Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Old May 12th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Hi Sue

just wondered how the reunion went and if Chester is settling into his new home??

Hope all is well

Chris
Old May 13th 2005, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

He's doing fine thanks.
Not too happy when we picked him up from Quarantine But has settled in well here.
Loves his morning walkies on the beach, and has met lots of other friendly dogs. I thought of you the other morning when there was a pack of about 8 goldies running down Whitford Beach - amazing !!
Take care
Sue
Old May 13th 2005, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by suecroft
He's doing fine thanks.
Not too happy when we picked him up from Quarantine But has settled in well here.
Loves his morning walkies on the beach, and has met lots of other friendly dogs. I thought of you the other morning when there was a pack of about 8 goldies running down Whitford Beach - amazing !!
Take care
Sue
Glad to hear your dogs settleing in well, We picked our Jack russle up from byford the 1st week in April and he has only just regained his bark back!!
And here our neibours were thinking he was a lovely quiet dog
Old May 13th 2005, 5:26 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

He's doing fine thanks.
Take care
Sue

Sue,

Hope you dont mind me running something by you.

We have a golden retriever puppy, 'Harley' is 4 months old & he is literally chewing everything in his path,even his tail!,nothing is safe! digging holes in the garden,nipping at the kids clothes when they pass by him etc...
We kept Boxers before who are notorious for chewing but Harley really does take the biscuit!
Is this normal behaviour from a retriever? I know he,s a puppy & although i expected puppy behaviour this certainly seems somewhat ott!
He,s by no means bored,hes walked twice a day,the kids are always playing with him,we have an enclosed garden for him to run around in.
Even after all this i still cant keep my eyes off him for a minute,unless he,s asleep!
Did you have any puppy problems with Chester? & do you have any ideas on how i can control his behaviour or just hope for the best that he outgrows it?

Donna.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by madsad
Sue,

Hope you dont mind me running something by you.

We have a golden retriever puppy, 'Harley' is 4 months old & he is literally chewing everything in his path,even his tail!,nothing is safe! digging holes in the garden,nipping at the kids clothes when they pass by him etc...
We kept Boxers before who are notorious for chewing but Harley really does take the biscuit!
Is this normal behaviour from a retriever? I know he,s a puppy & although i expected puppy behaviour this certainly seems somewhat ott!
He,s by no means bored,hes walked twice a day,the kids are always playing with him,we have an enclosed garden for him to run around in.
Even after all this i still cant keep my eyes off him for a minute,unless he,s asleep!
Did you have any puppy problems with Chester? & do you have any ideas on how i can control his behaviour or just hope for the best that he outgrows it?

Donna.

Hi Donna,

We got a Goldie in September last year and had much the same problem as you just read your post to my 13 yo who's dog it is, and he said pleased to hear someone had the same problem.Ours is 11months old now chews the silliest of things ariel wires outside, speaker wires and even the plug off the stereo fortunately it wasnt plugged in!!!

Our breeder advised a cage and a froend of ours keeps her lab in one in the day sounds cruel but having seen it like huge playpen.

We just made sure he had loads of his own things one of the easiest things was old cuddlies which he destroyed but thats why we gave him them. Socks are a real problem we now dont have any what with the ones you lose and now the dog eats them !!

They are a lovely breed very much want to be with you ours is worse first thing in the morning before you come down, the other thing ours likes is a pop bottle takes him a while but he chews the lid off then plays with the bottle keeps him amused for ages.

They really are like babies Simba if chastised will sulk and i liken him to the kids as toddlers!!! lol

Any way good kuck will check see what advice Sue gives you as very interested myself, he's not as bad but if left with certain things he chews. he's not chewedb any furniture tho so there's something to be grateful for.

Hey anyway didnt you post saying land lord wouldnt let you have a dog???
What's happened, change of heart or change of landlord?

Chris
Old May 13th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

He's doing fine thanks.
Take care
Sue

Hi Sue

really pleased he is ok Adam said to ask did you go visit him or did you wait till you picked him up??

8 goldies wow an amazing sight.........are there any restrictions there about dogs on beaches?

How are things going? all settling in I hope

Chris
Old May 13th 2005, 9:32 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi Donna,

We got a Goldie in September last year and had much the same problem as you just read your post to my 13 yo who's dog it is, and he said pleased to hear someone had the same problem.Ours is 11months old now chews the silliest of things ariel wires outside, speaker wires and even the plug off the stereo fortunately it wasnt plugged in!!!

Our breeder advised a cage and a froend of ours keeps her lab in one in the day sounds cruel but having seen it like huge playpen.

We just made sure he had loads of his own things one of the easiest things was old cuddlies which he destroyed but thats why we gave him them. Socks are a real problem we now dont have any what with the ones you lose and now the dog eats them !!

They are a lovely breed very much want to be with you ours is worse first thing in the morning before you come down, the other thing ours likes is a pop bottle takes him a while but he chews the lid off then plays with the bottle keeps him amused for ages.

They really are like babies Simba if chastised will sulk and i liken him to the kids as toddlers!!! lol

Any way good kuck will check see what advice Sue gives you as very interested myself, he's not as bad but if left with certain things he chews. he's not chewedb any furniture tho so there's something to be grateful for.

Hey anyway didnt you post saying land lord wouldnt let you have a dog???
What's happened, change of heart or change of landlord?

Chris

Hi Chris,
No the owner changed his mind & let us have a dog,

We bought him a cage last weekend,we used to have one for our Boxer just didnt know if they were available here until we went to one of the bigger pet stores.
It does sound cruel having him in a cage but in a way its better for him not getting a telling off every 10 seconds!!

Donna.
Old May 24th 2005, 4:28 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, our goldie Mungo chewed and dug his way through the first two years of his life. I gave up on the garden - the holes were ridiculous. He used to steal dishcloths and sponges from the sink in the kitchen. Teatowels, any thing. He's now nearly 3 1/2 and has given up these puppy like traits!.

We are picking him up from Byford Wednesday week. I have visited him twice so far. The first time, he would not come near us for a full hour. You wouldn't have believed he was our dog, completely mad, skittish, very sad. The second time was tons better. He came when called, followed commands and was my dog again. He's barking like a loonie though, which I hope is a temporary state because he never barked before!

I can't wait to take him for his first beach run and swim - the family will be complete.
Old May 24th 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

We've been really lucky. Chester has never chewed anything !! Carries stuff around a lot, always brings you something when you come home - sock - teddy - ball, whatever he can find on the floor.
We did'nt visit him at Byford, probably more for our sakes than his, I would have hated having to leave him again.
He's been home with us for 3 weeks now !! Back to his normal self. I can even leave him for a few hours on his own, he's got used to the house. Guaranteed when I get back he's asleep !! Well he is 7.
Got used to his routine - midweek - take Ben (son) to school in the car with Chester in the back then drive to Whitford Dog Beach Whitford, fairly close to Hilarys on the sunset drive. He knows as soon as we get there and sits up looking around. I'm normally there at 8.40 am, then we have our run on the beach, he's not used to the sea though - keeps barking at the waves. Do about half an hour then head home for a wash off with the hosepipe. Sand gets everywhere.
In the morning there are ususally about 12 / 14 dogs on the beach - all really friendly. When you get Mungo let me know and we can meet up.
I'm going to log some photos when I get round to it.
www.familycroft.com

All the best woofs and wags.
Sue & Chester