Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrenswear - new business

Childrenswear - new business

Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:25 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Childrenswear - new business

Hi all,
Wanted to get some views on my idea.
We are moving to the Sunshine Coast very shortly and planning to set up my own business.
I am a fashion graduate and i am planning on designing and making my own childrenswear for sale, selling on a commision basis to begin with/ or a stall.
Anyway i looked on the web for childrenswear in this area and was horrified with what i found, now i don't know if i just came along the wrong sites but it all looks like country bunchkin clothing.
I know a load of mums are probably going to hark on about no Next etc. but i think you have PumpkinPatch don't you? Which is a fave of mine
My question is: Is there a market here for someone like me? Or do the Ozzie's just like funny clothing?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrenswear - new business

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi all,
We are moving to the Sunshine Coast very shortly and planning to set up my own business.
I am a fashion graduate and i am planning on designing and making my own childrenswear for sale, selling on a commision basis to begin with/ or a stall.
Anyway i looked on the web for childrenswear in this area and was horrified with what i found, now i don't know if i just came along the wrong sites but it all looks like country bunchkin clothing.
I know a load of mums are probably going to hark on about no Next etc. but i think you have PumpkinPatch don't you? Which is a fave of mine
My question is: Is there a market here for someone like me? Or do the Ozzie's just like funny clothing?

Its a beachy place, the dress code is casual as you can get, my kids only own board shorts and T shirts and sun protection gear, pretty much the same for girls with the odd dress from somewhere like pumpin patch or myer for special occasions. Much of OZ is like that, hot climate you dont really dress up much at all. Not really country bumpkin, just cheap and casual thats what sells.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Before we moved here my kids were like poster children for Next. Getting dressed up these days means smart thongs I pick up Pumpkin Patch stuff in the sale but bathers, denim shorts and boardies are all the rage in our house.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:31 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said.....you'd prob do ok for special occasion clothing - but for every day stuff here its shorts, singlets and thongs
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly casual but I do see lots of kids in the pink/purple cr*p that Next turn out, only this stuff has the Target label and is cheaper so 'some' British souls turn their noses up at it I think they'd do quirky providing you make it child proof
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:29 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Around bayside the kids seem to wear quite nice clothes and my daughter's aussie friends wear the same kind of things she likes - also if you go out to the theatre (I took my daughter to a ballet in Brisbane - wearing clothes from the UK!) everyone gets very dressed up and the only places you can get really nice dressy clothes is Pumpkin Patch and dresses from Myers/David Jones - so maybe there would be a market out there, Pumpkin Patch have quite a limited range - I guess you would need to do more research but I'm sure there is potential. If you fancy doing adult clothes I found a desperate shortage of decent office wear on a recent shopping trip!

Mrs Datamile

Last edited by datamile; Feb 16th 2008 at 8:30 am. Reason: Just realised I'm on OH's computer!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

and if there is not a market in Brisbane, there is in Melbourne.

I like Target stuff for babies, but the other day I went into a children's wear shop in a suburb called Hawthorn (Glenferrie Road). They had a Dolce and Gabbana dress for a one year old in the sale half price- $100!
There must be a demand for it
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

No Idea is an unknown quantity at this point

Babywear - bigger demand than childrenswear as alot of Mums like to dress up their babies. Very little cute items for boys compared to girls around.

However for 6yr old plus girls, clothes that are not tarty, Brittany Spears look etc, I would think you would find a demand for. I, for one, know that it is getting harder and harder to buy something for almost 6yr old (who is tall) and not look like she is working at Kings Cross. The little girls here in France are very stylish and dont look tarty at all (even in the 40 degree heat!)

Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:46 pm

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by No Idea
Babywear - bigger demand than childrenswear as alot of Mums like to dress up their babies. Very little cute items for boys compared to girls around.

However for 6yr old plus girls, clothes that are not tarty, Brittany Spears look etc, I would think you would find a demand for. I, for one, know that it is getting harder and harder to buy something for almost 6yr old (who is tall) and not look like she is working at Kings Cross. The little girls here in France are very stylish and dont look tarty at all (even in the 40 degree heat!)

Good luck
Great, love making boy's clothes, i have two so great as models! I am thinking 3months to 5 years...nothing tarty!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Good luck betsyboob. I think childrens clothes is a good buisness to get into. I know when my children where small and I did not have much money the children all ways came first and I know a lot of parents are like me. good quality childrens clothes should always sell well
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
Good luck betsyboob. I think childrens clothes is a good buisness to get into. I know when my children where small and I did not have much money the children all ways came first and I know a lot of parents are like me. good quality childrens clothes should always sell well
Thanks, that's what i think too
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

dont know what you mean by funny clothing.... target and kmart, BigW etc all do stuff and (as someone put on here recently) they bought an outfit in target which was exactly the same as one from next (if that kind of thing really bothers people)

my only advice is dont go too expensive, there is an expensive baby and kids clothes shop in bunbury and no-one is ever in there or shops there as it is way overpriced.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Noosa is probably your best bet in Queensland, there is already a kids designer wear shop there (there may even be 2 now) and its definately where people would expect to find that kind of stuff. Also, Eumundi markets are very, very popular and may be a good place to start off. There's a huge variety of stuff there but mainly home made and to an excellent standard.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by bridie
dont know what you mean by funny clothing.... target and kmart, BigW etc all do stuff and (as someone put on here recently) they bought an outfit in target which was exactly the same as one from next (if that kind of thing really bothers people)

my only advice is dont go too expensive, there is an expensive baby and kids clothes shop in bunbury and no-one is ever in there or shops there as it is way overpriced.

I hope they didn't get a outfit EXACTLY the same.....that would be a crime
When i said funny clothing...i saw a company called Applehouse and another one, think it was SNUGBUG or something? I don't mean to be rude but it looks as if they may have cut a few curtains up in the process of making their items