Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christchurch/Dunedin bound in 5 weeks

Christchurch/Dunedin bound in 5 weeks

Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christchurch/Dunedin bound in 5 weeks

Hi all, it's been a while since I last checked out the site and it's good to see some new names as well as some familiar ones.

Having left our application until after the birth of our son (10 weeks old today!) we, like so many others, find ourselves facing up to the new immigration process. As a job offer is needed I have taken the 'extreme' measure of jacking in my job and we fly out to Christchurch in October for a month to lay some groundwork. Having missed out Dunedin in our last trip to NZ we're going to give it a good look as the size of the city and property prices seem to our liking. We'd really like as much info as possible from people who either live there or have been. Naturally we've looked at websites etc and our only concerns are the climate and the fact that Dunedin is out on a limb somewhat. Anyone got any views?

We'd also love to hear from people who have travelled to NZ with a baby. Any tips would be most gratefull. We're flying Air New Zealand - got a good price with Travelbag!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christchurch/Dunedin bound in 5 weeks

Originally posted by Brummie
Hi all, it's been a while since I last checked out the site and it's good to see some new names as well as some familiar ones.

Having left our application until after the birth of our son (10 weeks old today!) we, like so many others, find ourselves facing up to the new immigration process. As a job offer is needed I have taken the 'extreme' measure of jacking in my job and we fly out to Christchurch in October for a month to lay some groundwork. Having missed out Dunedin in our last trip to NZ we're going to give it a good look as the size of the city and property prices seem to our liking. We'd really like as much info as possible from people who either live there or have been. Naturally we've looked at websites etc and our only concerns are the climate and the fact that Dunedin is out on a limb somewhat. Anyone got any views?

We'd also love to hear from people who have travelled to NZ with a baby. Any tips would be most gratefull. We're flying Air New Zealand - got a good price with Travelbag!

PM sent
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Brummie

Hey brave you
You must let us know how things turn out, who know's we may just do the same thing if my hubby does not get the job offer.
Good Luck

Dee

Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:30 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brummie,

Thought you might have been a clone of GetMeOutofHere for a moment, your situation is similar in many ways.

I'm originally from Dunedin and returning to live there is the next month or so with my English wife and kids. We are moving there for the accessible lifestyle, not because of my family (which are based in Nelson). There are a couple of other posters on here have moved or are intending to move there also.

As a city Dunedin has a lot of things going for it, and it also works hard not to be as isolated as the map would suggest. For example, there are at least daily flights to Sydney, and getting quite cheap too. The business and economic scene is pretty good too, plenty happening in many sectors.

Property is a bit more affordable in Dunedin than Christchurch, and the weather compares favourably with London's. The harbour and city beaches, and proximity to Central Otago are obviously big assets too.

Anyway, its not my job to sell the place. I'll let you make your own mind up when you visit. I have included a few links below that you may or may not have seen before.

Overview
http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?page=about

More info on CD Rom
http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?p...at_iamdunedin2

Jobs
http://www.workotagonz.com/workotagonz/

Piccies
http://www.vnz.co.nz/regions/otago.shtml
http://www.davidwallphoto.com/searchresults.asp?g=3

Weather
http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealand...e.html#dunedin

Feel free to drop me a PM, or post any further specific questions on here.

Regards,

Southerner
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Darren I've replied to your pm!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
Hi Brummie,

Thought you might have been a clone of GetMeOutofHere for a moment, your situation is similar in many ways.

I'm originally from Dunedin and returning to live there is the next month or so with my English wife and kids. We are moving there for the accessible lifestyle, not because of my family (which are based in Nelson). There are a couple of other posters on here have moved or are intending to move there also.

As a city Dunedin has a lot of things going for it, and it also works hard not to be as isolated as the map would suggest. For example, there are at least daily flights to Sydney, and getting quite cheap too. The business and economic scene is pretty good too, plenty happening in many sectors.

Property is a bit more affordable in Dunedin than Christchurch, and the weather compares favourably with London's. The harbour and city beaches, and proximity to Central Otago are obviously big assets too.

Anyway, its not my job to sell the place. I'll let you make your own mind up when you visit. I have included a few links below that you may or may not have seen before.

Overview
http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?page=about

More info on CD Rom
http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?p...at_iamdunedin2

Jobs
http://www.workotagonz.com/workotagonz/

Piccies
http://www.vnz.co.nz/regions/otago.shtml
http://www.davidwallphoto.com/searchresults.asp?g=3

Weather
http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealand...e.html#dunedin

Feel free to drop me a PM, or post any further specific questions on here.

Regards,

Southerner
When you off to the land of the long white cloud

Change of plans last night, decided to get out to NZ when house sell completes, start of Oct and do the whole touring around bit and look for work.
Was looking to get a rental in UK, but what I've seen on offer for £ value is a joke, so why pay out rent (dead money) and go to NZ next year, why not just go asap and if no good then come back and find something else.
Got Pickfords & Robinsons coming out for quotes next week, put everything into storage and have it sent on when settled(positive thinking or just madness:scared

Would love to meet up with a few members of my travels.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere

Would love to meet up with a few members of my travels.

Darren

Keep in touch - I would love to show you around Dunedin. We hope to be there by start of October, but may be a bit later now.

Cheers
Old Sep 5th 2003, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Southerner!

BTW any clues on what are the 'best' areas of Dunedin?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
Darren

Keep in touch - I would love to show you around Dunedin. We hope to be there by start of October, but may be a bit later now.

Cheers

Thats a definite. Would love to meet up

Should be Oct & Nov when we'll be over there.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:04 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Thats a definite. Would love to meet up

Should be Oct & Nov when we'll be over there.

Would be happy to meet up with any members, have already with Garrisondamn. Just Pm if you want to.

Paula
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Would be happy to meet up with any members, have already with Garrisondamn. Just Pm if you want to.

Paula
Great reply, can't help smiling, sorry, must be the wine!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:23 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by sully4441
Great reply, can't help smiling, sorry, must be the wine!

I'm going to re-name you Finbar Saunders

(To the uninitiated thats Finbar Saunders and his double intenders as in Viz)

Paula
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
I'm going to re-name you Finbar Saunders

(To the uninitiated thats Finbar Saunders and his double intenders as in Viz)

Paula
Sorry Paula, couldn't help it (and after all the great advice as well?)