Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain Workcover to me?

Can anyone explain Workcover to me?

Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of
Default Can anyone explain Workcover to me?

I've broken my leg after a fall from my pushbike and now my employer is telling me to sort everything out through Workcover. Fortunately I should be able to work at home most of the time for the first few weeks, so I'm not having to think about claiming lost income. However, they seem a bit too laid back about the rehab process. They have basically said "sort yourself out with a physio and you can claim the bills back from Workcover." They also said I should be coming into work by taxi, if needed, and claiming those fares back.
Has anyone had any experience of this system? Do you get all your fees back or is it like Medicare where you often end up with a gap fee? Any advice appreciated.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:26 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone explain Workcover to me?

Cycling to or from work? If so workcover will pay some medical expenses. Or states do not cover commuting. Work cover is a state based mandatory insurance to cover working injuries.
Originally Posted by michael_w
I've broken my leg after a fall from my pushbike and now my employer is telling me to sort everything out through Workcover. Fortunately I should be able to work at home most of the time for the first few weeks, so I'm not having to think about claiming lost income. However, they seem a bit too laid back about the rehab process. They have basically said "sort yourself out with a physio and you can claim the bills back from Workcover." They also said I should be coming into work by taxi, if needed, and claiming those fares back.
Has anyone had any experience of this system? Do you get all your fees back or is it like Medicare where you often end up with a gap fee? Any advice appreciated.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Yeah, I was cycling home from work and knocked off my bike conveniently outside the Royal North Shore Hospital, who told me it would be a Work Cover thing. Got a phone call from Workcover after I came out of hospital and they gave me a number but not sure what to do with it.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:40 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the NSW Work cover site. I've gone to the injuries and claims page. Hopefully you might find some helpful information there!

Hope you make a good quick recovery.