Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child left behind, can they follow at a later date?

Child left behind, can they follow at a later date?

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:24 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough
Default Child left behind, can they follow at a later date?

Hi can anyone advise me on a difficult issue. I have a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship, I've discussed me moving to Aus with her and she just wants me to be happy and says that when she get older she might want to come and live with me in Aus!
Would this be possible?
Her mother is very insistant that she will respect my daughters wishes and allow her to go if she so wishes (not sure how true this would be if it really happened).
I really don't know where I could obtain such information?

Thanks for any help offered
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice
Default Re: Child left behind, can they follow at a later date?

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Hi can anyone advise me on a difficult issue. I have a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship, I've discussed me moving to Aus with her and she just wants me to be happy and says that when she get older she might want to come and live with me in Aus!
Would this be possible?
Her mother is very insistant that she will respect my daughters wishes and allow her to go if she so wishes (not sure how true this would be if it really happened).

This is a bit of a unique situation, but I imagine it would just be a case of sponsoring her on a child visa which you can do if you are a citizen or permanent resident.

There's a booklet about this at:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1128.pdf

Generally, I think the child needs to be under 25 to qualify. If she is over 18 when she migrates then there are some conditions such as she must be full-time student and never been married.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Would this be possible?

Under current rules (which could always change), sponsoring a natural child for migration is normally very straightforward. You do not have to be the custodial parent, although the usual child custody/consent requirements will apply.

Provided the child is aged under 18 and single. It gets much harder once the child turns 18.

Look at the information on the DIMIA site regarding child migration.

Also be aware that your daughter will still need to do a medical for you to be granted PR, even if she's not a visa applicant.

Jeremy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:24 am
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Under current rules (which could always change), sponsoring a natural child for migration is normally very straightforward. You do not have to be the custodial parent, although the usual child custody/consent requirements will apply.

Provided the child is aged under 18 and single. It gets much harder once the child turns 18.

Look at the information on the DIMIA site regarding child migration.

Also be aware that your daughter will still need to do a medical for you to be granted PR, even if she's not a visa applicant.

Jeremy

Thank you so much for the reply, took a big weight off my shoulders now knowing that if she decides she wants to join me she can