Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

View Poll Results: Chavscum or Aussie bluey/singlet/ute??
chavscum!!
31.82%
aussie alternative please...
68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

"Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:53 pm
Badge

Default "Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

I'm going to start an original thread..

On the return to UK forum there is a recent discussion of "chavscum". Incidentally, I saw a bit of this in London, most town shopping centres, but never heard the word until recently.

I said that the "chavscum" proved that there was impoverished, ill-cultured (for want of a better word) people everywhere in the world, even in that last bastion of culture, the UK.

I added my 2c worth and said - I'm trying to compare like with like here - don't want to be one sided - that I would take the Aussie working class battler with his doughnuting ute, stubby holder, "bluey" and singlet any day over the chav equivalent as at least the Aussie is celebrating or identifying with his country's culture and rural history.
(Bit deep I know).

So what do people prefer - the chavscum, or the Aussie bluey/ute/thongs version.

I went to a Rodeo with Hev and HUP and loved it. Can't see myself going to a chavsum festival.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 2nd 2004 at 10:57 pm.

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

badge,

you have lost me completely with this one...Please explain carefully to me what a "chavscum" is please!!!

Am unable to vote without the correct info!!!

have not come across this term yet!!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:03 pm
Badge

Obviously you didn't understand it either at first.

I think - it's those people who wear fashion (fake?) clothing, baggy sweatpants etc with a lot of cheap jewellery - nothing particarlarly offensive but its worn deliberately in a certain way. The Nova cars and the baseball caps in the male also give it away. I've seen girls wear the look with smart penny loafers which is particularly incongruous too.

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
badge,

you have lost me completely with this one...Please explain carefully to me what a "chavscum" is please!!!

Am unable to vote without the correct info!!!

have not come across this term yet!!!!
Does chavscum refer to the baseball capped no-lifes who hang around on street corners in every town in the UK?
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Obviously you didn't understand it either at first.

I think - it's those people who were fashion clothing, baggy sweatpants etc with a lot of cheap jewellery - nothing particarlarly offensive but its worn deliberately in a certain way. The Nova cars and the baseball caps in the male also give it away. I've seen girls wear the look with smart penny loafers which is particularly incongruous too.

BM
Ah right, got it now. OK I'll vote for the ozzie. Gosh that was pretty easy.....
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Am chuckling to myself as i had almost forgotton that people like that really exist!!!

'chavscum' - good word, personally I prefer the term 'scumbags'!!!!

Don't think i've seen any of those type of characters ( those of the dubious attire and the fake 'gold' sovereign rings which turn their fingers green!!!) up here, but plenty of the rough and ready 'aussie bloke' types...very nice they are too!!! Heh-heh!!!

I shall now vote.

Thanks for that, shall remind the hub of 'brit chavscum' when he gets back from work tonight and many a hearty laugh we shall have.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just re-read the original post and noted that generally the 'aussie working class battler' is generally just that - WORKING.

Brit chavscum tend not to bother with the work ( I think its in the chavscum handbook somewhere...)

Before the typical 'argument' starts of: 'aussies don't work too y'know', i'm referring to some of the delish builders, chippies and sparkies who are working opposite our place at the moment in their singlets and tiny short shorts...god, its a hard life for a girl!!!

Have a g'day!!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:24 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Ah right, got it now. OK I'll vote for the ozzie. Gosh that was pretty easy.....

Far too easy.... never was one for hundreds of gold chains and soverigns!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:30 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Just re-read the original post and noted that generally the 'aussie working class battler' is generally just that - WORKING.
good for you...you might get flamed now though!!

I'll tell you a story. I was out in hot Melbourne weather in the yard in my winter clobber last weekend and was boiling. "I need to get myself some shorts I thought."

Every day, I drive past a "hard yakka" clothing store, so to my immense surprise - "no - no" I hear you cry - I found myself drawn in and got a pair of new Blundys and a pair of tightish cotton drill shorts. My firie boots are good when I need steel caps. Is there any hope for me?

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're comparing like for like. Not when I look at Perth anyway.

You have sort of chavscum types here too.
More like hoons and stuff? Found in the 'poorer' suburbs(like the one where I work)
Noone on here that I know lives anywhere near these suburbs in Perth.
I wouldn't say they're the blue singlet guys. That's something else

Anyway, this is too hard anyway. Generalising like this is too hard.

Last edited by Simone; Dec 2nd 2004 at 11:47 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:43 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Simone
I don't think you're comparing like for like. Not when I look at Perth anyway.

You have sort of chavscum types here too.
Mmore like hoons and stuff? Found in the 'poorer' suburbs(like the one where I work)
Noone on here that I know lives anywhere near these suburbs in Perth.
I wouldn't say they're the blue singlet guys. That's something else

Anyway, this is too hard anyway. Generalising like this is too hard.
Indeed, it depends on how you analyse it. See where you are coming from; are we talking about the "working class man" as steadleigh and I touched on, or plain feral "scum" ???!!!

Yes, there is the hoon element too. Some people would say that doughnutting at a rodeo is hooning even if for the crowd.

I suppose at this level, you describe, (in Perth) they're both scum - as I said - it happens everywhere. But I see a lot less chav variety here in Melbourne than in the UK. There is more "feral" here though, but as I said, there attire is based on something real.

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:49 pm
Badge

My spelling is scummy.

PS This is not a flaming post, just a bit of a laugh.

Feral scum vs Chavscum. Leave the poor Aussie/UK battler out of it. I think I am fair, am I not?!

cheers

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

PS This is not a flaming post, just a bit of a laugh.
That's how I took it Badge! Just a laff!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:55 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by tonyk38
That's how I took it Badge! Just a laff!
That's the way, son. You never know with this lot. Simone's post drew my attention to the fact that I had left myself open to attackers. I need a bloody steel helmet let alone boots. (Cheers Simone.)

Cheers.

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, it depends on how you analyse it. See where you are coming from; are we talking about the "working class man" as steadleigh and I touched on, or plain feral "scum" ???!!!

Yes, there is the hoon element too. Some people would say that doughnutting at a rodeo is hooning even if for the crowd.

I suppose at this level, you describe, (in Perth) they're both scum - as I said - it happens everywhere. But I see a lot less chav variety here in Melbourne than in the UK. There is more "feral" here though, but as I said, there attire is based on something real.

BM
First of all, I can't of course compare with the UK
Just going on what you guys are saying!

Now, the word feral, I can do more with that!
Here, they're usually the people with dreadlocks and second hand clothing.
Commonly found in Fremantle for one, which is a bit more 'alternative' than Perth itself.

But feral can describe other types as well I think...

Innyjim has the signature 'feral freo kids'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.