Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

Old May 12th 2016, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

For anyone travelling in the next few weeks to London, I've recently booked return flights to Heathrow from Melbourne and noticed that Royal Brunei are offering returns from Melbourne to London for $998 in a sale. There is currently availability in the next few weeks returning in May / June on various dates.

I've used the airline twice in the last two years and found them to be a good alternative to the usual carriers. They fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner via their home base in Brunei and Dubai, so 2 stops to London. You should also be aware that they are a dry airline; it didn't trouble me and probably helped to offset the jetlag!
Old May 12th 2016, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
. You should also be aware that they are a dry airline; it didn't trouble me and probably helped to offset the jetlag!
That would count me out, but thanks for the tip. Strange though. Isn't the Sultan a major boozer?
Old May 12th 2016, 10:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing about flying Royal Brunei is being able to stop over in Brunei - a fascinating country with next to no tourist industry. Strongly recommended.

BB
Old May 12th 2016, 11:04 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That would count me out, but thanks for the tip. Strange though. Isn't the Sultan a major boozer?
He's caught religion and is in the process of turning his country into a hell hole run by sharia - probably as a way of keeping his control.

As per normal, its "do as I say, not as I do".
Old May 12th 2016, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The best thing about flying Royal Brunei is being able to stop over in Brunei - a fascinating country with next to no tourist industry. Strongly recommended.

BB

A little tip for the ladies stopping over at the airport. There is one Western toilet at the end of the row of cubicles. My squat hating youngest child used the squat and my other one who will drop her dacks to pee anywhere jagged the only non squat.
Old May 13th 2016, 10:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, get a day stop over and have a tour around. We had a flight changed so they put us up in a hotel for a night, we did a river trip and a general wander around, it's lovely, the people are great and it was a great experience. The airport is pretty dire though.
Old May 13th 2016, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
A little tip for the ladies stopping over at the airport. There is one Western toilet at the end of the row of cubicles. My squat hating youngest child used the squat and my other one who will drop her dacks to pee anywhere jagged the only non squat.

I did have a chuckle at your story! The contrast between Brunei and Dubai airports in the same trip is quite an eye-opener, but for me, that's what travel is all about. I think my daughter would be like your youngest - I'll be sure to pass on your tip to her.
Old May 13th 2016, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

I did a two week project go-live in Jakarta back in 2006, Officially, alcohol is not available outside of the major tourist hotels, but the FD of our host company took us out for a thank you on our last night - we would go into these ordinary looking café establishments and be wafted into a back room where alcohol magically became available; it's certainly not widely publicised, but if you know where to go and - more to the point - who to speak to, it's not an issue at all.
Old May 13th 2016, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
I did a two week project go-live in Jakarta back in 2006, Officially, alcohol is not available outside of the major tourist hotels, but the FD of our host company took us out for a thank you on our last night - we would go into these ordinary looking café establishments and be wafted into a back room where alcohol magically became available; it's certainly not widely publicised, but if you know where to go and - more to the point - who to speak to, it's not an issue at all.
Really. When I did a 2 week stint there on 2013 there were bars galore in the area I was staying. Booze in all the places in the shopping centres where the locals seems to hang out.

Jakarta is the pits though. Not in a rush to head back.
Old May 13th 2016, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Really. When I did a 2 week stint there on 2013 there were bars galore in the area I was staying. Booze in all the places in the shopping centres where the locals seems to hang out.

Jakarta is the pits though. Not in a rush to head back.

Yes, I don't doubt that it has become more liberalised, but this article suggests that the tide isn't all one-way:

Prison, fines await drinkers - The Jakarta Post

Regarding Brunei, I think it would make a great stopover for a day or two as others have suggested.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Mr BS flew with them many years ago when we first met. He swears that it was his best flight ever (in economy anyway, he has got a bit precious since he met me and requires business now). He had loads of room to spread out.

And I occasionally fly dry myself, through choice and it really does make a huge difference, in a positive way. Feel better and my skin feels more hydrated. If only I didn't enjoy champagne so much..

I am flying to Sydney on Thursday and am going to go dry. Yes I am.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; May 13th 2016 at 6:44 pm.
Old May 13th 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

I am flying to Sydney on Thursday and am going to go dry. Yes I am.
Moving back again?
Old May 13th 2016, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Moving back again?
Just a holiday.

Old May 14th 2016, 11:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Every flight I've taken in the past 20 years has been dry. Drinking alcohol on a flight is madness, for me anyway. I kind of like being headache free, sleeping well on landing, not feeling dehydrated etc etc etc. Each to their own.
Old May 14th 2016, 12:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Every flight I've taken in the past 20 years has been dry. Drinking alcohol on a flight is madness, for me anyway. I kind of like being headache free, sleeping well on landing, not feeling dehydrated etc etc etc. Each to their own.
I always have 2 bloody Marys pre-flight, champers on-board before take off, another bloody mary after take-off - and tons of water the rest of the flight. Never have any ill effects, must be a piss-head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.