Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

View Poll Results: Chavscum or Aussie bluey/singlet/ute??
chavscum!!
31.82%
aussie alternative please...
68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

"Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:02 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Chavscum" vs Singlet/Bluey!!!

Originally Posted by Badge
That's the way, son. You never know with this lot. Simone's post drew my attention to the fact that I had left myself open to attackers. I need a bloody steel helmet let alone boots. (Cheers Simone.)

Cheers.

BM
Ehh ok..

I'm good at turning funny posts into serious ones, even if I know they were for a laugh

he he.

Ok, better start working now....
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to start an original thread..

On the return to UK forum there is a recent discussion of "chavscum". Incidentally, I saw a bit of this in London, most town shopping centres, but never heard the word until recently.

I said that the "chavscum" proved that there was impoverished, ill-cultured (for want of a better word) people everywhere in the world, even in that last bastion of culture, the UK.

I added my 2c worth and said - I'm trying to compare like with like here - don't want to be one sided - that I would take the Aussie working class battler with his doughnuting ute, stubby holder, "bluey" and singlet any day over the chav equivalent as at least the Aussie is celebrating or identifying with his country's culture and rural history.
(Bit deep I know).

So what do people prefer - the chavscum, or the Aussie bluey/ute/thongs version.

I went to a Rodeo with Hev and HUP and loved it. Can't see myself going to a chavsum festival.

BM
chavs or charvers are everywhere even here in Perth, spot them a mile off, caps, jumpers with tracksuit bottoms on and wearing shoes (rockports if they're real charvers), pathetic. Tracksuit bottoms with shoes, sums it up really.

Hoons don't hang around shopping centres they're to busy burning rubber and nearly killing themselves and other people on the roads.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:01 am
Badge

Originally Posted by walla1
chavs or charvers are everywhere even here in Perth, spot them a mile off, caps, jumpers with tracksuit bottoms on and wearing shoes (rockports if they're real charvers), pathetic. Tracksuit bottoms with shoes, sums it up really.

Hoons don't hang around shopping centres they're to busy burning rubber and nearly killing themselves and other people on the roads.
bloody hell, we're blessed where we are then. Maybe it is because we avoid Fountain Gate...

BM

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

bloody hell, we're blessed where we are then. Maybe it is because we avoid Fountain Gate...

BM
lol definetly.

I think it does vary a lot per suburb in exactly how many and how obvious 'they are'.

See, kath and kim proves it. They are the chav scum types of Australia. Sort of. The female version anyway.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:15 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
lol definetly.

I think it does vary a lot per suburb in exactly how many and how obvious 'they are'.

See, kath and kim proves it. They are the chav scum types of Australia. Sort of. The female version anyway.
they're not in our suburb, they hang around the big shopping centres, Garden City and Carousel, I think I would get a gun license if I seen them around our streets
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

they're not in our suburb, they hang around the big shopping centres, Garden City and Carousel, I think I would get a gun license if I seen them around our streets

And they're down here around where I work (Maddington).

Btw, Maddington was in the news twice in two days now.
Yesterday about a 17 yo girl who was nearly abducted just down the road(walking to the trainstation). Passers by pulled her out of the van again.

Today about that a 23yo woman held up a shop or something just down the road with a knife....

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aussie battler is one part of the Oz class system. They work their arse off in a crap job for little money and are expected to love it. A battler knows its place and moving on up in socirty will bring out the beration of the tall poppy.

Your average battler couldn't afford to go to the Rodeo and their idea of splashing out is getting the special at Dominos. I struggle to reason with the glorification of the battler yet it seems to give them a senseless acceptance of their place in society.

K&K are just suburban types and are not battlers. Their bad taste is common out of city centres.

The closest to Chavscum is the dole bludger and there are plenty of them around. The most famus type is the Westies on fat pizza. They drive clapped out utes, booze all the time and live off maccas and pizza.

Not sure one can be preferred .
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Arn't chavs essex folk who thought they had made it and displayed it with gold chains and mossimo underwear and 200 quid trainers.

The closest thing to a chav would be a burbie as in suburbie, those awful housing estates are full of people who think they have made it because they climed the social ladder up to big mortage and 600sm with a mass produced display home tastefully personalised by picking thier own tiles and laminate

Weekends at bunnings, clone neighbours over for bbq's, status symbols are not gold chains and designer gear but lawnmowers, jetskis and the big status symbol the eurpopean appliance, which you brag about for weeks. Oh and the second hand 4WD which never sees sand dirt or mud

Bludgers, Battlers, Ferals cant be chavs they wear flannos and bare feet and eat pizza usually too grubby and smelly to impress anyone.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 3rd 2004 at 2:51 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:55 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by Simone
And they're down here around where I work (Maddington).

Btw, Maddington was in the news twice in two days now.
Yesterday about a 17 yo girl who was nearly abducted just down the road(walking to the trainstation). Passers by pulled her out of the van again.

Today about that a 23yo woman held up a shop or something just down the road with a knife....

thank your lucky stars, there's been about 4 shootings in Melbourne the past week
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:56 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

I prefer to give the young baseball hat, sweathog wearing young a wide benefit of the doubt. A long time ago, if I remember correctly, I was young too though cursed with sartorial asceticism rather than outright poor taste.

Last night said young, who live somewhat up the road, were slowly driving past my front gate in an old compact car and compacted my neighbour's dog. The neighbours dog is one of those habitually confined, without sheep to tend or other meaningful purpose in life, in their yard but had accidentally been left / let out while the neighbours were away.

They immediately stopped and investigated (the dog) - that is they did not drive on uncaringly. I went down after a short while to tell them that the dog was my neighbours. They caught the dog, chkecked it again, and impounded it in my neighbours yard leaving a note.

Apprehensions based on appearances can prove false.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:58 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by jad n rich

The closest thing to a chav would be a burbie as in suburbie, those awful housing estates are full of people who think they have made it because they climed the social ladder up to big mortage and 600sm with a mass produced display home tastefully personalised by picking thier own tiles and laminate
So that would make a lot of poms the australian version of chavs!!!!!

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thank your lucky stars, there's been about 4 shootings in Melbourne the past week
Not again were coming down again next week, last visit we got 2 minutes into the bus journey to airport and got totally blocked by huge undercover police raid on drug dealership commonly disguised as video arcade. Time before that a guy on our plane was arrested on arrival, speculation was his involvement with the gangland shootings. Lets hope the biggest excitement this time is if jetstar manage to take off within 4 hours of departure time
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
So that would make a lot of poms the australian version of chavs!!!!!

No comment
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:17 am
Badge

[QUOTE=jad n rich]

QUOTE]

lol. Too true!! But a chav I reckon is further down the pecking order here, in both countries. Like I said, forget mainstream.

Burbies (and hard working Essex types!!) are half respectable. Chavs are further down.

I'm out on a limb here, but Essexman/women is characterised by lots of money and materialism on hard effort, - not necessarily the best in taste though - and enterprise - certainly not chavism.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 3rd 2004 at 3:21 am.

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:35 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

I have been called a chav (amongst other things ) many times on this site but refuse to believe people are that stupid, I am what I am and because I choose to wear a Burberry cap or Aquascutum shirt does that make me scum?

BTW we own a 650Sqm block and are choosing our own tiles etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.