Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap calls from Oz to UK?

Cheap calls from Oz to UK?

Old May 15th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheap calls from Oz to UK?

Originally Posted by cranni
Im on AAPT 59 dollar cap. I can ring UK and NZ and there are other countries, and it is capped at $59. Plus line rental
The mobile numbers and local calls worked out very expensive, so i have got $49 VODAPHONE worth $230 of calls. Mobile is next to the house phone and we use this for all other calls. Just hoping it works out cheaper.
When I did the $49 cap on Vodafone PAYG, I only got a limited amount of international time - check the terms on their website as I was really about it
Old May 15th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
When I did the $49 cap on Vodafone PAYG, I only got a limited amount of international time - check the terms on their website as I was really about it
Hi Tilly
The mobile is just for local and mobiles, as they where expensibe with AAPt.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi Tilly
The mobile is just for local and mobiles, as they where expensibe with AAPt.
D'oh - silly me - sorry LOL

Old May 15th 2006, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Yeah we have Vodaphone mobiles with the $49 cap and as you say only get either 20 mins or $20 worth of International calls.

Still, bundles of advice about alternatives so will try them out.

To be honest I'm gonna go for the card type first and see how we. I'll give Skype or the others mentioned a go if still no joy.

Thanks everyone ...
Old May 15th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah we have Vodaphone mobiles with the $49 cap and as you say only get either 20 mins or $20 worth of International calls.

Still, bundles of advice about alternatives so will try them out.

To be honest I'm gonna go for the card type first and see how we. I'll give Skype or the others mentioned a go if still no joy.

Thanks everyone ...
Does Skype take up a lot of "bandwidth"? We're on a 10gig cap with bigpond and it drops to 64kbps after that. I'm just thinking if Skype doesn't take much of our upload/download "allowance" it might be worth it
Old May 15th 2006, 7:51 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Does Skype take up a lot of "bandwidth"? We're on a 10gig cap with bigpond and it drops to 64kbps after that. I'm just thinking if Skype doesn't take much of our upload/download "allowance" it might be worth it
Oh don't mention Bigpoo and their 10gb cap!

I got conned into a 2 year contract thinking it was 'unlimited' and it is, but only unlimited up to 10Gb ...

Which reminds me I need to call em to get out of it, but NOT if I have to pay 2 years worth of payments.

I've spoke via email and they said to call if I want to go ahead and cancel, but didn't say if I'd be penalised.

Gonna call em now I think, don't want a cap, and certainly don't want a 2 yr contract!
Old May 15th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh don't mention Bigpoo and their 10gb cap!

I got conned into a 2 year contract thinking it was 'unlimited' and it is, but only unlimited up to 10Gb ...

Which reminds me I need to call em to get out of it, but NOT if I have to pay 2 years worth of payments.

I've spoke via email and they said to call if I want to go ahead and cancel, but didn't say if I'd be penalised.

Gonna call em now I think, don't want a cap, and certainly don't want a 2 yr contract!
I was told that if we want out (say, if we leave the Oz) then we have to pay to get out - can't remember how much though.

Ah, but it IS unlimited - as they don't charge you when you go over limit... they just make it like dialup
Old May 15th 2006, 9:30 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Optus do a plan that is 2.1c per min for ALL international calls to a list of destinations incl UK
Goto any OPTUS WORLD shop and pick up a leaflet. Optus is an alternative to telstra who are about as popular in OZ as BT were in the UK!

We went for telstra in the end mind you cos optus were going to take too long to switch on and we wanted cable broadband and optus couldnt do that for us, shame really

We pay $1 per 20mins calll to UK plus 21c permin thereafter
or
$5.25 for a 60min call to the UK (Its 5.25 for 1st hals hour then the second half hour is free)
Not brilliant but still pretty cheap if you ask me....
Old May 15th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for this post
Old May 15th 2006, 9:35 am
Account Closed

I was told that if we want out (say, if we leave the Oz) then we have to pay to get out - can't remember how much though.

Ah, but it IS unlimited - as they don't charge you when you go over limit... they just make it like dialup
Yeah $360 to get out ...

Best option for us was to go to the 20GB 'unlimited' ...lol, for an extra $29 a month.

20GB in this household (4 pc's) could be eaten up easily, but we'll all have to go easy still, at least you can monitor it from the Bigpoo website.

Only diff with the 20GB plan is when you hit 20GB you don't go down to the pathetic 64kb/s but they bill you $15 for every 100mb you go over! ... :scared:

Best option for us as I say.
Old May 19th 2006, 9:14 am
julie

jubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nice

Yeah $360 to get out ...

Best option for us was to go to the 20GB 'unlimited' ...lol, for an extra $29 a month.

20GB in this household (4 pc's) could be eaten up easily, but we'll all have to go easy still, at least you can monitor it from the Bigpoo website.

Only diff with the 20GB plan is when you hit 20GB you don't go down to the pathetic 64kb/s but they bill you $15 for every 100mb you go over! ... :scared:

Best option for us as I say.
Try oz call that is the cheapest one we have found. 0.5cents a minute. you can get the cards from any newsagents and they should also give you the code you need first.
good luck

julie
Old May 19th 2006, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I use Telstra easy half hours. Get 1 Hour for $5. Suits me - no hassles.
Old May 19th 2006, 9:56 am
Melbourne

deputy dog is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit of a regular this one, but I followed the last thread and didn't find any answers ...

From the UK I could call Australia for 1p per minute, which was fantastic!

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/accessnumbers.php

Does anyone know of anything similar the other way round?

Best I've got is a card that is supposed to be 1.7c per min, but EVERY time I've tried it won't connect to ANY UK numbers, which is handy! ... and I've since give the card to the boy to call his girlfriend over here.

Anyone know of anything?

I'm aware of skype and all that, but the ppl I want to call don't have a PC and I'm looking for the good ole copper wire linkup.

Cheers.
I use the supersaver phone card that i buy from any safeway store here in melbourne, $10 gets you about 700 mins i think, real simple to use and you can top it up over the phone.
Goodluck
Gary