Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Wikiposts

Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough
Default Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

My baby has arrived in Perth ahead of us safe and well.
I was a little worried when I dropped him off at Golden Arrow Shippers and they told me his travelling companion was going to be a black cat !
He flew out at 9.30pm on Thursday and arrived at Perth Quarantine Station on Saturday morning.
Phoned quarantine on Monday ( they don't answer their phones at the weekend) and spoke to a lovely girl. She said he had a pretty traumatic journey - he is so soft and daft it terrified him.
When they took him out of his travel box he was shaking all over.
They got the vet out to him who said he had a buid up of lactic acid in his muscles, gave him an injection, walked around a little and now he's out playing with the other dogs.
We don't arrive until the 19th April so if anyone else out there is picking up their animals from quarantine inbetween can you say a big hello to Chester Croft and give him a cuddle from me.
Sue
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

Originally Posted by suecroft
I was a little worried when I dropped him off at Golden Arrow Shippers and they told me his travelling companion was going to be a black cat !
He flew out at 9.30pm on Thursday and arrived at Perth Quarantine Station on Saturday morning.
Phoned quarantine on Monday ( they don't answer their phones at the weekend) and spoke to a lovely girl. She said he had a pretty traumatic journey - he is so soft and daft it terrified him.
They got the vet out to him who said he had a buid up of lactic acid in his muscles, gave him an injection, walked around a little and now he's out playing with the other dogs.
We don't arrive until the 19th April so if anyone else out there is picking up their animals from quarantine inbetween can you say a big hello to Chester Croft and give him a cuddle from me.
Sue

Oh blimey. We have a goldie, Murphy, and my husband is a little worried about the experience because like Chester, our Murphy is really loopy and scared of his own shadow! We were also surprised that he would have to keep his legs crossed for the whole flight!!??

We were quoted £2,500 by Air Pets :scared:

How much did you have to fork out - if i may ask????
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

They got the vet out to him who said he had a buid up of lactic acid in

his muscles, gave him an injection, walked around a little and now he's out playing with the other dogs.
Sue
Arrrr Sue

not a dog lover till we got our golden retriever in september last year, now your post bought tears to my eyes!!!!!!

Nice to actually speak to the person looking after him tho'.
How old is he? ours will be about 15 months by the time we go,

They must all have an element of fear, but golden retrievers are so human, ours certainly would be expecting to travel on the seat next to us!! lol

Pleased he arrived safely, would be interested to know how he settles, ours is already struggling with the heat in England and its only just warming up!!!

Chris- another Golden Retriever fan!!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Arrrr Sue

not a dog lover till we got our golden retriever in september last year, now your post bought tears to my eyes!!!!!!

Nice to actually speak to the person looking after him tho'.
How old is he? ours will be about 15 months by the time we go,

They must all have an element of fear, but golden retrievers are so human, ours certainly would be expecting to travel on the seat next to us!! lol

Pleased he arrived safely, would be interested to know how he settles, ours is already struggling with the heat in England and its only just warming up!!!

Chris- another Golden Retriever fan!!!

It would be cheaper if he did have a seat next to you!!!!

we have thought about putting ours in a suit and flying him business class - still be cheaper!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rooksie
It would be cheaper if he did have a seat next to you!!!!

we have thought about putting ours in a suit and flying him business class - still be cheaper!!

Too right!!!!

Initial quotes for the six of us still cheaper than one dog travelling in a box!!!!

Did think about about abandoning him, leaving him a map of Australia, and let him take himself, seen dogs on tv doing it loads of times!!!!!! lol

before get loads of angry replies only joking love him really!!!!

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Too right!!!!

Initial quotes for the six of us still cheaper than one dog travelling in a box!!!!

Did think about about abandoning him, leaving him a map of Australia, and let him take himself, seen dogs on tv doing it loads of times!!!!!! lol

before get loads of angry replies only joking love him really!!!!

Chris

Well if Lassie can do it, right???

Have thought about stricking him in the boot of my car!!!! but car will cost £4,500 - how mad is that!!????
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well if Lassie can do it, right???

Yes but didnt some other dogs do it too, can't remember the film!!

Have thought about stricking him in the boot of my car!!!! but car will cost £4,500 - how mad is that!!????
Yeah but bet he won't keep his legs crossed in your car!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

walked around a little and now he's out playing with the other dogs.

do they exercise them regularly at perth quarantine center? Melbourne don't exercise them at all

Jax
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Glad to hear he is in safe hands now.........you must have had a worrying couple of days!!!
He is going to lick you to death when you pick him up!!! :scared:
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

He's 7 yrs old and it cost £2,200 plus we need to pay the quarantine kennels and vet in Perth seperately.- yep Business Class is cheaper !!
Apparently they can play out in a pen type area when they are there. The girl I spoke to at Perth quarantine was really lovely. Said I could phone again anytime to check on him as we are still in UK.
I was dreadful when I dropped him off - big tears !!
We did consider leaving him here with relatives but decided in the end that at 7 he'd be OK, much older I don't think we would have put him through it.
Big dogs seem to travel worse than small dogs, and Chester is a tad overweight !!
Can't wait to see him when we arrive
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Thumbs down Re: Chester ( Golden Retriever) has arrived in Perth !!!

He's 7 yrs old and it cost £2,200 plus we need to pay the quarantine kennels and vet in Perth seperately.- yep Business Class is cheaper !!
Apparently they can play out in a pen type area when they are there. The girl I spoke to at Perth quarantine was really lovely. Said I could phone again anytime to check on him as we are still in UK.
I was dreadful when I dropped him off - big tears !!
We did consider leaving him here with relatives but decided in the end that at 7 he'd be OK, much older I don't think we would have put him through it.
Big dogs seem to travel worse than small dogs, and Chester is a tad overweight !!
Can't wait to see him when we arrive

Yikes - not cheap is it. however, i think it will be more settling for our daughters to have Murphy around - christ knows, big enough upheaval as it is without losing their dog aswell!! so, looks like he's coming too - if we get that far, i hope!!!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Yikes - not cheap is it. however, i think it will be more settling for our daughters to have Murphy around - christ knows, big enough upheaval as it is without losing their dog aswell!! so, looks like he's coming too - if we get that far, i hope!!!

We have been offered lots of homes for ours, but 13 year old refuses to leave without him so thats sorted just saved 3 grand!!! yippee

Seriously, must agree with you, got dog before made decision to go to oz, and kids and us would be very upset now to part with him.

Not sure what wewould be doing if counting pennies!!

My big worry was that if we don't like it that i had read somewhere quaranteen is 6 months on returning to Uk, if we are only there a short time its a lot of separation.

Chris
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

I worked with someone that did it the other way and apparently there was no quarantine Oz to UK.
You'd need to check that though.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:32 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Feel really guilty now as we are not taking our Goldie.
Decided that it would be too much for him as he hates kennels (tried it for a week once, when we picked him up his hair was coming out in handfuls, apparently due to stress)
Found a nice family for him who live out in the country and they already have a Goldie so he will have doggie company.
The way he looks at me now is like he nows exactly whats happening (haven't told the 3 kids yet,although we have hinted)
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Feel really guilty now as we are not taking our Goldie.
Decided that it would be too much for him as he hates kennels (tried it for a week once, when we picked him up his hair was coming out in handfuls, apparently due to stress)
Found a nice family for him who live out in the country and they already have a Goldie so he will have doggie company.
The way he looks at me now is like he nows exactly whats happening (haven't told the 3 kids yet,although we have hinted)
Really feel for you particularly when you tell your kids, think mine would flatly refuse to go without ours, we plan to send ours to kennels for a few weekends before we go, hope he fares better,as dont know what we'll do, but like you may have to put dogs needs before our own!

Know what you mean about him knowing but I am sure he will be happy in his new home, have your kids seen him playing with this other dog?

Good luck
Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.