Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheaper oz->uk flights? iata rule change

cheaper oz->uk flights? iata rule change

Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:30 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default cheaper oz->uk flights? iata rule change

just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4176671.stm

should mean you can book oz->uk->oz flights in the uk - and that's about $500 cheaper!!!!

woohoo!!!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheaper oz->uk flights? iata rule change

Originally Posted by brisnick
just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4176671.stm

should mean you can book oz->uk->oz flights in the uk - and that's about $500 cheaper!!!!

woohoo!!!

About time!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:45 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Be interested to see any good travel agents web sites to see if this is happening.

Anyone got any outside of UK?

Stu
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like seriously good news
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:30 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent the link to my agent to see what he makes of it as I'm currently booking our tickets.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth is Japan excluded
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:42 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone explain to me how this works?? Not wanting to appear stupid!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BKate
Can anyone explain to me how this works?? Not wanting to appear stupid!
Put simply - most travel agents/airlines will only sell a ticket to a person to fly from the country that they are currently in.
For example - Iits hard to buy an OZ-UK return from the UK, it usually has to be bought in Oz (where its more expensive). This will mean that you can buy the ticket from here, through a UK travel agent, at the UK price.

Hope that makes sense!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:57 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Pollyana, yup that makes sense, so could someone in the UK buy an oz-uk ticket for someone in Australia??
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BKate
Thanks Pollyana, yup that makes sense, so could someone in the UK buy an oz-uk ticket for someone in Australia??
In theory I think they can, however, not all travel agents will sell it as the flight is being done "backwards" - selling in the UK they want you to do the leg from the UK first. However, I think people have done it, its just a question of finding the right agent I think.
I did a brief airline ticket course a couple of years ago, and the emphasis was definitely on selling with the country of purchase as the point of departure.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In theory I think they can, however, not all travel agents will sell it as the flight is being done "backwards" - selling in the UK they want you to do the leg from the UK first. However, I think people have done it, its just a question of finding the right agent I think.
I did a brief airline ticket course a couple of years ago, and the emphasis was definitely on selling with the country of purchase as the point of departure.
Basically this has been overtaken by technology. The development of electronic ticketing and booking direct with airlines has rendered many of the old rules obsolete.

I've heard stories about needing a UK credit card to book flights in the UK, but of course some migrants keep a UK credit card and only accepting cards issued in a particular country could well be contravention of Visa/Mastercard rules.

Jeremy
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Does this mean that when i am in Australia I will be able to book and pay for flights from a british travel company for my parents who are in the UK. My parents are both deaf without speech and do not have a computer so I have been worrying how i can arrange flights for them to australia when we are there?
Sorry if i now sound stupid too but this sounds exciting.
irene
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:21 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Anyone got anymore information on this?

Or have you found cheap agents?

Stu