Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chippy's,joiners and kitchen fitters in Oz.

Chippy's,joiners and kitchen fitters in Oz.

Old May 30th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Chippy's,joiners and kitchen fitters in Oz.

Hi there,
Because we're not shipping anything out before we fly out to Brissy,Im having to take my tools and bits with us in our cases.Can the tradies already over there and those who have done the same please help me in deciding what goes and what stays! items already on the pile inc; 2 Makita pistol drills,Estwing hammer,8 various size chisels,pouch and holster, square, beval, 2H pencils, block+door plane, bit set, clamps, brown plugs,tape measure etc etc. Did anyone not take something and then think ...POO I've got one of them at home.Are there merchants like Jewsons,T.Perkins etc that I can get gear from that I dont bring?Im letting the airline know of my loaded cases and I suppose I'll have to stop and declare when we land??
Can anyone advise?? O and offer me a job while youre there!
WATCH OUT BRISSY!! THERE'S A NEW CHIPPY IN TOWN (well...nearly)
Old May 30th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chippy's,joiners and kitchen fitters in Oz.

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hi there,
Because we're not shipping anything out before we fly out to Brissy,Im having to take my tools and bits with us in our cases.Can the tradies already over there and those who have done the same please help me in deciding what goes and what stays! items already on the pile inc; 2 Makita pistol drills,Estwing hammer,8 various size chisels,pouch and holster, square, beval, 2H pencils, block+door plane, bit set, clamps, brown plugs,tape measure etc etc. Did anyone not take something and then think ...POO I've got one of them at home.Are there merchants like Jewsons,T.Perkins etc that I can get gear from that I dont bring?Im letting the airline know of my loaded cases and I suppose I'll have to stop and declare when we land??
<TUT> must be havin' there first cuppa..wakey wakey east coast
Old May 30th 2006, 10:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
There's nothing on your list that can't be bought here. Don't bother with the plugs you'll need gyprock ones here. Estwing leather bound 20oz retail for $60 bucks at the moment on special in the local hardware shop.
They even have pencils here, I believe the missionaries bring them for us savages
Old May 31st 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cresta57
There's nothing on your list that can't be bought here. Don't bother with the plugs you'll need gyprock ones here. Estwing leather bound 20oz retail for $60 bucks at the moment on special in the local hardware shop.
They even have pencils here, I believe the missionaries bring them for us savages
Arrrhh sarcasm the lowest form of wit and no where else does it it show its ugly head than on sites or fellow workers!thanks for your reply..for a chippy 2H pencils are our lives!! no pencils= ball ache city!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

O and I bet me Screwfix account might as well be knocked on the head?? Mitre 10 is like a B&Q I take it? Do builders/tradies use these types of retailers for most of there everyday gear sand/cement/timber/tools etc?.. just interested
Old May 31st 2006, 8:47 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh you're gonna get right stung with your overweight baggage! My husband (chippy) had to go and work in Germany once and took his tool box - cost him an arm and a leg to get it there and back. Mind you, it has to be cheaper than shipping a container lol

We're not taking anything with us when we go, except tools obviously and clothes.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:28 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

O and I bet me Screwfix account might as well be knocked on the head?? Mitre 10 is like a B&Q I take it? Do builders/tradies use these types of retailers for most of there everyday gear sand/cement/timber/tools etc?.. just interested
There aren't many other options to be honest. Most of the builders buy sand and cement from a landscapers/garden centre as they have the facilities for storing bulk products. Timber is readily available from the multitude of small timber mills. There's about 8 mills milling soft or hardwood just in our local shire, plus the travelling one man bands with a "Lucas Mill who cut down your trees and mill the timber on site.
Bunnings or mitre 10 supply the bulk of the rest of stuff, yes, even your trusty 2b pencils can be bought there.
As for screwfix I'd bring as many screws as you can most of the ones here are diabolical use a cordless and the heads just twist off, cheap shitty Chinese imports.
Good screws are hard to find oeerr madam
Old May 31st 2006, 11:35 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
There aren't many other options to be honest. Most of the builders buy sand and cement from a landscapers/garden centre as they have the facilities for storing bulk products. Timber is readily available from the multitude of small timber mills. There's about 8 mills milling soft or hardwood just in our local shire, plus the travelling one man bands with a "Lucas Mill who cut down your trees and mill the timber on site.
Bunnings or mitre 10 supply the bulk of the rest of stuff, yes, even your trusty 2b pencils can be bought there.
As for screwfix I'd bring as many screws as you can most of the ones here are diabolical use a cordless and the heads just twist off, cheap shitty Chinese imports.
Good screws are hard to find oeerr madam
OOh that's good to know as we have thousands of screws in our garage - ahem so to speak
Old May 31st 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you
Old May 31st 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Hi there,
Wanna buy a DeWalt Router and worktop jig !!!????
Old May 31st 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tofster
Wanna buy a DeWalt Router and worktop jig !!!????
Worktop jig!!....blimey me suit case is chocker now

E-bay em'