Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

So this morning I'm in Woolworths doing the weekly shop and keeping an eye out for bargains, natch. And I wander down the aisle next to the fruit and veg to get some eggs and I'm presented by this ****ing wall of them. I even took a photo of the eggs in question (because someone would inevitably suggest I'm talking rubbish), but I couldn't fit them all in - they extended a good metre either side of this image.

And I'm thinking to myself, what in the name of all that's holy are people banging on about when they whine about lack of choice in the supermarkets here? How many different kinds of egg do you need in your life? Am I disfunctional because the 50 or so different kinds of egg that Woolworths sell is enough for me?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:19 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: That 'choice' thing in supermarkets ...

Any quail eggs?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

oooh, spotted the ones I get. Do I get a prize You didn't take a pic of the bread aisle as well did you?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
oooh, spotted the ones I get. Do I get a prize You didn't take a pic of the bread aisle as well did you?
I'll take my wide-angle lens down there and see what I can do.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'll take my wide-angle lens down there and see what I can do.
Don't forget the special fresh baked bread bit. That's starting to look like Tescos to me
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's starting to look like Tescos to me
You obviously miss it then
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Any quail eggs?
any chocolate ones.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
any chocolate ones.
Sorry.....nothing that actually resembles chocolate
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

And Woolies sell a certain brand that are 'GOURMET' and do you know why they think they can call themselves 'GOURMET'? -.... becuase they are free-range eggs and they think they are gourmet - made me chuckle esp when they were 20c cheaper than the normal Free range. Although I do like to stand next to the eggs and point out to those people buying barn eggs or ccage eggs and show them the cheapest free range. I do find here they really don't care.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:56 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Am I disfunctional because the 50 or so different kinds of egg that Woolworths sell is enough for me?
Oooh no, honey, I don't think that's the reason.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I spent a night last weekend with a English couple who have recently emigrated to Australia (to Brisbane from Cambridge)...they said they were enjoying the choice in the supermarkets....I nearly choked on my food and said surely you mean the other way round like I keep reading on these forums....they said those people must be talking about crappy ready made meals and that the choice of food was a lot better here.

I now choose to believe they are really wise and the rest of you are wrong
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

My husband can't cope with the choice in eggs in Aussie supermarkets. I lead him to the egg section and leave him there to make the choice while I checkout a couple of aisles. He might have decided by the time I get back. As his signature dish is scrambled eggs it is very important that he gets it right....

I don't worry.... he's happy in his egg world...
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:27 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

So this morning I'm in Woolworths doing the weekly shop and keeping an eye out for bargains, natch. And I wander down the aisle next to the fruit and veg to get some eggs and I'm presented by this ****ing wall of them. I even took a photo of the eggs in question (because someone would inevitably suggest I'm talking rubbish), but I couldn't fit them all in - they extended a good metre either side of this image.

And I'm thinking to myself, what in the name of all that's holy are people banging on about when they whine about lack of choice in the supermarkets here? How many different kinds of egg do you need in your life? Am I disfunctional because the 50 or so different kinds of egg that Woolworths sell is enough for me?

http://imgur.com/w1ieCl.jpg
l think the whinging Poms who constantly complain about crap supermarkets in OZ shop at different supermarkets from the rest of us. l find the problem is theres too much choice and variety its hard to choose what to buy. As you said 50 different varieties of eggs, there must be also 50 varieties of breakfast cerial, 50 varities of coffee and tea, bread and just about everything else.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 4th 2009 at 1:31 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:20 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

http://imgur.com/w1ieCl.jpg
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Its the different types of tinned tuna you can get out there I have never here in UK seen so many different types, i.e. with lemon with cracked pepper!!!!! and soups unbelievable!!

Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.