Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheap calls to mobile??

cheap calls to mobile??

Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Question cheap calls to mobile??

My son has recently started boarding school in Perth and wants to talk to us on his mobile phone. we've been doing this so far but it's probably costing us loads...........haven't had this months bill yet!!!
Is there a cheap way of us calling him on his mobile from our home phone? Are there any phone cards that we could use?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: cheap calls to mobile??

Why don't you both sign up with Virgin Mobile ? With their capped plans you can call/text 24/7 free to other Virgin Mobiles. Works for us as a family.

(Of course will only work if you have Virgin/Optus Mobile coverage)
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: cheap calls to mobile??

Thanks Swing-Your-pants, I'll have a look into that.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

Get a 3 skype mobile phone for him. You can call all you like then. I have one and use it to call home in the UK and friends in America absolutely free. Doesnt cost a single cent - not one! You get 4000 minutes a month and it will work in all major cities in Oz. You will either need a computer at your end or another 3 skype phone.

Works a treat for me!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
Get a 3 skype mobile phone for him. You can call all you like then. I have one and use it to call home in the UK and friends in America absolutely free. Doesnt cost a single cent - not one! You get 4000 minutes a month and it will work in all major cities in Oz. You will either need a computer at your end or another 3 skype phone.

Works a treat for me!
Or Pennytel.com 10.5 cents per minute(or part thereof) no flagfall, 8 cents local and national calls untimed. 2 cents per minute to UK. Either use their Softphone, or have a broadband modem capable of Voip connection... Easily the cheapest phone company available in Aus today.

http://www.pennytel.com/call_plans_compare.html
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:10 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants
Why don't you both sign up with Virgin Mobile ? With their capped plans you can call/text 24/7 free to other Virgin Mobiles. Works for us as a family.

(Of course will only work if you have Virgin/Optus Mobile coverage)

Virgin works for us too., because the whole family is on it.

We use pre pay $29 free to v lasts up to 60 days free calls & texts to other virgin mobiles. The kids are only young and not yet into txting loads of mates so I top their phones up with $30 (lasts up to 180 days) or $50 (lasts up to 365 days) free virgin to virgin txts calls to virgin 5c min & 25c connect. If they want to speak to us they just txt us and we call them back for free. I reckon added up I only spend about $45-$50 month for 4 mobiles.

Having said all that the service is not red hot, and it can often take a couple of gos to connect.