Reload this Page >

Childrens allowance

Childrens allowance

Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Eastbam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childrens allowance

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Wasn't there the case of the romanians coming over (to Ireland) and registering for the dole and childrens allowance and going back to romania and getting this money every month in to their bank account which would be a lot in romania. This I am afraid stuffed it up for the rest of us because they got caught although they got away with it for a few years. The government changed their system after this.

To those who don't know, we in Ireland get 332 euros child benefit per month per child from the government regardless of whether you are a millionaire or an ordinary joe soap.

We also get a very generous 6 months maternity leave which when added on to your annual leave and bank holidays and days due can sometimes add up to 8 months plus.

Aarrgghh!!! Why are we leaving???????:curse:

BTW what is the maternity leave in OZ, I am hearing so many conflicting stories. Is it up to the employer there. Heard its not good.
Hello,

only to clarify: the romanians you're talking about are in fact gipsies (roma people). Useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people

Please know that because someone is Romanian it doesn't automatically mean they are Roma gypsies.Thats like saying that Irish people abroad are all Travellers. The majority of Romanians here have all got correct visas and are contributing to both the Irish economy and society, whether its a hotel or the health service (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140250AAv3Jkq)

Sorry for the off-topic. There's absolutely no need to reply to my post.
Have a nice day!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you talking about UK Child Benefit or something in Oz? If you mean the UK I think you need to write to them.
I'm talking about the UK one. Thanks !
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

I want to know how you get EUR332 per child and I get the same for 2 children ??????
Hiya
Can't remember how I calculated it now but I think it was the standard 160 per month plus the 1100 per year divided by 12 (which is only 251 per month, hang on and I will remember how I did it)
I'll ask the missus, she's an accountant.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Eastbam
Hello,

only to clarify: the romanians you're talking about are in fact gipsies (roma people). Useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people

Please know that because someone is Romanian it doesn't automatically mean they are Roma gypsies.Thats like saying that Irish people abroad are all Travellers. The majority of Romanians here have all got correct visas and are contributing to both the Irish economy and society, whether its a hotel or the health service (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140250AAv3Jkq)

Sorry for the off-topic. There's absolutely no need to reply to my post.
Have a nice day!
Ah sure I will anyway!
I was in fact talking about romanians and not the roma people. Most of the roma people "residing" in Ireland do not qualify for social welfare or indeed childrens allowance (and actually a lot haven't even applied for it). They come here to beg, steal and cause a nuisance and then move on, they have no desire to work or settle.
The romanians on the other hand register for work and get a pps number and then when they find themselves out of work they apply for social welfare and then head back home to the motherland. I wasn't implying that it is only romanians who do this just that they were the ones who got caught. It is quite a widespread problem in Ireland with all the immigrant communities (as well as a lot of Irish living abroad-spain mainly).
It is happening with all nationalities, latvians, estonians, polish, slovaks, portuguese, even Dutch and Italians have been doing it!!!
As of from today the government is requesting that all new social welfare applicants and existing applicants not from Ireland will have to sign on at the post office once a week to get the dole.

BTW why did you link me to a forum discussing Irish racists???
I know they contribute a lot to the Irish economy and not just in restaurants and hospitals as you are saying. There are a lot of successful romanian businessmen and woman living here in Ireland.
Have a good day.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Ah sure I will anyway!
I was in fact talking about romanians and not the roma people. Most of the roma people "residing" in Ireland do not qualify for social welfare or indeed childrens allowance (and actually a lot haven't even applied for it). They come here to beg, steal and cause a nuisance and then move on, they have no desire to work or settle.
The romanians on the other hand register for work and get a pps number and then when they find themselves out of work they apply for social welfare and then head back home to the motherland. I wasn't implying that it is only romanians who do this just that they were the ones who got caught. It is quite a widespread problem in Ireland with all the immigrant communities (as well as a lot of Irish living abroad-spain mainly).
It is happening with all nationalities, latvians, estonians, polish, slovaks, portuguese, even Dutch and Italians have been doing it!!!
As of from today the government is requesting that all new social welfare applicants and existing applicants not from Ireland will have to sign on at the post office once a week to get the dole.

BTW why did you link me to a forum discussing Irish racists???
I know they contribute a lot to the Irish economy and not just in restaurants and hospitals as you are saying. There are a lot of successful romanian businessmen and woman living here in Ireland.
Have a good day.
Thanks for your answer!
Yes, I know that it happens with all the nationalities. As you've mentioned only romanians I thought you might be confused by the terms romanians/roma people (hence the links). Considering your answer it's obvious that you are aware of the differences. It makes me sad that everybody (or the majority) choose the romanians as a universal negative example. It's the latest fashion in Europe, so why not! Hopefully it's a different situation downthere.

All the best!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eastbam
Thanks for your answer!
Yes, I know that it happens with all the nationalities. As you've mentioned only romanians I thought you might be confused by the terms romanians/roma people (hence the links). Considering your answer it's obvious that you are aware of the differences. It makes me sad that everybody (or the majority) choose the romanians as a universal negative example. It's the latest fashion in Europe, so why not! Hopefully it's a different situation downthere.

All the best!
No problem.
BTW my wife is Ukrainian and her mothers side of the family have a Romanian background so I know a lot about the problem. I have travelled a lot in Ukraine (and Hungary, Moldova and Bulgaria - but not Romania) and have seen the problems in those four countries with the Romani community.

Chernivtsi (Cernăuţi) in bukovyna where she is from was in fact part of Romania from 1918 till 1944 and still has a large romanian community, there is a romanian consulate there as well. I have met many of them and they are fine people.

I didn't mention this family connection before because I was wondering what your response was going to be without this knowledge.

BTW I presume you are Romanian? What part are you from.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:27 am
Just Joined

No problem.
BTW my wife is Ukrainian and her mothers side of the family have a Romanian background so I know a lot about the problem. I have travelled a lot in Ukraine (and Hungary, Moldova and Bulgaria - but not Romania) and have seen the problems in those four countries with the Romani community.

Chernivtsi (Cernăuţi) in bukovyna where she is from was in fact part of Romania from 1918 till 1944 and still has a large romanian community, there is a romanian consulate there as well. I have met many of them and they are fine people.

I didn't mention this family connection before because I was wondering what your response was going to be without this knowledge.

BTW I presume you are Romanian? What part are you from.

Hello,

great to know about your family connections
I didn't mention that I'm romanian for the same reason as yours . I'm from Timisoara, Romania's second largest city (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhyF...eature=related). Since 2006 I'm living in Palermo, Sicily. As my wife's working contract finishes at the end of this year, we are actively looking for a better place to live. If everything goes well this place will be Melbourne, fingers crossed!

All the best!