Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Choosing a removals company!

Choosing a removals company!

Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

woodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant future
Default Choosing a removals company!

Can i have peoples thoughts on this,we have had 3 quotes,2 very similar and the third conflicting advise to do with size of container!its between Allied Pickfords who say 20ft and Anglo Pacific who say no way it needs to be 40 unless get rid of x amount!Any tips?My brain is on meltdown as it is without this but i suppose its only the start...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Choosing a removals company!

Originally Posted by woodys
Can i have peoples thoughts on this,we have had 3 quotes,2 very similar and the third conflicting advise to do with size of container!its between Allied Pickfords who say 20ft and Anglo Pacific who say no way it needs to be 40 unless get rid of x amount!Any tips?My brain is on meltdown as it is without this but i suppose its only the start...

We have Anglo loading our stuff up on Monday. And so far I can only sing their praises
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

woodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daveandkathh
We have Anglo loading our stuff up on Monday. And so far I can only sing their praises
look forward to hearing how it all went!Good luck with the move!When do you go out and where?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:51 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh...try 'Atlantis'

Birmingham 0121-451-1588 or Leeds 0113-278-9191

C x
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Charley Brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiels
Yeh...try 'Atlantis'

Birmingham 0121-451-1588 or Leeds 0113-278-9191

C x
Hi Everyone,

We are hearing all kinds of bad rap about Anglo Pacific, but who are the best. Anyone used Excess International/Baggage?

We are moving in 3 weeks and so need to get moving

CB
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Had two companies so far, another one due any minute now. Two quotes received so far are almost the same price, but both have listed items that we are not taking and both have come up with completely different cubic capacities. The last one we said that we were taking a few items from the shed, maybe a fork and a spade, and he came back with four boxes for the shed. Their packing must be good

I get the feeling that as we have a four bedroom house, they decide before they come in the door what they will charge us, even though we don't have much furniture, we really don't, and we are not taking a lot of stuff with us.

Am sensing that they are either all aiming at quoting the same, as there is so much business out there they can all share.

or as Harry Enfield says they have a 'I saw you coming' mentality.

Any good luck everyone with your quotes and I look forward to hearing what the next estimator has to say for themselves.

x
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

smokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brickies wife
Had two companies so far, another one due any minute now. Two quotes received so far are almost the same price, but both have listed items that we are not taking and both have come up with completely different cubic capacities. The last one we said that we were taking a few items from the shed, maybe a fork and a spade, and he came back with four boxes for the shed. Their packing must be good

I get the feeling that as we have a four bedroom house, they decide before they come in the door what they will charge us, even though we don't have much furniture, we really don't, and we are not taking a lot of stuff with us.

Am sensing that they are either all aiming at quoting the same, as there is so much business out there they can all share.

or as Harry Enfield says they have a 'I saw you coming' mentality.

Any good luck everyone with your quotes and I look forward to hearing what the next estimator has to say for themselves.

x
good luck with your quotes! i am moving back to the UK, thought i would take the things back with me,save buying again,wrong,quotes where between $4950/6000 same amount of stuff,and that was sharing a container,so solwy selling it all,and the house.so may best to sell yor thins and buy here????? well good luck .
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charley Brown
Hi Everyone,

We are hearing all kinds of bad rap about Anglo Pacific, but who are the best. Anyone used Excess International/Baggage?

We are moving in 3 weeks and so need to get moving

CB
We've just packed our stuff and used Excess Baggage. Have a read of this thread for some comments/rants.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Anglo Pacific have had a very bad press on this forum, but we used them and were very happy with the price and service. We went with them because they responded in the most positive way of any of the companies we contacted (some couldn't even be bothered to fix appointments to give us a quote in the first place).

They originally said that we would need more than a 20ft container as we brought a lot of stuff, but in the end they got it all into a 20ft container along with some stuff we weren't originally intending to bring, but as there was space in the container, we did. I think they are probably cautious when they do the quote which means people may be pleasantly surprised (as we were) if it all fits in to a 20ft and costs less.

As for service, the team who packed up our house (a team of 3 over 2 days) were friendly, helpful and organised. Nothing went missing and nothing was broken except a couple of glass Christmas tree decorations which were probably broken as a result of the quarantine inspection (they were in a box that had been opened). I have quite a lot of china and glass, all of which arrived in perfect condition.

Door to door it took about 8 weeks (London to Sunshine Coast via Brisbane).