Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap wifi and mobile for One month Only during UK visit??

Cheap wifi and mobile for One month Only during UK visit??

Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap wifi and mobile for One month Only during UK visit??

I always buy a Three all you can eat plan (30 days £20) which is best for unlimited data but you can't tether to your laptop. If you have a smartphone, and you don't mind watching youtube videos on the small screen, then that's a good short term option for your trip.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hiya and thanks again.

Does anyone know how much an international text costs on Giffgaff? I won't use any wifi on my mobile, in fact my UK mobile I use doesnt have the option for wifi, as it is an older model.
Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Skype are the ways to go when sending texts overseas. All free too

I got a SIM and phone from EE when I was there last year. Can't remember what it cost but it was pretty cheap. I had more than enough data and call allowance. Their 4G is okay although not as good as what we get in Australia. I got decent coverage wherever I went

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 21st 2016 at 7:01 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I always buy a Three all you can eat plan (30 days £20) which is best for unlimited data but you can't tether to your laptop. If you have a smartphone, and you don't mind watching youtube videos on the small screen, then that's a good short term option for your trip.
Hi guys, re the above does this include calls and texts? Or is it separate?

Also, I have a Chromecast. If I had unlimited data, could I look up something on my phone and then project it onto my laptop eg. utube video.

I have an iphone 4S, would that be suitable for the above?

Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi guys, re the above does this include calls and texts? Or is it separate?

Also, I have a Chromecast. If I had unlimited data, could I look up something on my phone and then project it onto my laptop eg. utube video.

I have an iphone 4S, would that be suitable for the above?

Thanks
The All-in-one 20 add on gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and unlimited data to use within 30 days. You add it to the 321 SIM card for PAYG

The thing with chromecast is if you had the phone as a hotspot, the chromecast would pull down the data directly - making that tethering and thus a no-no. In theory you could cast/mirror the iphone screen to the chromecast, but I seem to remember it was hard to get to do that with apple in the way (I think you needed to jailbreak).

As for hiding the tethering, I think THREE have got smarter in recent times and it's now difficult to hide that you are tethering (certainly on iphones, android have more inherent flexibility).