Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrens orthoptists/ opticians in Oz?

Childrens orthoptists/ opticians in Oz?

Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Childrens orthoptists/ opticians in Oz?

Just wondering if anyone knows do visits to Orthoptists and opticians for children come under medicare or do you have to pay, if so what are general costs as my under 2 has to have glasses. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens orthoptists/ opticians in Oz?

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Just wondering if anyone knows do visits to Orthoptists and opticians for children come under medicare or do you have to pay, if so what are general costs as my under 2 has to have glasses. Thanks in advance.
It will depend on the optician you go to - go to one that bulk bills. This means the appointment and test will not cost more than government fees plan. (meaning it goes via medicare direct assuming you are PR and do not have to pay a difference - see other threads)

The glasses frames and lenses cost will depend on what you choose - there are cheaper options but not NHS free

As an adult I can spend (just did) $2100 for three pairs of glasses and test. I I did go for sunglasses (2pair) with designer frames (low designer) and a new pair of bendy frames for my main pair.

The latest adverts off TV here have specsaver glasses from $80 per pair. Usually only if you choose the basic frames and have not +2-2 avg.

So as an estimate only if you are paying more than $200 for glasses per pop including appointment it may be too much. But to get shatterproof etc for a wee one might be more.

hope this helps - but others might have more information

Last edited by Sandra; Sep 20th 2008 at 1:51 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:39 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We are moving to Sydney in December because my hubby works with Specsavers and is going to work at a branch in Sydney. I'll see if he knows about kids glasses etc with Specsavers in Australia when he gets home from work if you like. He might know what's what.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

With an under 2 requiring glasses I think you would be better off going to an ophthalmologist rather than an optician at least in the first instance - they are medical practitioners and part of their fee would be covered under medicare but unless they take pity on you and bulk bill (yeah right) there will be a co-payment.

Frames and lenses may be covered in part if you have private medical insurance otherwise you do have to pay for them but I daresay you wont be wanting designer frames just yet
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old has just started to wear glasses - and the total cost to us in the UK..... £10!! Mmm, I can see her costing us a small fortune when we move to Oz, esp cos we're not on a perm visa.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your replies, i have managed to get three sets of frames here to take so hopefully will just need to get lenses changed when we see the Orthoptist as they will fit her face for a while yet.