under systems designing.

Thanks,
Alfred
If you are educated and have the correct qualifications then you should not require RPL. If you do not have qualifications then you will need to go through RPL and must send a comprehensive application that addresses all the areas of the CBOK. Experience letters is not enough for RPL.

The majority of people who go under RPL would be putting together an application in the region of 100 pages.

Check out www.acs.org.au and read all the material available regarding assessment and take it from there.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:20 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Web Designers-Education

I completely agree.

Most web designers do need education
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Graduation or diploma in Web Designing?

Thanks for the reply. I design web graphics, develop web sites with PHP/MySql and ASP/Access and MsSql. I am a Arts graduate.

Will my education be sufficient or do I have to get a graduation or diploma in Web designing?

I have prepared roughly around 100 pages document about all that I have learned...Do I have a chance?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:40 pm
owieb

Default Re: Graduation or diploma in Web Designing?

Thanks for the reply. I design web graphics, develop web sites with PHP/MySql and ASP/Access and MsSql. I am a Arts graduate.

Will my education be sufficient or do I have to get a graduation or diploma in Web designing?

I have prepared roughly around 100 pages document about all that I have learned...Do I have a chance?
Unfortunately I'm not an assessing officer so couldn't say what chance you have.

If you have read all the information on the ACS site and you are confident that you meet the requirements and have addressed all the issues in the CBOK then go for it.

If you're still not sure it may be worth seeking the advice of someone more experienced such as an agent to look over your application.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Smile web designers/positive result

I understand your point owieb. I was hoping to get an answer from someone who understands my situation.

Have any web designers got a positive RPL result?

If there are any web designer who got a positive RPL result, please respond.

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default web designers and RPL results

It seems like there are not many web designers...does anybody know of cases where web designers have got a positive RPL result?

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:39 pm
Badge

Default Re: web designers and RPL results

It seems like there are not many web designers...does anybody know of cases where web designers have got a positive RPL result?

Thanks,
Alfred

RPL is supposed to be in lieu of the Computer Science degree which presumably you haven't got..
SO when and if you do a RPL then you have to satisfy them that you know the core areas of "Computer Science" - some web designers low end developers tend to be arty/not quite so hard core and often don't know much (say) about core software engineering concepts etc. They can write a HTML/ASP page but in the eyes of the ACS/Core Body of Knowledge haven't done the acedemic work.

So it pays to gen on up software engineering as a subject. Just get a degree text book. But systems designers are OK as a profession to migrate.

badgers

Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:19 pm
earlswood

Alfrednirmal,

My hubby applied as a Network Engineer with 9 years experience and no formal qualifications. He went through the RPL process and all I can say is "get an agent - it's a bloody nightmare".

Good ones are George Lombard, Alan Collett etc and they both post regularly on this site.

My RPL application was 60 pages and weighed a ton with all of the other supplementary documents I sent to the ACS.

Regards

Earlswood

Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Web Designers-RPL

Hi,

If there are any web designers please respond. Please give me inputs for preparing documents for RPL.

I am a web designer with eight years experience. I have developed web sites with ASP/MySql and Access. I have also developed web sites using PHP/MySql. In my present company I work as a team lead.

Webbies please open up share your ideas like we always do.

Thanks,
Alfred
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:04 am
owieb

Default Re: Web Designers-RPL

Hi,

If there are any web designers please respond. Please give me inputs for preparing documents for RPL.

I am a web designer with eight years experience. I have developed web sites with ASP/MySql and Access. I have also developed web sites using PHP/MySql. In my present company I work as a team lead.

Webbies please open up share your ideas like we always do.

Thanks,
Alfred
Rather than post the same thread you did yesterday (for which you received some good responses) why don't you get in touch with an agent who will have far more experience and will be able advise you properly?

Many agents will provide an assessment free of charge.