Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child care - help!

Child care - help!

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Child care in Sydney - help!

Does anyone know of any good childcare in the North Sydney area? We are hoping to move to the Lane Cove area but are having trouble finding childcare. So are happy to move to wherever we can find childcare!
Are there any chains in Aus that are known for good childcare? Does anyone use family day care - and think it is good? Any day care centres that are known to be worse than others?
Any recommendations or tips would be gratefully received.

Last edited by Parker; Apr 11th 2005 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 11:34 am
Just Joined

steve2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child care - help!

Childcare is always tricky - huge waiting lists and not being able to look round. Can't help you with info on Sydney but hopefully someone will.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 1:08 pm

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Child care in Sydney - help!

This link might help you:

http://www.careforkids.com.au/
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks v much i'll take a look
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

ABC/Peppercorn are one of the largest chain of childcare centres. Check out http://www.childcare.com.au/locations/nsw.htm

Lane Cove
175 Longueville Road
LANE COVE NSW 2066
Telephone: (02) 9418 7000
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dracupg
ABC/Peppercorn are one of the largest chain of childcare centres. Check out http://www.childcare.com.au/locations/nsw.htm

Lane Cove
175 Longueville Road
LANE COVE NSW 2066
Telephone: (02) 9418 7000
E-mail: [email protected]

Hi - thanks for this.
We called them but just to let folk know that this is no longer part of the ABC chain. According to the centre they now only offer before and after school care for school aged children.

Am looking at other ABC centres in the N Sydney region - does anyone know if they have a good reputation?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:09 am

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Parker
Hi - thanks for this.
We called them but just to let folk know that this is no longer part of the ABC chain. According to the centre they now only offer before and after school care for school aged children.

Am looking at other ABC centres in the N Sydney region - does anyone know if they have a good reputation?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but out of interest with all the calls you're making, what's the average waiting list time you're being told you'll have to wait in order to get a space for your baby? I'm interested to find out as we're also considering the Lower North Shore but thought that it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks,
SC
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sweet Chilli
Sorry I can't answer your question, but out of interest with all the calls you're making, what's the average waiting list time you're being told you'll have to wait in order to get a space for your baby? I'm interested to find out as we're also considering the Lower North Shore but thought that it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks,
SC
Not many places will give us a time for the wait as they say its too hard to say - it depends when places become available. Some have 30 on the list, others have 100! They could all drop out one day or it could take months.

An alternative is family day care - same as child minders here. Not sure what the wait list is for them, nor how to find a good one from overseas.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

KerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I have been looking into childcare in general and can pass on some websites I came across - dont know how helpful they will be, but anyways...

http://www.nswfamilydaycare.com.au/

www.bubhub.com.au

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/c...re_centres.asp

www.sydneypinkpages.com.au

www.kidzcare.com.au

www.expectastar.com.au/

Hope they are useful

Kerry
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sweet Chilli

Thanks,
SC
Waiting lists are long - 12 - 18 months. you have to pay a fee to put your name down so will be spending 2-3 hundred pounds just doing that. Need to be on as many waiting lists as possible. If you're looking to live in the area make finding child care your first priority. We're starting to panic now looks like we may struggle when we arrive. Have to wait and see i guess
Hope this helps