Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:46 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

Originally Posted by leftfield
Hmmm. not always advisable.

The other day I picked up a soup which said in big bold letters
"suitable for Vegetarians"
and underneath in just as big bold letters it said.
"may contain seafood"..
Probably "may contain peanuts" too, depending on what the processing equipment has been used for. Anyone going into anaphylactic shock has less claim on the manufacturer.

And here is one manufacturers write up, no mention of gelatin:
http://www.tamarvalleydairy.com.au/pgreekapr.htm
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
You mean that they sell inorganic pasta and sauce? Don't think I'll bother with that. Generally I pass on pasta anyway.

Could be that I don't have an English palate.

Cut costs my arse. They just want to be a pain in the posterior so that people think that they are getting value for money.
Pass on pasta. Pass the port.

You're a snob.

Originally Posted by Zenshin
Since when did I say I need a range of eggs to choose from? By the sounds of it the supermarkets seem to over cater in range for some items i.e eggs yet seriously lack range in other products. I am still coming back since Perth is home and my life does not revolve around food. The lack of choice is something I will have to get used to. Although when I last lived in Perth I used to go to a supermarket (can't remember the name) but it had a huge range at the time but don't remember seeing it when I went back in May.
The egg thing was an example - it was stupid of me to assume a certain level of intelligence on the part of the users of this forum. It's a mistake I've made in the past.. The supermarket was full of a wide variety of pretty much everything. Eggs, milk, cheese, bread, tampons - you name it - 50 different kinds of everything. Praise the ****ing lord, 30 different kinds of wholemeal bread.

Low fat products should be more available in Australia. Over the 11 years I have been away people seem to have grown a hell of a lot fatter and there is a growing obesity problem. If people could choose from decent low fat alternatives then maybe it would be less of a problem. It saddens me to see Australians heading down the same route as the UK and US. The way I see it is that the high fat/easy cook meals available far out number the healthy alternatives and are also far cheaper. I never buy them personally but the supermarkets obviously make more money from selling this crap.
All the low-fat products on sale in UK supermarkets don't seem to have helped the obesity problem in blighty have they? If people can choose from low fat or full fat, they'll still opt for the one that tastes good for the 51 weeks of the year they're not on a guilt-induced diet.

I have to say, it's been ****ing hilarious reading the responses to this thread. Little Englanders, one and all.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Probably "may contain peanuts" too, depending on what the processing equipment has been used for. Anyone going into anaphylactic shock has less claim on the manufacturer.

And here is one manufacturers write up, no mention of gelatin:
http://www.tamarvalleydairy.com.au/pgreekapr.htm
Thanks but personally I don't like greek youghurt..
Just found that very few normal youghurts available are gelatin free.
I have a look out for tamar vallies other stuff thou
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:20 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Pass on pasta. Pass the port.

You're a snob.
Pass on both.

Snub?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
I have to say, it's been ****ing hilarious reading the responses to this thread. Little Englanders, one and all.
Now you can call me four or more letter words but Englander is a fighting word.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Hutch
I will ignore your reference to my level of intelligence since its clear you just want an argument.

As for the obesity in England, that is from lack of nutritional education in my opinion. I have studied a lot of information about nutrition and as my work is in the fitness and nutrition field it amazes me when I see people at the supermarkets buying the ready made crap and then bother getting diet cola or other diet products. Yet try and look for some good old fresh fruit and veg in their trolley and there is nothing. If that is what parents are buying then it is no wonder that many children in the Uk have a lack of knowledge of fruit and veg. I was stunned to speak to a little 6 year old girl a couple of years ago who refused to eat a healthy baked potato because she said she doesn't eat potato. I asked her if she liked chips and she said she did yet she had no idea that the unhealthy chips her mum fed her were made from potato?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Low fat products should be more available in Australia. Over the 11 years I have been away people seem to have grown a hell of a lot fatter and there is a growing obesity problem. If people could choose from decent low fat alternatives then maybe it would be less of a problem. It saddens me to see Australians heading down the same route as the UK and US. The way I see it is that the high fat/easy cook meals available far out number the healthy alternatives and are also far cheaper. I never buy them personally but the supermarkets obviously make more money from selling this crap.
You will find that many low fat processed products ie ready meals, yogurts, are actually full of sugar or have a higher sugar content than there full fat cousin - which can be even worse. Remember that some fats are actually good for you and the body needs them but it doesn't need all that sugar. I think one of the reasons for obesity in the UK is the huge market in low fat ready meals.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hebe
You will find that many low fat processed products ie ready meals, yogurts, are actually full of sugar or have a higher sugar content than there full fat cousin - which can be even worse. Remember that some fats are actually good for you and the body needs them but it doesn't need all that sugar. I think one of the reasons for obesity in the UK is the huge market in low fat ready meals.
Yes although there are many "low fat" products out there that replace the fats with sugars (WW products are particularly bad) there are products in the UK that don't do this. I carefully read all labels on new products I buy. I tend to stay away from processed foods if possible more out of concern for the amount of chemicals that are usually in them. I also do not buy any products with aspartame in as I tend to get major headaches.

I like moneypenny's idea of making your own yoghurt though. Will definitely look into that when I move back and will have time to make it.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Having lived in Oz for 6 years but now back in the UK I have come to dread Tesco etc - As for choice 98% of the population probably put the same things in their basket week in week out so who needs the choice - as soon as you get used to a product it seems to disappear anyway !
Australia far outweighs the Uk for its great choice of Asian ingredients - I watched Rick Stein the other night drooling at his cooking but knowing it was not going to be as simple as nipping to the Chinese supermarket !
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I can see at least 19 different brands / packagings of "Greek Style" yoghurt available from my local WooLees without leaving my computer (one in my fridge right now):
http://www.woolworths.com.au/

Dairy Farmers Yoghurt Greek Style 1kg
Farmers Union Yoghurt Greek Style Light 1kg
Black Swan Yoghurt Greek Style Low Fat 500g
Jalna Greek Style Yoghourt 2kg
Bulla Yoghurt Mixed Berry Greek Style 350g
Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt Honey 230g
Bulla Yoghurt Blackberry and Blueberry Greek Style 220g
Tamar Valley Yoghurt Greek Style Raspberry 230g
Tamar Valley Yoghurt Greek Style Gourmet 6pk 175g
Black Swan Low Fat Greek Style Vanilla Yoghurt 500g
Black Swan Yoghurt Greek Style No Fat 500g
Tamar Valley Yoghurt Greek Style with Fruit 750g
Tamar Valley Yoghurt Greek Style Passionfruit 230g
Tamar Valley Yoghurt Greek Style Mixed Berry 230g
Dairy Farmers Yoghurt Thick and Creamy Greek Style Natural 170g
Farmers Union Yoghurt Natural Greek 1kg
Farmers Union Yoghurt Natural Greek 200g
Farmers Union Yoghurt Natural European Style 200g
did I say they don't have them here? It's the taste, consistency and creaminess I liked about the one in UK.
I just cheked the website of Yeo Organic Greek Style Yoghurt. It seems the fat content makes all the difference. It has 10% fat whereas Australian's have max 3% fat.

This are winners of dairy products in Australia
http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Pro...ners.aspx#2008

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 5th 2009 at 11:28 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And even those in 'Perth' should be able to get Margaret River Greek Style yoghurt
And? does it mean that is must be fantastic or to everybody's taste because it is from MR? Because we have miles and miles green pastures all year round?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Evelin
did I say they don't have them here? It's the taste, consistency and creaminess I liked about the one in UK.
I think it may have been this bit that gave the impression that they didn't...
There is no similar local product in Perth.

Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

And? does it mean that is must be fantastic or to everybody's taste because it is from MR? Because we have miles and miles green pastures all year round?
Well I thought I would help, as I got the impression that you thought that Perth didn't have any...

Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

you know what i miss about uk supermarkets
the great big bloody cafe they all have

fill the trolly with ready meals , park it in its own lock up then sit down to a nice cooked ready meal before going home to put the weeks shopping in the freezer....ahh consumer heaven
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well I thought I would help, as I got the impression that you thought that Perth didn't have any...
ah no, we get it but it's just bland. There is one really great product on the market which is Quark from a dairy farm in SA established by a Swiss family. Sometimes we can get it in WA. When I asked them why we can't have it all day every day I was told that it is because of the drought. However, Quark which is a staple diet in many parts of Europe and rather cheap it is a delicatess over here. A 450gr pot cost $10-$12.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.