British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheap-fares-mel-lhr-royal-brunei-877364/)

Rhubarb65 May 12th 2016 1:24 pm

Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

For anyone travelling in the next few weeks to London, I've recently booked return flights to Heathrow from Melbourne and noticed that Royal Brunei are offering returns from Melbourne to London for $998 in a sale. There is currently availability in the next few weeks returning in May / June on various dates.

I've used the airline twice in the last two years and found them to be a good alternative to the usual carriers. They fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner via their home base in Brunei and Dubai, so 2 stops to London. You should also be aware that they are a dry airline; it didn't trouble me and probably helped to offset the jetlag!

Beoz May 12th 2016 7:46 pm

Re: Cheap fares MEL - LHR with Royal Brunei

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65 (Post 11946266)
. You should also be aware that they are a dry airline; it didn't trouble me and probably helped to offset the jetlag!

That would count me out, but thanks for the tip. Strange though. Isn't the Sultan a major boozer?

Buzzy--Bee May 12th 2016 10:28 pm

The best thing about flying Royal Brunei is being able to stop over in Brunei - a fascinating country with next to no tourist industry. Strongly recommended.

BB

GarryP May 12th 2016 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11946585)
That would count me out, but thanks for the tip. Strange though. Isn't the Sultan a major boozer?

He's caught religion and is in the process of turning his country into a hell hole run by sharia - probably as a way of keeping his control.

As per normal, its "do as I say, not as I do".

Kim67 May 12th 2016 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11946719)
The best thing about flying Royal Brunei is being able to stop over in Brunei - a fascinating country with next to no tourist industry. Strongly recommended.

BB

A little tip for the ladies stopping over at the airport. There is one Western toilet at the end of the row of cubicles. My squat hating youngest child used the squat and my other one who will drop her dacks to pee anywhere jagged the only non squat.

moneypenny20 May 13th 2016 10:06 am

If you can, get a day stop over and have a tour around. We had a flight changed so they put us up in a hotel for a night, we did a river trip and a general wander around, it's lovely, the people are great and it was a great experience. The airport is pretty dire though.

Rhubarb65 May 13th 2016 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11946766)
A little tip for the ladies stopping over at the airport. There is one Western toilet at the end of the row of cubicles. My squat hating youngest child used the squat and my other one who will drop her dacks to pee anywhere jagged the only non squat.

I did have a chuckle at your story! The contrast between Brunei and Dubai airports in the same trip is quite an eye-opener, but for me, that's what travel is all about. I think my daughter would be like your youngest - I'll be sure to pass on your tip to her.

Rhubarb65 May 13th 2016 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11946585)

I did a two week project go-live in Jakarta back in 2006, Officially, alcohol is not available outside of the major tourist hotels, but the FD of our host company took us out for a thank you on our last night - we would go into these ordinary looking café establishments and be wafted into a back room where alcohol magically became available; it's certainly not widely publicised, but if you know where to go and - more to the point - who to speak to, it's not an issue at all.

Beoz May 13th 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65 (Post 11947035)
I did a two week project go-live in Jakarta back in 2006, Officially, alcohol is not available outside of the major tourist hotels, but the FD of our host company took us out for a thank you on our last night - we would go into these ordinary looking café establishments and be wafted into a back room where alcohol magically became available; it's certainly not widely publicised, but if you know where to go and - more to the point - who to speak to, it's not an issue at all.

Really. When I did a 2 week stint there on 2013 there were bars galore in the area I was staying. Booze in all the places in the shopping centres where the locals seems to hang out.

Jakarta is the pits though. Not in a rush to head back.

Rhubarb65 May 13th 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11947050)
Really. When I did a 2 week stint there on 2013 there were bars galore in the area I was staying. Booze in all the places in the shopping centres where the locals seems to hang out.

Jakarta is the pits though. Not in a rush to head back.

Yes, I don't doubt that it has become more liberalised, but this article suggests that the tide isn't all one-way:

Prison, fines await drinkers - The Jakarta Post

Regarding Brunei, I think it would make a great stopover for a day or two as others have suggested.

Bermudashorts May 13th 2016 6:30 pm

Mr BS flew with them many years ago when we first met. He swears that it was his best flight ever (in economy anyway, he has got a bit precious since he met me and requires business now). He had loads of room to spread out.

And I occasionally fly dry myself, through choice and it really does make a huge difference, in a positive way. Feel better and my skin feels more hydrated. If only I didn't enjoy champagne so much..

I am flying to Sydney on Thursday and am going to go dry. Yes I am.

Beoz May 13th 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11947390)

I am flying to Sydney on Thursday and am going to go dry. Yes I am.

Moving back again?

Bermudashorts May 13th 2016 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11947522)
Moving back again?

Just a holiday.

:nod:

moneypenny20 May 14th 2016 11:32 am

Every flight I've taken in the past 20 years has been dry. Drinking alcohol on a flight is madness, for me anyway. I kind of like being headache free, sleeping well on landing, not feeling dehydrated etc etc etc. Each to their own. :lol:

spouse of scouse May 14th 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11947879)
Every flight I've taken in the past 20 years has been dry. Drinking alcohol on a flight is madness, for me anyway. I kind of like being headache free, sleeping well on landing, not feeling dehydrated etc etc etc. Each to their own. :lol:

I always have 2 bloody Marys pre-flight, champers on-board before take off, another bloody mary after take-off - and tons of water the rest of the flight. Never have any ill effects, must be a piss-head :lol: