Child Care

Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all
Default Re: Child Care

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Thank you, Am looking at going back to work in the very near future,and as thats what I enjoy doing,and have the relevant experience/references, I would like to step back into that. Its good to know that some people would be happy to use a nanny,was thinking that many people use day care facilities instead.
Just FYI, I have been looking for a nanny recently in Sydney and my first port of call has been the ads on Gumtree. Might be a good place to start advertising for your area as it costs you nothing to get on there.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
ONly if you are on a Permanent Visa, if on a Temp Business Visa you do not get any rebate for child care costs.
I have also been reading this thread with interest! We have a 163 visa (state sponsored provisional visa for business owner) and hope to reach the figures required to submit an application for permanent residency in Jan 2012, hopefully an 892, if not an 890. I have been looking at the immi.gov.au website, and on these visa descriptions under the 'How this visa works' page it says the following:
Social security
With this visa you are unable to access social security payments.
Family assistance
With this visa you are unable to access family assistance.

I was really stunned (not to say disappointed) that I wouldn't be eligible for any childcare rebate. I know this all my choice so I shouldn't whinge, but it's really tough to try to deal with a newborn baby and bill $25,000 per month...

Please, someone tell me I'm mistaken about the rebate!!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
Just FYI, I have been looking for a nanny recently in Sydney and my first port of call has been the ads on Gumtree. Might be a good place to start advertising for your area as it costs you nothing to get on there.
Thank you. I have been looking on Gumtree. There are a fair few decent looking jobs. I will need someone to look after my own kids early in the morning , till me or hubby gets back late afternoon. I have looked at before/after school care. Some I have seen say $22.50 for before school care, $20 after school care. I was wondering if this is per child? Thats $85 a day if it isnt .
Lisa, I hope you manage to get something sorted out ok
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moonfish
Thank you. I have been looking on Gumtree. There are a fair few decent looking jobs. I will need someone to look after my own kids early in the morning , till me or hubby gets back late afternoon. I have looked at before/after school care. Some I have seen say $22.50 for before school care, $20 after school care. I was wondering if this is per child? Thats $85 a day if it isnt .
Lisa, I hope you manage to get something sorted out ok
As far as I can tell most nannies expect to be looking after more than one child in your home, and the price is per hour, not per child for the nanny working in your home. However if you send the child to a childcare centre I have been quoted costs of $65 per day (but that place closes at 3.30pm), and there is also the council-approved home carers, I have been quoted $85 a day for these, and that rate is per child, and for the full day. Some places close entirely during school holidays so that's another consideration.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I have also been reading this thread with interest! We have a 163 visa (state sponsored provisional visa for business owner) and hope to reach the figures required to submit an application for permanent residency in Jan 2012, hopefully an 892, if not an 890. I have been looking at the immi.gov.au website, and on these visa descriptions under the 'How this visa works' page it says the following:
Social security
With this visa you are unable to access social security payments.
Family assistance
With this visa you are unable to access family assistance.

I was really stunned (not to say disappointed) that I wouldn't be eligible for any childcare rebate. I know this all my choice so I shouldn't whinge, but it's really tough to try to deal with a newborn baby and bill $25,000 per month...

Please, someone tell me I'm mistaken about the rebate!!
bill $25000 a month???? What on earth is that figure for? I'm afraid your suspicions are correct, as far as I am aware until you get a Perm Visa or Citizenship you are not entitled to Child Care Rebate. Long Day Care centres usually stay open till 6pm, some a bit earlier at 5.30 but shop around. Pre and After school care prices vary but most only operate during term time but some offer a Holiday Care program as well.
As for costs, Pre and After school care charge set rates but some also do a combined package for both plus a reduction in price if kin go there as well.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Makes you wonder how people ever get back to work, when they have children, doesnt it?. You have to earn loads to make it worthwhile. Either that, or like was mentioned before, rely on your friends a whole lot. So many times I wish my parents, or hubbys parents lived close by ,as opposed to the other side of the world. I know they would seriously jump at the chance of looking after the kids....... or so they say .
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:18 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Makes you wonder how people ever get back to work, when they have children, doesnt it?. You have to earn loads to make it worthwhile. Either that, or like was mentioned before, rely on your friends a whole lot. So many times I wish my parents, or hubbys parents lived close by ,as opposed to the other side of the world. I know they would seriously jump at the chance of looking after the kids....... or so they say .
Well for us it worked out that wife was working for half her pay!! It wasn't ideal but at the time necessary, now our son is full time at school and she no longer has to work and life is good. But full time child care can be expensive, our choice was based on the notion that he performs well in a group of peers and his behaviour is better rather than being stuck at home with Mum and having no peers to explore games with.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
bill $25000 a month???? What on earth is that figure for? I'm afraid your suspicions are correct, as far as I am aware until you get a Perm Visa or Citizenship you are not entitled to Child Care Rebate. Long Day Care centres usually stay open till 6pm, some a bit earlier at 5.30 but shop around. Pre and After school care prices vary but most only operate during term time but some offer a Holiday Care program as well.
As for costs, Pre and After school care charge set rates but some also do a combined package for both plus a reduction in price if kin go there as well.
Figure is for permanent residency Business Owner visas. Visa 890, bill $300,000 per annum plus GST, or if we get State sponsorship then visa 892, bill $200,000 per annum plus GST. Trouble is we can't just turn over the minimum in case we have one client cancel on us, as then it would take us a few months to find and sign up a new client and ramp up the income from them. And there's only 2 of us in the business to earn it, hence the need for childcare. Irony is the business doesn't even have to make a profit, it's all on turnover!! So it looks like the Child Care rebate might kick in on citizenship, not permanent residency for me.

Last edited by Lisa and Martin; Sep 17th 2011 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:45 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Figure is for permanent residency Business Owner visas. Visa 890, bill $300,000 per annum plus GST, or if we get State sponsorship then visa 892, bill $200,000 per annum plus GST. Trouble is we can't just turn over the minimum in case we have one client cancel on us, as then it would take us a few months to find and sign up a new client and ramp up the income from them. And there's only 2 of us in the business to earn it, hence the need for childcare. Irony is the business doesn't even have to make a profit, it's all on turnover!! So it looks like the Child Care rebate might kick in on citizenship, not permanent residency for me.
er...ok...sorry I am so NOT the psrson to speak to about this!! lol
I understand child care and I understand 457...I do NOT understand Business....patently!!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread -wondering if anyone can advise me if you are able to claim the childcare rebate for 'occassional' childcare?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsista
Interesting thread -wondering if anyone can advise me if you are able to claim the childcare rebate for 'occassional' childcare?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can.

Childcare Benefit: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payme...-care-benefit/

Childcare Rebate: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payme...are-rebate.php
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Thanks for that. Much appreciated!